Suggestions First Shotgun to buy?

Excellent purchase! The Remington 870 is the finest pump gun made, hands down. More accessories are available for the 870 than any other pump. When you start shooting slugs, make sure you try both 2-3/4" and 3" to see what gives better accuracy, and use sabot slugs, 90% of the time they are better than foster slugs. I actually had my best groups with Remington copper solid 2-3/4", though every gun is different. I would have went with a 28-30" barrel for skeet, as they will hold a better pattern, but 26" isn't bad. I hope you enjoy your 870, you have the best gun money can buy. It will last a life time, my father's is 30+ years old, and is still flawless and tackdriving accurate with a Hastings rifled barrel.

Maybe post some pics, most would love to see it!

Kenny

I live literally 4 miles from my club. At lunch time today I went down with my son, shotgun, some 00 buck shot and slugs. We fired off a 1/2 dozen rounds between us to have some fun. WOW. This is the first time my son shot a shotgun. I might have scared him off. These were 2-3/4" shells. I was surprised by the kick those puppies give you. The 3" shells I'm sure would be much more. It was pretty eye opening.

I plan on buying a 30" barrel for trap.

I live literally 4 miles from my club. At lunch time today I went down with my son, shotgun, some 00 buck shot and slugs. We fired off a 1/2 dozen rounds between us to have some fun. WOW. This is the first time my son shot a shotgun. I might have scared him off. These were 2-3/4" shells. I was surprised by the kick those puppies give you. The 3" shells I'm sure would be much more. It was pretty eye opening.

A slug gun is just a pissed off bitch. The closer and tighter you hold her the less she is gonna hurt ya.

I'm glad to see this thread. I've owned handguns for well over a decade but I just bought my first shotgun today: a Remington 870 Pump Action Shotgun.

Need more info.

You say you want to hunt but you do not say what you would like to hunt. A very important part of the equation.

Deer?

Upland birds?

Ducks/Geese?

Turkeys?

small game?

I plan to hunt home invaders, if any are stupid enough to pay me a visit.

Interesting thread... I just picked up an 870 this afternoon. The guy that sold it to me told me i couldn't do trap or clay shooting with it at all, and that it was a great home defense, gun but that was about it. I was a little surprised. I bought it anyway because, everyone I know recommended it and I figured that I could try trap shooting with to see how it does. I thought I read that you could change the barrel on it to adapt it for sporting. Is that right?

If recoil is a problem for your son, don't let him get 'scared off'.

Consider a Knoxx Spec-Ops recoil reducing stock. They do a FANTASTIC job at limiting felt recoil....

Knoxx_stockcutaway.jpg

It's also adjustable for 'length of pull' which may help with your son, and is perfectly legal, on a pump gun.

Last edited:
Interesting thread... I just picked up an 870 this afternoon. The guy that sold it to me told me i couldn't do trap or clay shooting with it at all, and that it was a great home defense, gun but that was about it. I was a little surprised. I bought it anyway because, everyone I know recommended it and I figured that I could try trap shooting with to see how it does. I thought I read that you could change the barrel on it to adapt it for sporting. Is that right?

If you pick up a 28" or longer barrel with screw in chokes you should be fine breaking clays. I'd suggest an improved modified choke for trap and an improved cylinder or skeet choke for skeet.

It is possible to shoot skeet with an 18" smooth bore defense barrel! Just make sure you hit them close and quick! [smile]

XTAV, I shoot skeet with my 870. I use a 28" barrel with improved cylinder choke and have no problems. Good home defense gun as well. I usually shoot 3-4 rounds once or twice a week and the shotgun is great. Too many people have a one dimensional view on a gun's use when the reality is a little training or adaptation will open your options (I was also told to go buy a different gun for skeet and I'm glad I didn't). I am planning on buying an O/U but I don't NEED it and I'll buy when funds allow.

XTAV, I shoot skeet with my 870. I use a 28" barrel with improved cylinder choke and have no problems. Good home defense gun as well. I usually shoot 3-4 rounds once or twice a week and the shotgun is great. Too many people have a one dimensional view on a gun's use when the reality is a little training or adaptation will open your options (I was also told to go buy a different gun for skeet and I'm glad I didn't). I am planning on buying an O/U but I don't NEED it and I'll buy when funds allow.

I haven't taken it out yet. I'm planning on heading to the range when the weather clears.. hopefully Thursday or friday. Where did you get the other barrel? I looked on Midway and it looked like they were a little spendy. I'm not there yet though. I'm gonna put some rounds through it and then for the fall I think I'll start lookin around to modify it.

I got the second barrel from my local shop...they had one they were willing to let go for pretty cheap so I bought it 'in case.'

Back
Top Bottom