• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Store clerk pulls gun on robber - Rutland, VT

DW357

NES Member
Just saw this is on the local news last night up here in Rutland, VT where I've been working since November. I've been to this store numerous times to buy stuff and get gas. What a shame, he might lose his job over this. Here's the link to the video:

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new-york/burlington/store-clerk-who-pulls-gun-on-robber/26537230

Article with more details:

http://www.guns.com/2014/06/18/convenience-store-clerk-suspended-after-pulling-gun-on-armed-robber/

New NRA video:[video=youtube_share;rwgP-uII39M]http://youtu.be/rwgP-uII39M[/video]

Last edited:
Sounds like time for you and other locals to put some pressure on the company. The whole concept of policy mattering more than the employees safety is no small part of why this country is so ****ed up.

Usually their policy is FOR the employees safety. While I agree that this guy shouldn't lose his job, the policy is to just give them what they want and let them go because that's generally considered (rightly or wrongly) to be the safest scenario. That news video seems to indicate that it's the "no guns" policy more than a "just give them what they want" policy. If that's the case, then yeah, the local community should try to rally for this guy.

Last edited:
Yeah it's such bullshit. I'm sure if he gets fired someone will hire him at another store. As the guy said in the video there are a lot of robberies and burglaries going on in Rutland so people need to protect themselves whether it be in a store or at home.

i've heard some interesting stories about rutland, vt. sucks this guy might lose his job.

Oh I'm sure. I've been working up here since November so I've seen quite a bit of stuff myself lol. It's too bad because it really is a nice city but they have such a huge drug problem it's insane. Vermont is rated number two in the country for opiate abuse.

I love seeing the locals walking their dogs open carrying and nobody even cares. I've seen tons of guys in the local Walmart open carrying nobody acknowledges that they're carrying guns. I wish it could be like that everywhere.

Last edited:
Usually their policy is FOR the employees safety. While I agree that this guy shouldn't lose his job, the policy is to just give them what they want and let them go because that's generally considered (rightly or wrongly) to be the safest scenario. That news video seems to indicate that it's the "no guns" policy more than a "just give them what they want" policy. If that's the case, then yeah, the local community should try to rally for this guy.

So the clerk ends up with a knife in his heart. How is that FOR the employee?

Vermont is full of Hippies,and Yuppies,I stay away cuz I hate Berkinstocks [hmmm],You lose your Job Because you protected yourself,not woth working there anyway,if he does lose his Job,i''ll never shop there

Unlikely. Most robbers are looking for quick cash and not a victim.

So you would rather roll the dice? Not me, I want to go home at the end of the shift and see my family.
Stay with the herd, you won't get hurt.[slap]
sheep-herding.JPG

So you would rather roll the dice? Not me, I want to go home at the end of the shift and see my family.
Stay with the herd, you won't get hurt.[slap]

No way in hell am I escalating a confrontation over petty cash in someone else's cash register.

No way in hell am I escalating a confrontation over petty cash in someone else's cash register.
Have you ever set foot outside? You don't need to be the one who escalated the situation, a druggie would be more than happy to do it for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S5, which is so much better than the iPhone

Maybe your family can have that engraved on your headstone.
I don't have the ability to read minds like you do, so if someone pulls a knife on me, I'll assume they are doing it with the intent on harming me. I will act accordingly.

Oh I'm sure. I've been working up here since November so I've seen quite a bit of stuff myself lol. It's too bad because it really is a nice city but they have such a huge drug problem it's insane. Vermont is rated number two in the country for opiate abuse.

I love seeing the locals walking their dogs open carrying and nobody even cares. I've seen tons of guys in the local Walmart open carrying nobody acknowledges that they're carrying guns. I wish it could be like that everywhere.

Really? That's odd.

Found another article with a little bit more info:

http://www.guns.com/2014/06/18/convenience-store-clerk-suspended-after-pulling-gun-on-armed-robber/

It was about 9:30 p.m. and 58-year-old Don Pitaniello was closing down Mac’s Convenience Store for the night when a man, with quite obvious ill intentions, walked through the door.

“I looked up when I heard the doorbell chimes and saw the hoodie, the bandana, and a bag in his hand,” Pitaniello said Monday. “He walked up to the counter, laid the knife on it and said, ‘Empty the register.’”

But Pitaniello was way ahead of the game and already had his .380-caliber pistol in his hand and behind his back before the suspect ever even got to the counter.

“I knew his intentions as soon as he came in,” Pitaniello said. “When he told me to empty the register, I cocked my head and said, ‘Really?’”

At that point, the suspect waved a knife in the clerk’s face in an apparent attempt to show his lack of fear – until the clerk pointed his handgun at the suspect’s face.

“I told him he better get the (expletive) out of there,” Pitaniello recalled.

The suspect complied and was out the door – empty handed – within a matter of seconds and Pitaniello ran after him in order to tell police which way the suspect fled.

Pitaniello told reporters that the store had already been robbed eight or nine times, twice in the past week alone. But although Pitaniello prevented the latest robbery – all with no injuries – he was suspended for violating the company’s no guns policy as well as going against the company’s policy to not chase robbers out of the store.

Nonetheless, Pitaniello, a Vietnam vet who says he has always carried a gun, doesn’t at all regret his actions.

“I’m a firm believer in having a gun and not needing it rather than the other way around. I can always find a new job,” he said.

Unlikely. Most robbers are looking for quick cash and not a victim.

Huh? WTF?
"Most"????????
So we (you, maybe, but not me) take our chance - with our ONE LIFE - that this is one of the scumballs that falls into the "MOST" column?
If even ONE TIME a scumball just decides to start stabbing you, you're gonna just die because "the odds were in your favor"?????
Bullsh*t!
Anyone - anyone!!! - walks in on, or up to me, with ill intent will be IMMEDIATELY looking at the muzzle of my G26, locked, loaded with one in the chamber and ready to go, and another 10 to back it up (and if I was working at at store or anywhere else that might be a higher-risk target or area, an extra 10 round mag in my pocket as well, in case the rest of the junkies want to join their friend's "party".

"Most" robbers? Bullsh*t.
ANY robber, I draw on. Immediately. Period.
And screw the job. I personally wouldn't even work at a "No Gun" policy company to begin with. Want a sheep? Go buy a farm.
I will defend my ONE LIFE, and will NOT take any "play-the-percentages" chances with my ONE LIFE!!

Last edited:
Huh? WTF?
"Most"????????
So we (you, maybe, but not me) take our chance - with our ONE LIFE - that this is one of the scumballs that falls into the "MOST" column?
If even ONE TIME a scumball just decides to start stabbing you, you're gonna just die because "the odds were in your favor"?????
Bullsh*t!
Anyone - anyone!!! - walks in on, or up to me, with ill intent will be IMMEDIATELY looking at the muzzle of my G26, locked, loaded with one in the chamber and ready to go, and another 10 to back it up (and if I was working at at store or anywhere else that might be a higher-risk target or area, an extra 10 round mag in my pocket as well, in case the rest of the junkies want to join their friend's "party".

"Most" robbers? Bullsh*t.
ANY robber, I draw on. Immediately. Period.
And screw the job. I personally wouldn't even work at a "No Gun" policy company to begin with. Want a sheep? Go buy a farm.
This MAN will defend his ONE LIFE, and will NOT take any "play-the-percentages" chances with my ONE LIFE!!

[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom