Suggestions First Shotgun to buy?

I'm going to buy a shotgun soon. Initially I plan on using it for trap shooting at my club. However, I plan on potentially using it for hunting in the future. Home defence is also a concern but pretty low on my list of priorities for this purchase.

A few of the guys at my club told me to just buy something inexpensive. The most mentioned shotgun specifically was the Remington 870 Combo. I like everything I've read about the Remington 870 with smooth bore and rifled barrel. Sounds good. However, I was thinking of semi-auto. That is not something absolutely have to have but it is heavy on my mind.

Money is always an issue but I can afford a little more than an 870. In general I'm looking for less than $1000.

Can anyone suggest something. Maybe throw out some suggestions and I'll do some more research and ask the guys at my club. Maybe some of them already have one you'll mention and I can try it out.

I've seen the thread on Shotguns 101 but did not get specific enough for me.

Last edited:
Remington 11-87 for an auto loader or an 870 for a pump. Possibilities are endless parts and accessories are abundant and reasonably priced. great guns from hunting to competition to home defense

Remmington 1100. Buy a few barrels/chokes and you can shoot trap, hunt rabbit, bird, and deer. They are semi auto and easy to find used. I have a 1100 and hunt deer, pheasent and shoot trap. great shot gun.

I have had both pump (Remington) and semiautomatic (Benelli M2), and I found I prefer the
870. You can pump a new round in so fast that I don't realistically see how semi-auto
will help. By the time you've got the barrel back on target, you could easily have cycled the action by hand.

At our trap shooting tower, we sometimes load up five round and then set the machine to launch a stream of clays as fast as it can, and it's pretty easy to hit all five targets using a pump action.

What about the Saiga-12? With screw-on external chokes available it can do everything it needs to and still be a badass tactical shotgun at the end of the day [wink]

Thanks everyone. NES is just an awesome resource.

So I have the following order after reading suggestions and poking around:

1. Mossberg 930 -- Reviews are good -- +/- $500
2. Remington 870 -- Reviews are Amazingly good. But pump action. But most reliable. Lots of aftermarket. $500
3. Remington 1100 -- Good reviews -- $750 -- $900
4. Remington 11-87 -- Reviews not so good -- $700 - $800
5. Benelli -- I'm sort of lost here. First what model? Second, a simple search tells me these are pricey. Not sure if I want to spend $1200 or more on my first shotgun
6. Saiga 12 -- This looks to be primarily for self defence. Not exactly what I'm looking for right now but pretty nice none the less. -- +/- $650

Last edited:
Need more info.

You say you want to hunt but you do not say what you would like to hunt. A very important part of the equation.

Deer?

Upland birds?

Ducks/Geese?

Turkeys?

small game?

GOAL has a pair of Beretta AL391s that are really nice. I don't know the differences between all the different models, but they seem to start around $900.

you can find a fine 870 for well under the $500.00 that you lieted. Also, the Benellis are excellent shotguns but unless your very serious about shotgunning or you just have that kind of money and you want the best, you can do the same with a good remington semi or mossberg for that matter. All the gas operated stuff needs to be cleaned now and then and they'll function reliably from what I've seen, regardless of the name on the box it comes in. I'd personally go with a pump for an all around shotgun unless your recoil sensative. They're cheap, reliable, and you can shoot just as many clays or birds or deer with a change of choke tube or change of barrel. Everyone should have a pump and a double around somewhere.

First, I'm just trying to educate myself. I've read on the subject but thought I'd ask folks who know. Appreciate all the feedback. Seriously.

Need more info.

You say you want to hunt but you do not say what you would like to hunt. A very important part of the equation.

Deer?

Upland birds?

Ducks/Geese?

Turkeys?

small game?

I'm thinking Deer and maybe Turkey.

Everyone should have a pump and a double around somewhere.

Awesome. [smile] That is the most refreshing thing I've heard all week. I'm probably going to buy an 870 with an extra barrel. Thanks BOBKATT

STRIKER.JPG

[smile]

First, I'm just trying to educate myself. I've read on the subject but thought I'd ask folks who know. Appreciate all the feedback. Seriously.

I'm thinking Deer and maybe Turkey.

Awesome. [smile] That is the most refreshing thing I've heard all week. I'm probably going to buy an 870 with an extra barrel. Thanks BOBKATT

An 870 combo with a cantilever scope mount rifled barrel for deer and a bird barrel would work excellent.

Let me tell you a little tidbit about pumps for deer hunting. Some of the best deer hunters in the world swear by the pump action. The Beniots from Vt use only pump action rifles. They are known world wide for their amazing record tracking down and killing trophy bucks in the northeast. http://www.gnproductions.com/ Click on the scrapbook links in the sidebar.

