Squirrel season should be pretty good

I drove home from VT this weekend and in about a 10 minute stretch of highway I counted over 60 squirrels season the road. Some other unidentifiable smears of meat and guts which I’m guessing was more of the same. I’ve never see. Anything like it.
Should be a great season.

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to helping those poor farmers out this fall with the help of my new TCr22. Stock photo - mounting a scope on mine shortly!

49011-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to helping those poor farmers out this fall with the help of my new TCr22. Stock photo - mounting a scope on mine shortly!

49011-DEFAULT-l.jpg
Meh....I'm a shotgun guy. I hunt squirrel a couple times a week between september to November even in zones 1-9 where rifles are allowed. Hitting a running squirrel is fun......can't do that with the rifle. Where are you hunting squirrel? If it's mass remember zones 10-14 are shotgun only on grey squirrel. Also ....if your hunting wma property where pheasant is stocked (during the open season on pheasant) even in zones 1-9 you have to use a shotgun. Check the regs on grey squirrel and know what type of property your on....there are actually a few rules .

Last edited:
There was even squirrel road kill last winter which you rarely see. Of course we are being Darwinian killing off all the stupid ones with our cars. The survivors will breed into a race of wily super squirrels that will be harder to hunt. [wink]

Any recommendations on a .410 for squirrel? I have a 10/22 set up for when I am west of 495, but would like a decent .410 for the east of 495 (MA)

Meh....I'm a shotgun guy. I hunt squirrel a couple times a week between september to November even in zones 1-9 where rifles are allowed. Hitting a running squirrel is fun......can't do that with the rifle. Where are you hunting squirrel? If it's mass remember zones 10-14 are shotgun only on grey squirrel. Also ....if your hunting wma property where pheasant is stocked (during the open season on pheasant) even in zones 1-9 you have to use a shotgun. Check the regs on grey squirrel and know what type of property your on....there are actually a few rules .

I hunt up in NH because of all the reg's and can't do this, can't do that MA BS.

Any recommendations on a .410 for squirrel? I have a 10/22 set up for when I am west of 495, but would like a decent .410 for the east of 495 (MA)
Yeah.....the 410 Henry lever action shotgun. That's what I used last year and it's a hoot. Bit pricy at $730 but what a nice gun. Henry makes the single shot in 410 now too.....about $350 which while pricey for a single shot is a great gun.....fit and finish is exeptional.

But....if you own a 20 or 12 those are efine for squirrel. Just aim off a bit when they are close up and hit em with the fringe of the patttern

Last edited:
Yeah.....the 410 Henry lever action shotgun. That's what I used last year and it's a hoot. Bit pricy at $730 but what a nice gun. Henry makes the single shot in 410 now too.....about $350 which while pricey for a single shot is a great gun.....fit and finish is exeptional.

But....if you own a 20 or 12 those are efine for squirrel. Just aim off a bit when they are close up and hit em with the fringe of the patttern

I have a few 12 gauges, I'll have to consider this - but certainly wouldn't mind that Henry either...

You forgot that most perfect of shotgun gauges, the mighty and mystical 16.

Anyone have suggestions on a spot to hunt just over the MA border in NH?
I would love to go out and get a vest full of these suckers. One or two in an afternoon is ok but enough for dinner would be great

Anyone have suggestions on a spot to hunt just over the MA border in NH?
I would love to go out and get a vest full of these suckers. One or two in an afternoon is ok but enough for dinner would be great
NH daily bag limit is the same as mass......5 a day. Do you think there are more squirrels in nh or that the bag limit is highr? The only difference is the season opens sep 1 in NH and sep 15 in mass zones 1-9.

Can't help you on where to hunt em but except the obligatory.....in the woods

Last edited:
this is what i played out the window back in the day after ingesting some chemicals. probably work just as good. for those of you offended by the english language, don't play it. sorry for the hi-jack, i'm done.

View: http://youtu.be/Iqlv-KiJDOU

One of the only rap songs I could ever tolerate. Twenty years ahead of the noise produced in the past two decades.;)

I'm super excited to put a hurting on old bushy tail. Got a 10/22 with a vortex crossfire ii and an 870. Speaking of rabbits any tips or tricks for rabbit? Especially folks like me who don't have a 4 legged hunting buddy yet? I got one last year while pheasant hunting (by-catch I guess) I sort of know to look for fields/ hedgerows etc. I tried the throwing a rock I to Bush piles to jump them any other tips/maybe some WMAs to try in western MA?

I'm super excited to put a hurting on old bushy tail. Got a 10/22 with a vortex crossfire ii and an 870. Speaking of rabbits any tips or tricks for rabbit? Especially folks like me who don't have a 4 legged hunting buddy yet? I got one last year while pheasant hunting (by-catch I guess) I sort of know to look for fields/ hedgerows etc. I tried the throwing a rock I to Bush piles to jump them any other tips/maybe some WMAs to try in western MA?
Two or three man teams work best. One man pushes the thickets and the other two stay in the clearings adjascent. Don't just throw rocks at brush piles .....the pusher needs to get right up on the pile and jump on it. The other two just need to be ready at all times. Sometimes when they flush it's like they switch on the afterburners. They are fast.

Back
Top Bottom