Stationed (and can purchase) firearms in CO, can I bring a pistol back to MA?

I am active duty military, stationed in CO and I am looking into buying my first pistol here in CO. Provided I have a valid MA LTC, can I bring the weapon to MA (provided of course I don't bring >10 round magazines) even it is not on the approved roster? Not looking to keep it in MA permanently, just looking to shoot/CCW (with valid LTC-A of course) when I come home on leave.

-Thanks in advance.

Yes. Not only can you bring it with you, you can keep it if you move back to the Commiewealth.

The list/roster/EOPS/whatever applies only to dealer sales. Not to private individuals that may have purchased their guns legally elsewhere or privately in MA.

Yup, Jose is right.

ETA: You are required to submit a FA-10 form within 7 days of the firearm entering the state.

Wait, so I can buy a Kimber in Maine or Vermont legally, and bring it back to MA so long as I submit my FA-10 in a timely fashion?

Assuming that you're on active duty in the military and stationed in one of those states, yes. Otherwise, not without committing a federal felony.

Ken

great info. I appreciate it.

Unrealted topic, but if I am currently an FID holder, can I apply for my LTC-A by mail/phone, or do I for sure have to go to the police station?

great info. I appreciate it.

Unrealted topic, but if I am currently an FID holder, can I apply for my LTC-A by mail/phone, or do I for sure have to go to the police station?

i am not a lawyer. but the answer is NO

the non-RES process changed last year, all applicants must appear in person. it's $100 bucks a year and you HAVE to appear.

LTC is $100 / 6 years, if your Active Duty, you MAY be able to schedule your Firearms safety class (has to be Mass State Police Approved) and get in for your finger prints / filling out the application at the PD if your saavy, while your home on leave. [wink]

otherwise, i personally wouldn't worry about it. does CO require permits? if not, get whatever you want (shy of AWB stuff) or post-ban mags that hold more than ten rounds [wink] and file for your LTC (within 60 days) when / if you move back to this hell hole...

wolf223 said:
otherwise, i personally wouldn't worry about it. does CO require permits? if not, get whatever you want (shy of AWB stuff) or post-ban mags that hold more than ten rounds and file for your LTC (within 60 days) when / if you move back to this hell hole

Careful with that advice. That only applies if the OP has been absent from the Commonwealth for a minimum of 180 consecutive days...

M.G.L. c.140 s.129C

(j) Any new resident moving into the commonwealth, any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth;

Since he's on active duty, he can still be considered to be a Massachusetts resident. How Massachusetts decides to deal with this situation is most likely anybody's guess. Where one currently lives is a simple fact; where one resides is a legal fiction.

Ken

yup. as long as he's paying state taxes to MA, he's a resident - end of discussion.

he could leave for 5 days or for 179 days, he's still a resident... regardless of duty status. this includes other things like in-state tuition, excise tax and property tax too (generally speaking).. he's covered...

[wink]

edit: i recall certain expemptions on excise taxes and property taxes though... best the OP can do is check in with his JAG, and check in with the PD of his Home of Record (assuming he still has relatives there)...

i know guys who are "stationed" in the state who have resident LTC's too... so it kinda works both ways...

i am a mass resident, stationed in maine since 2007. Last September while down in Mass I dropped off my LTC app, I wasn't back again until around Christmas so that is when I did prints and what not. I got the LTC in January, so if he is a Mass resident he SHOULD be good to go with a Res LTC even though he doesn't reside there.

I applied for a resident Maine permit and the town pd was ok with giving me a resident, but when the state got ahold of it they kicked it back and said apply as a non-resident. Should have had it in about 2 or 3 weeks and instead it took about 6 months.
I am kind of surprised that Mass will give military stationed in Mass, but legally a resident of someother state a resident LTC.

I am kind of surprised that Mass will give military stationed in Mass, but legally a resident of someother state a resident LTC.

Many PDs in MA will NOT issue to NRs stationed in MA. Some actually do support our troops and do the right thing [grin] . . . and some don't. [sad]

Thanks for your service!

It's in compliance with the law if they live on base.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:

That's good to know, but we all know how wonderful many of the towns and cities and state do at obeying the laws. Just cause they have to doesn't mean they do.

Well, they have to with an FID, they "may issue" with an LTC. But if a town refuses to even process an application to give you a denial, it makes an appeal in court a lot more difficult.

But yes, that's Mass. for you.

Sorry but that is not true.

really? i lived away from MA for almost 8 years (on Active Duty - Federal, title 10 USC) and have direct experience in this matter. i'm not shooting from the hip here... [rolleyes] what expereiences do you have?

during those 8 years, i paid state taxes to MA, i came back and carried on as if i never left... -shy of producing bills w / my current address for the RMV.

edit: just like some of our Reserve and National Guard troops who got deployed to provide security to Military Bases in other states, GITMO, Afghanistan, Iraq, and extended mobilizations in other states under Noble Eagle, Iraqi and Enduring Freedom... they are still residents of Massachusetts.... i.e. I have a buddy who was down at Ft. Bliss, TX for two years a Warrior in Transition Unit (WTU).... he had all the benefits of being in Texas as a "resident" and he never lost his Massachusetts "resident" status either (i.e. vote, in-state tuition ect)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I took that to mean anybody. Not just servicemen. However I don't think that paying taxes to a particular state is the definitive test.
really? i lived away from MA for almost 8 years (on Active Duty - Federal, title 10 USC) and have direct experience in this matter. i'm not shooting from the hip here... [rolleyes] what expereiences do you have?

during those 8 years, i paid state taxes to MA, i came back and carried on as if i never left... -shy of producing bills w / my current address for the RMV.

edit: just like some of our Reserve and National Guard troops who got deployed to provide security to Military Bases in other states, GITMO, Afghanistan, Iraq, and extended mobilizations in other states under Noble Eagle, Iraqi and Enduring Freedom... they are still residents of Massachusetts.... i.e. I have a buddy who was down at Ft. Bliss, TX for two years a Warrior in Transition Unit (WTU).... he had all the benefits of being in Texas as a "resident" and he never lost his Massachusetts "resident" status either (i.e. vote, in-state tuition ect)

Unfortunately, there really is no definitive test. I've known people who live in one state, vote in another, and pay taxes in a third, all perfectly legally. I'm not really sure where their legal residences were. For all I know it could have been another state all together (though I doubt it).

Ken

Yes. Not only can you bring it with you, you can keep it if you move back to the Commiewealth.

The list/roster/EOPS/whatever applies only to dealer sales. Not to private individuals that may have purchased their guns legally elsewhere or privately in MA.

OK now say a few years down the road the person decides they want to sell the gun while in mass. Can they sell it through a private sale to another individual who lives in Mass with the proper LTC even though the gun is not on the approved list? Or Are they stuck with it unless they want to sell it to someone who lives in a state where the gun is legal.

OK now say a few years down the road the person decides they want to sell the gun while in mass. Can they sell it through a private sale to another individual who lives in Mass with the proper LTC even though the gun is not on the approved list?

Yes. As has been mentioned at least 300,000 times on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom