Storing gun in safe after conceal carrying

This is related to another thread but it's a different topic so I hope it's ok to open.

How many people that CCW store your firearm in your safe before going to bed? If so- do you unload it first then reload it when CCW again? I live in a house so I do have "safe" areas- but I imagine this is not something that everyone has (ie living in apartments).

It's my belief (maybe I'm off base) that the risk of a ND is reduced by leaving it loaded to and from the safe.... of course some "risk" is introduced as a loaded firearm is out of your direct control in a safe....

I already added this in the other thread, but my gun is loaded and kept next to me at night. Since it's my personal protection device, it's always in use, ergo, it's there if I need it.

Here's an interesting idea to provide some security for your CCW. It's the Mogul Life Jacket, a polycarbonate padded shell that locks around your firearm (and is BTW on the MSP list of approved locking devices). The benefits that I see are that it presents a relatively flat profile and actually offers more protection to your firearm than a trigger lock. It is also much quicker to access than a safe.

The only drawback is that it does not accomodate the larger firearms or one with very large grips. But it should fit most of the more common handguns used for CCW.

http://www.mogulsecurity.com

I do not carry concealed on a daily basis, the primary reason is that the contract that I work under prohibits me from carrying at work (it does not prohibit carry per se, but is worded such that one can only carry if required as part of one's official duties and job requirements). Consequently, I keep any handgun that I am carrying concealed in the safe, unloaded until I am ready to carry it.

I don't particularly like the idea of not having quick access to a loaded handgun, but on the other hand I don't feel like getting up in the morning and resecuring a firearm in my gun safe before I go to work. I know this leaves me open to criticism and I'll take the hit on that one. I realize that there are options with regard to securing a handgun for easy access and still keep it secure, but I have not exercised that option.

I do carry pepper spray, and I have it within reach on the nightstand as well as a combat folder and a flashlight. If I carried all of the time, I'd have a handgun near me as well.

When I have resided in other states with more realistic laws, I usually kept a 12 ga pump loaded with the chamber empty by the bed 24/7. I still believe the shotgun to be the best overall close range personal defense weapon for home defense, a view not universally shared, I know.

Mark

I have a lockbox that I use to store my CCW gun. I do not unload it before storing. The remaining guns are in my safes. Those are unloaded (though there are some loaded magazines in the safes).

My GunVault is 2 steps from my bed with the loaded, tactical light-equipped H&K handgun inside. Next to that is the 12-gauge pump with tactical light - unloaded and locked, but with a sling full of 00 buck shells attached.

I would put my response time from "awake and aware" to "fully armed" at about 30 seconds.

If you do load and unload a semi-auto, watch for changes in bullet set-back. In high-pressure calibers (e.g., .40, .357 Sig), if the bullet gets pushed into the case due to many chamberings in the gun, you can get an over-pressure situation.

M1911 said:
If you do load and unload a semi-auto, watch for changes in bullet set-back. In high-pressure calibers (e.g., .40, .357 Sig), if the bullet gets pushed into the case due to many chamberings in the gun, you can get an over-pressure situation.

Agreed, I keep the same round in the chamber and just swap out the mags periodically.

I keep my loaded gun in a quick access pistol safe a few steps from my bed. And I have converted my master closet to a safe room by using a solid door and putting additional locks on. When I am not home, my family is trained to go to the safe room and call the police. They never touch my firearms.

The ammo never "stays" in my gun, it gets "swapped out" by my going to the range once a week and putting a magazine (of my defense ammo) through it.

I like the Life Jacket storage device. Too bad the lock wasn't a combination. Trying to find the key and unlock in the middle of the night could be a challenge! I like how you can mount it.

wchandler said:
I like the Life Jacket storage device. Too bad the lock wasn't a combination. Trying to find the key and unlock in the middle of the night could be a challenge! I like how you can mount it.

Try keeping the key on your keyring.

But I don't bring my keys to bed!! Plus I have kids and that would make it too easy to get to.

I would like this to mount in my Jeep. Then the keyring would come into play. I think I am ordering one for me and my dad!

Back
Top Bottom