I only use a pump shotgun when hunting deer here in Mass and other shotgun only states. There is a technique you can use that actually gets you back on target faster and more accurately for a second shot. When you take a shot and then rack the pump when pushing it back out push it straight back out at the target/animal. It naturally puts you right back on target.

I shoot a Mossberg model 500 Trophy slugster in 12 guage. Fantastic deer gun. Dual adjustable comb, cantilevered, rifled and compensated/ported slug barrel, Bird barrel with 3 chokes. I get 3 inch groups at 125 yards with lightfield 3" commander sabot slugs. And it is even cheaper than the 870.

slugster.gif

Hands down and without a doubt, Beretta 391 w/ 30" barrel! The Beretta 391 semi is a very soft shooter, and a well made gun.

I've been to many clubs shooting both trap and skeet and once you eliminate all the real pricey guns, the 391 is probably the most popular.

Most of the guys that buy the 870's and the 1100's all want a 391 once they have shot mine.

The 391 fits within your budget and will hold it's value extremely well. If you shop hard and buy one lightly used you will never lose a dime on it.

You are welcome to try mine anytime.

you cannot go wrong with a nice Remington 870 pump or Mossberg 500 pump. both guns are very customizable and you can buy home defense barrels for ether of them.

I was semi-joking around about the Benelli pumps above. I have a SuperNova that's easy on the shoulder, and AFAIK, pumps are typically harder on the shoulder than a semi. Thus I would imagine the Benelli semis are even easier.

A SuperNova is nice because you can get them for $500 new or less if used.

It's probably a good idea to come up with a short list, and then visit a few shops and see what feels good. If you can shoot them, better yet, but you're not likely to find a friend who has one of every gun you're considering buying.

Beretta 686 over and under.

It can hold two rounds, which is all you need, so its good for any clay sports or hunting. No pumping required. Its also very well made, very reliable and has great balance. They also break down for storage and transportation.

I ended up getting a Remington 870 express combo (26' smooth bore and 20' rifled) for now as I need to learn on something and so many people told me not to drop a ton of money on my first shotgun. I held the Mossberg, 590 I think, right next to it. Remington just seems to be a much better made shotgun IMHO (being pre-drilled for sight mount was interesting though but not enough).

I went to shoot Trap this morning at my club (Maspenock) for the first time ever. Really great group of guys out there today and they gave me a 1/2 hr. tutorial. Showed me how to shoot a target to get an idea of the pattern of pellet spread. Good stuff.

Round #1 14/25 clays
Round #2 11/25 clays

I feel it a little in my shoulder afterward but hardly worth mentioning. I'm sure if I did 2 or 3 more rounds it might be an issue. With more experience though or a recoil pad it would be no issue at all I'm sure.

My next purchase will probably be another barrel. God I love this stuff.

I feel it a little in my shoulder afterward but hardly worth mentioning. I'm sure if I did 2 or 3 more rounds it might be an issue. With more experience though or a recoil pad it would be no issue at all I'm sure.

Wait till you shoot off a couple slugs, especially 3" slugs. [laugh2]

Congrats on the purchase, it will serve you well!!

Rem 870 and never look back very reliable and a great shooter
You buy barrels for everything also ,trap ,slug,bird hunting,skeet.
get them as low as $300 to $750 for the wing masters

Excellent purchase! The Remington 870 is the finest pump gun made, hands down. More accessories are available for the 870 than any other pump. When you start shooting slugs, make sure you try both 2-3/4" and 3" to see what gives better accuracy, and use sabot slugs, 90% of the time they are better than foster slugs. I actually had my best groups with Remington copper solid 2-3/4", though every gun is different. I would have went with a 28-30" barrel for skeet, as they will hold a better pattern, but 26" isn't bad. I hope you enjoy your 870, you have the best gun money can buy. It will last a life time, my father's is 30+ years old, and is still flawless and tackdriving accurate with a Hastings rifled barrel.

Maybe post some pics, most would love to see it!

Kenny

When you start shooting slugs, make sure you try both 2-3/4" and 3" to see what gives better accuracy, and use sabot slugs, 90% of the time they are better than foster slugs. I actually had my best groups with Remington copper solid 2-3/4", though every gun is different.

In rifled barrels you use sabot slugs, 100% of the time. Foster (rifled) slugs are for smoothbores.

Kenny is correct you will need to do some experimentation to figure out which brands of slugs your gun likes best. Like he said every gun is different. However I have seen few guns that did not like Lightfield slugs.

Lightfield commanders in 3" at 125 yards
guntarget.jpg

Back
Top Bottom