Suggestions for gift for deploying service member (what's allowed ? on plane)?

I'm looking to buy a gift for a National Guard service member that is leaving in August for Afghanistan. Something that's going to be of some use in the field.... which brings up the question of whether or not this item will be allowed on the plane. I think the person already has electronic stuff like ipod/iphone/digicam/etc.

Any suggestions? up to $500 or so.

1) night vision mono/binoculars? (nabbed for export reasons?)
2) regular binoculars
3) tactical knife
4) tactical gear

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My sister deployed awhile back and some of the things she wanted/needed most were many things we take for granted here...

Chapstick
Baby Wipes (trust me[wink])
Beef Jerky

I think there was another thread similar to this...

Here's One

Here's another good one

IMO A box with a bunch of this type stuff in it will go a long way in the Sand Box.

Give him something small, maybe a good luck charm that you have cherished for years.

Tell him, "I am giving this to you as a good luck charm, and I want it back when you come home!"

This happened to me........

When I went to Vietnam, my Dad gave me a Liberty Dime that he carried in his pocket for 26 missions in the 100th Bomb Group, flying B-17's during WWII.

He said, " I want this dime back when you come home! Don't F*&^ing lose it!""

I looked at that dime every day in the jungle, and I think it helped me get home, because I knew he would be pissed if I lost it.

Many years later, I gave that same Liberty Dime to a young man that went to Afghanistan. And he came home and gave it back to me.[smile]

He also told me that every time he looked at it, it made him more determined to come home and get through the shit.!

Try this......you won't regret it!

Last edited:
Give him a subscription to a magazine, or get netflix or something and send a movie a week. As far as tactical gear, there Army gives you way too much anyway LOL ... the only other thing I could suggest is give em the 500 bucks and say heres your years worth of Internet access... It cost me 65 bucks a month where I was at .

my brother is in afghanistan as a civilian contractor. his wife got him an ipad so he could have all his music and books in a very compact way. I guess it depends on what he/she wants but the military will give him the tactical stuff he needs.

I was thinking of giving a friend a shurefire flashlight and couple dozen batteries. I really liked the one I have and thought it maybe useful for him. Not sure if that's the type of personal thing that is ok or they have to use what is supplied?

Back
Top Bottom