• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing bullets

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I know what the answer should be but not sure if there is some Massachusetts law I don't know about regarding this. Do bullets (reloading components, not loaded ammo) have to be locked up? Locked up storage space is at a premium for me so I'd like to just tuck a few boxes away in a corner somewhere. Ok under the laws of the Overlords???

Yes, they need to be locked up. However it doesn't need to be Fort Knox to meet the law. I keep my components in a cheap plastic cabinet. The lock goes through 2 plastic loops on the doors. You could probably break the lock off with your bare hands. But, it's locked.

I was afraid of that but I looked through the regulations on GOALs website and saw no mention of bullets. They talk about ammo, primers and powder but no mention of bullets

I think I'm about to get spanked by someone more knowledgeable here. I might be confusing the need for a license to poses "components" like bullets and brass with the locked storage requirements. After re-reading things it looks like you (GOAL) are right about only needing to lock the stuff that can burn or go boom.

It's confusing because ammo is covered by MGLs and CMRs. The CMRs have more to do with fire safety and the MGLs define criminal behavior.

Last edited:
Yes, the laws are clear as mud. Probably should have posted this in the MA gun laws forum, where we can hide from the free people and discuss the mind numbing idiocy of MA gun laws. Because the NH guys will be along shortly. My impression of NH guys houses is that they've got guns, ammo, brass, powder and primer in every room, on coffee tables, kitchen counters, dining room table, night stands. They probably even keep bowls of powder out in case they get visitors. I don't even think they know what locks are.

Just get one of these (when on sale for $20) and put a TSA combination lock on it, that's enough to be compliant.

k2-_4c20b480-2151-47c2-bd4d-91042677ba46.v1.jpg

My favorite lock is the Lewis & Clark, because the numbers are easy to read in the dark.

517sivagD7L._SX342_.jpg

Or just leave them on your shelf wherever the **** you want, like everyone else does.

I've never seen anyone "lock up bullets". Not even in MA.

-Mike

GOAL's website still has the old CMR (last people here reported). New CMR is posted in the proper forum here, it is 527 CMR 1.0, effective 1/1/15.

CMR does not address bullets. BUT MGL does state that components (bullets are components) must be secured from any unauthorized (no LTC/FID) person. How you deal with this is up to the reader.

Components in Mass are considered ammunition and must be secured.
Bullets
primers
powder
cases
.... lock them up to comply with the rulers.

When I took my class the instructor(retired LEO) said to just get a cheap plastic ammo can with a cheap padlock for ammo storage. He said if they're looking at that they've already got you for something else so no reason to let them hit you with additional charges to stack up against you.

Components in Mass are considered ammunition and must be secured.
Bullets
primers
powder
cases
.... lock them up to comply with the rulers.

I thought empty cases were no longer considered ammo. Didnt that just change or am I wrong?

Honestly,in my professional opinion, the primary reason for securing any volatile components is to deny access to anyone (adolescent boys) who may want to "experiment" We were all kids once and have plenty of memories doing things we wouldn't want our kids to do. I sure do. My buddies and I chuckle about still having our fingers and toes.

Another consideration would be the possibility of an "extraordinary hazards " clause on your property insurance. If hypothetically, you stockpiled powder in excess of CMR permit limits, and experienced a fire, your insurer may invoke such a clause and deny payment.

The Fire Dept. investigating your fire would certainly include reporting your violation of Powder permit limits.

When I would issue these permits, I always gave applicants copies of 527 CMR. 13.00: BOARD OF FIRE PREVENTION REGULATIONS and a recommendation to review their property insurance policy.

Last edited:
Just get one of these (when on sale for $20) and put a TSA combination lock on it, that's enough to be compliant.

k2-_4c20b480-2151-47c2-bd4d-91042677ba46.v1.jpg

My favorite lock is the Lewis & Clark, because the numbers are easy to read in the dark.

517sivagD7L._SX342_.jpg

This Walmart special locking footlocker. Put your GI cans etc inside and good to go.

Back
Top Bottom