• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stocks: Wood or Synthetic - complete idiot's guide...

Cartoons

NES Member
I admit my ignorance: what's the difference between a wood rifle stock, and a synthetic one? Other than aesthetics, are there advantages of one over the other? I guess I'm partial to the plastic-fantastics, but admit to being an ignoramus on the matter.

Any information would be welcome...

TP

There are different types of wood. Solid wood like Walnut or laminated. Solid wood tends to move a bit with humidity. Laminated stocks don't expand/contract/twist as much.

Synthetic stocks have 2 main varieties. Cheap plastic or fiberglass/carbon. The cheap plastic ones are great if you just want the action and barrel and plan to upgrade the stock. The fiberglass/carbon stocks are much more expensive.

Synthetic stocks make Baby Jesus cry.

Wooden stocks can get swollen or out of spec or warped if you take a gun out in the rain or snow, however I've never seen this myself and our guys used wood stocked M1s in the Pacific and M14s in Vietnam. Never heard a complaint.

There's no price or weight difference between a basic wood stock and a synthetic stock - Savage and Winchester use wood for their lightweight bolt action guns. Obviously a full stocked military rifle with a wood stock will weigh more than a M16 or M4, there's just more bulk involved.

Laminate wood stocks handle extreme weather very well, like on M44 Mosins.

Beyond that, it comes down to the individual gun and the owner's preferences and needs.

I would presume you are talking about a bolt type rifle or a shotgun ?

Mostly, but I've been looking at the M1a's and was curious. I have some friends down in Georgia that have mentioned going hunting, and an old friend in Alaska (which is totally out of the budget, but on my bucket list).

TP

Mostly, but I've been looking at the M1a's and was curious. I have some friends down in Georgia that have mentioned going hunting, and an old friend in Alaska (which is totally out of the budget, but on my bucket list).

TP

Pick a model - when I hear Georgia or Alaska, I think short range hunting. So a SOCOM 16 or a Scout 18" rifle. I will say, my SOCOM I had handled like a barn door. I liked the handling of my AKs a lot more.

Wood,is good.

DSC00751.jpg

The GI fiberglass stocks were developed for the M14 during Vietnam due to issues with wood stocks warping in the wet conditions. The poly stocks on the current Springfield Inc. M1As are garbage and act like a wet noodle. The M14 is designed to have tension at the barrel band for accuracy and these stocks do no provide that tension.

The SOCOMs have a unique gas system... different from the standard 22" or 18" types which limits the availability of replacement parts.

I, personally, would stay away from the newer Springfield Inc M1A and look at offerings from James River Armory, LRB, Gun Works of Lower Alabama or Fulton if you're looking for an M14.

Every time a rifle stock or pistol grip is made out of wood... a tree hugger dies.

Please think of the tree huggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many synthetic stocks come with pillars that make additional bedding unnecessary, although many shooters will opt to throw in a glass bedding anyway. Wood will require some care, like oiling, whereas synthetic are maintenance free. Where wood shines, is in really cold weather. Much better feel, not as cold. And as far as looks go, it's a "no contest". Wood is much nicer looking.

There are pros and cons of each type.
Sometimes it's easier to decide depending on what firearm and what use.

Ex they make some decent laminated M1 garand stocks BUT they are not legal in some Garand shooting matches.
Will you be in wet outdoor environment?
Are you trying to get as much accuracy.

I like wood.

Back
Top Bottom