• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

state or municipal ranges?

Anyone know if there are any state or municipal owned and or operated ranges in Massachusetts? Anywhere else in New England?

Thank you.

I assume you mean ones that are open to the public (since there are plenty of state and municipal police ranges that are not open to the public...).

And no, I don't know of any in MA.

The town of Barnstable owns and operates a range. Its located on town conservation land on the service road of Rt 6 between exit 4 and 5. A fee is required and key is obtained at the Barnstable Dept of Natural Resources. Annual renewal is Memorial Day weekend for a full year so a purchase now will leave you short and I don't think they prorate the fee. I hear its also going up....like everything else.

It's an outdoor range, 100yd rifle, 25yd pistol, both with covered firing points, DNR officers and local police routinely come by.

Local and regional police depts and sheriffs use it frequently during the nicer weather for qualifications and the dates of closure are usually posted at the gate.
Machineguns cannot be used there on Sundays but ok other days. .50bmg is ok too any day....unless they've recently changed the rules.

Summer traffic to and from SUCKS BIG TIME unless you live on the Cape so weekends in the summer are out of the question unless you have all day to get where you are going and enjoy sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours. Weekdays aren't so bad but check to make sure its not closed for police use before you venture out.
I let my membership lapse....way too many hassles and it was getting worse. Noise complaints and fullauto fire complaints from pansy neighbors were common and frankly it wasn't worth the time or effort spent and I was so soured by the BS and traffic, I didn't even enjoy shooting there after a while.

Where you located and why you looking for public ranges? I don't know of any shooting spots that don't have some type of fee.

Back
Top Bottom