Subliminal Gun Control Messages?

subliminal messaging will make you anti gun about as much as listening to Led Zeppelin backwards will make you an agent of Satan.

still, very much and sofa king strange that this is even happening.

Interesting... shades of Blue and Blindspot are both on NBC. Perhaps this is in the national feed?

If you were really bored, I bet with some effort the ad where those frames originated could be identified; almost certainly a recent political ad aimed at primary voters, guessing Hillary's campaign?

Maybe, but those ads usually have fine print on the final frames that say "<This person or group> is responsible for the contents of this advertisement".

Maybe, but those ads usually have fine print on the final frames that say "<This person or group> is responsible for the contents of this advertisement".

True but as many people (to include my 19 yo son) have pointed out, sometimes an ad starts to play but for some reason is halted and the station continues (usually) to another ad. This may have been the opening scene of a Gun Control ad from some political source.

True but as many people (to include my 19 yo son) have pointed out, sometimes an ad starts to play but for some reason is halted and the station continues (usually) to another ad. This may have been the opening scene of a Gun Control ad from some political source.
My previous job, I designed network security for an "also ran" network of US television stations, saw firsthand exactly how this happens; I explained the mechanism earlier in the thread.

If you have cable TV, keep an eye out while watching networks like NBC, and you'll see a lot of these errors where "local ad insertion" comes in a second late. You get a snippet of the national ad before Comcast's server wakes up and launches the Bob-o-pedic local content.

Last edited:
family-guy-smoke.jpg

That (plus the fact that it happens just before a Bob's ad) confirms that the odd frames are part of the local advertising block, and were either left in from the main feed, or were inserted by the local operator (or stuck to the front of the Bob's ad for some reason).

Lately I've seen a lot of instances with brief clips from other ads appearing in between spots -- not subliminal advertising, just lazy cable operators not cueing up their spots right. It's a common issue.

Ahh you dick you beat me to it

Not now jerry

I wouldn't put it past comcast to do this. I scan though their free movie section from time to time and a few weeks back there was a hillary clinton interview under the "H" section. I did not see any other candidates.

I wouldn't put it past comcast to do this. I scan though their free movie section from time to time and a few weeks back there was a hillary clinton interview under the "H" section. I did not see any other candidates.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." --Auric Goldfinger

Last edited:
What's the messaging value in the "Gun Control" phrase, subliminally or otherwise?

I'm unconvinced of the anti-gun messaging value in putting "Gun Control" up on the screen, either subliminally or in a campaign ad.
I wonder what political ad was starting that begins with "gun control" on the screen.
I'm guessing Hillary attacking Sanders on his voting record?

What seems odd about the whole thing is that the Dems are avoiding the phrase "Gun Control" these days, have been ever since "Handgun Control, Inc" rebranded as "Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence" back in 2001. And the republicans won't start bringing it up until the democrats have a candidate to attack on this topic.

So the OP was not a subliminal ad, it was the first few frames of the promo for "The Carmichael Show", an NBC sitcom that looks completely stupid to me.

Sitting in the waiting room waiting for my wife to get out of surgery and I saw it come on the tube:

https://youtu.be/FoRdULwk6UQ

Last edited:
So the OP was not a subliminal ad, it was the first few frames of the promo for "The Carmichael Show", an NBC sitcom that looks completely stupid to me.

Sitting in the waiting room waiting for my wife to get out of surgery and I saw it come on the tube:

that's what I did see the other night, between the voice and that new kids show. I didn't think it was all that subliminal as I could clearly read each one. I always thought subliminal messages where supposed to be faster.

The first few frames of that before the Bob's ad started, then. My guess was it was the first few of a political ad. Same result.

What's really obvious is if gun prohibitionists made such message, it would not have said "gun control" at all. If you're a messaging pro like Shannon Watts, your goals are to be as impactful as possible while anthropomorphizing guns by presenting them as inherently evil. So your message would be something more like "guns kill" or "guns are murder." Note how many news reports and bogus "studies" use phrases like "killed by guns" now.

"The Carmichael Show"

Great find, spotting that "The Carmichael Show" promo.[bow]

It being a NBC show promo fits; the promo for "The Carmichael Show" would be dropped in as an in-house ad on the NBC national feed, where the local affiliate could potentially replace it with local paid advertising, like Bob's stores.

Last edited:

Gd it, just saw that add and this thread was my first thought... you beet me to it.

that's what I did see the other night, between the voice and that new kids show. I didn't think it was all that subliminal as I could clearly read each one. I always thought subliminal messages where supposed to be faster.

That what they want you to think.

What's that line from The Usual Suspects? The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing people he didn't exist?

Back
Top Bottom