• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing "Food" around your mid section.

If you are 20 pounds over weight, is this enough stored food to last 3 weeks or more?

I have done many back country trips lasting 30 + days. I always gain a few extra before I head out. It is not common for me to drop a pound every two to three days. If I was not exerting myself, i guess i would lose the weight much slower.

I am not suggesting a starvation diet, but if you have extra pounds on your body, you can get by with water and minimal food.

In order for your body to process fat (done by the liver) into energy you need to be adequately hydrated with the required salts, sugars, and water. Also your liver cannot process that fat into energy unless it is healthy. It will go through a period of time in which it purges itself of toxins it has filtered. When that is overwith fat burning kicks into high gear and its not uncommon to take off a pound a day.

I did a starvation diet, not by choice. I had food poisoning for 4 months. Long story but the poisoning lasted for 48 hours, and whatever that little creature was tortured me for 4 months more. Needless to say i could not eat properly. The only thing that was gentle was white rice and grilled cheese sandwiches. 4 months I lived on that and gatorade. Lost a pound a day by sitting on the couch. lost 100lbs total. Went from 265 to 165.
Yes you can survive on your fat reserves. You just need to fight the hunger pains.

Oh and lack of carbs in your system causes chemical imbalances in the brain resulting in mild depression during this time.

Just my 5 cents.

For a few years, then it creeped bback in. But only to 215.

Went from a 36" waist to 30" and from all XL clothes to Small during that.

In order for your body to process fat (done by the liver) into energy you need to be adequately hydrated with the required salts, sugars, and water. Also your liver cannot process that fat into energy unless it is healthy.

Welp, looks like i'm never loosing weight. Pretty sure my liver is shot already.

such a guy thing to attempt. I guarantee you will never hear of a woman voluntarily storing food aroung their midsection..[rofl]

Its not starvation. Body fat supplements the caloric intake. The body is very versatile. You could eat only white sugar and lose weight if you are exercising or burning more then you consume.

1 lb of fat contains 3500 calories.

If your metabolic output exceeds your caloric intake, your body makes up the difference with stored fat and stored protein.

With minimal activity and proper hydration, you can survive almost 2 days per pound of excess fat - Figure your weight minus 150lbs as a guideline. That's with virtually no food intake.

With even moderate carbohydrates and protein comprising a mere 1000 calories a day and light activity (conserving energy) you can typically pull about 4 days per pound. That's how the 9 bars @ 400 calories per bar work for 9 days. Your body makes up for the other roughly half your caloric needs by burning 1lbs of body fat over 3 days.

With heavy activity (including your body fighting an infection) it is not uncommon to burn a pound or more a day.

Looks like I'm good for about a month or so on a cheese and pepperoni Ritz a day!

All kidding aside, I figure I'm packing about 40 pounds extra at 40 years old. I can still run 3 miles in well south of 30 minutes (24 to be more accurate) I do lounge more in the winter as I think everyone does, so the first few summer runs with the kids are slower. Neither at 14 and 16 can hang the whole 3 miles for most of the summer, and never get to the point where they can keep up. Point is this-while my shape may not look all that great, I think my condition is pretty good. This tells me that, when taxed, my body will hold up. If I start shedding pounds, it will hold up even better until nutritional distress begins to take its toll.

Its not starvation. Body fat supplements the caloric intake. The body is very versatile. You could eat only white sugar and lose weight if you are exercising or burning more then you consume.

of course you'd probably go into diabetic coma before any significant weight loss.

in all seriousness it is not healthy. your electrolytes could get screwed up, and cause all sorts of issues including cardiac problems.. not a chance i am willing to take..

Jenn,

It's a moderately effective method if it is merely intended to supplement available food. That is, by storing a limited amount of fat on your body - not obesse, but not paper-thin ripped and cut either, one can reasonably survive on a much more limited food supply. Rationing 1000-1500 calories per day rather than 2000-3000, there-by allowing an available food source to last twice as long.

The counter balance to that is the added weight causes the body to burn more energy to accomplish any task, so like anything else, it's best in moderation.

This spring I gained an extra 20 lbs intentionally. I was going on an 1000+ mile backpacking trip. It is nearly impossible to eat as many calories as you burn in a day. I lost about 40 lbs over the trip. I had no issues supplementing my meals with bodyfat. My appetite actually decreased for the first week or so. I was not tired, depressed, sleepy from my diet and fat burning.

re:diabetic coma....if you are not eating a cup at a time you would be fine. A little sugar in water would keep hunger pain away and keep your brain happy. My friend lives off of Little Debbie and Hostess Snacks when we hike. Pop tarts for breakfast, chocolate for snacks, pasta for dinner. It is all sugar anyway. If you are burning calories, it doesnt matter where you get them.

Back
Top Bottom