Subliminal Gun Control Messages?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Trying to figure out WTF.

DVRed "Blindspot" last night, pretty decent show with some convoluted plot threads. During the first block of ads there was a quick flash of a black background and the word "CONTROL" there it went to a Bob's ad. Made me curious so I re-wound it to just before the flash and proceeded at half speed. Came to the spot, it was a black background with the words "GUN CONTROL" and nothing else. It could not have been much more than a half-second long, just enough to get your attention, if you were paying attention.

Anyone seen anything else like this?

Added: Pic

IMG_0658_zps1dcinndc.jpg

Last edited:
First commercial break, after the lead-in, is a drug ad (Humera)
Watching it now... I'll try to find the Bobs ad and work backward.

FiOS, FWIW.

Second break, a depression drug.

Duh! I am so slow sometimes that I amaze myself. Took me half a dozen tries but I was able to finally to catch it. It starts with a totally black screen, then the word "CONTROL" zooming in from very large to the size you see, then flashing to "GUN CONTROL", all in less than a second.

IMG_0658.jpg

Right after the credits. Humira, Royal Carribean, Chili's, KIA, Special K, Shades of Blue, Gun Control, Bob's, back to the show.

On FiOS, the sequence is the same up to Shades of Blue, then there's an Xfinity X1 ad rather than Bobs. No "gun control" in the blackout before Xfinity or after.

While it's shady, it appears there are no rules against it.

The FCC has no formal rules on "subliminal" advertising.
The FCC has no formal rules on the use of "subliminal perception" techniques. In fact, the Commission appears to have addressed the issue only twice. In 1974, the agency issued a policy statement that the use of "subliminal perception" is "contrary to the public interest." But policy statements are not enforceable rules. Nor would it be appropriate for the Commission to fine a person for failure to comply with a policy statement.

Since 1974, there has been only one instance in which the Commission has received and acted on a "subliminal" message complaint. In that matter, KMEZ(FM) a radio station in Dallas, Texas, was merely "admonished for its repeated transmission of subliminal messages on November 19, 1987" during an anti-smoking program on behalf of the American Cancer Society.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Speeches/Furchtgott_Roth/2000/sphfr011.html

Well, I got someone's attention. Someone with about five posts neg-repped me for posting this. Someone who didn't have the testicular fortitude to post on the thread and challenge this publicly.

The words "Gun Control" on a black screen would make a lame attempt at subliminal ads

family-guy-smoke.jpg

On FiOS, the sequence is the same up to Shades of Blue, then there's an Xfinity X1 ad rather than Bobs. No "gun control" in the blackout before Xfinity or after.
That (plus the fact that it happens just before a Bob's ad) confirms that the odd frames are part of the local advertising block, and were either left in from the main feed, or were inserted by the local operator (or stuck to the front of the Bob's ad for some reason).

Lately I've seen a lot of instances with brief clips from other ads appearing in between spots -- not subliminal advertising, just lazy cable operators not cueing up their spots right. It's a common issue.

Last edited:
Even if I thought this was all crazy BS it doesn't deserve a neg
+1

Another instance of this happening is talked about on this 1911 forum.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/subliminal-message.26829/

I suggest editing your original post to include the image of the message so that it's easy for people who are linked to this thread from other sites to understand your experience without having to scour the thread.

Also, please upload it to postimage.org or something and hotlink it from the uploaded image instead of using the forum attachment function because only logged in members of the forum can view it and you want to maximize exposure. If you're not sure how to do this just send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom