• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Squirrel season should be pretty good

It's like Squirrel suicide squads out on the highway. Driving up to Concord this past weekend I counted 27 dead squirrels on the road, plus seen three running across the highway that made it. What the hell is up with that? They drinking and betting with their friends to see who can make it across?

It's like Squirrel suicide squads out on the highway. Driving up to Concord this past weekend I counted 27 dead squirrels on the road, plus seen three running across the highway that made it. What the hell is up with that? They drinking and betting with their friends to see who can make it across?
Population is high due to milder winter's and decent mast crops for a few consecutive years......young squirrels are spreading out to find their own terriory.....more than usual due to the population being high. Google "great squirrel migration of 1968" and you'll get a picture of what can happen when there is a population explosion of squirrel and a subsequent mast crop failure. That event happened down south in '68. What's going on in new England now is nowhere near the level of 1968 but you'll get the idea after reading about it.

I plan on doing my best to help "manage" things in the next few weeks. Lol

Here is a link

The Squirrel Stampede - Game & Fish

Last edited:
Son's birthday was today. It's cool because is bday is always within a few days of squirrel opener in mass so we always go out the first saturday. Anyway he's been using the same 20 gauge mossy 500 on small game and uplandbirds since he was 12. He's 17 now and overdue to graduate to a 12 gauge......I have a kid that's definitely into the "classics".....loves lever action rifles and single action revolvers. Every time we see a side by side double barrel in a shop he's all over it. So I picked up a stoeger coach gun.....the deluxe model with changeable chokes and double triggers. Gave it to him tonight and he's extatic. He already set it up with full.choke in the right barrel (front trigger) and mod choke in the left barrel (rear trigger) so he can chose which choke to fire based on distance to squirrel....which I have to admit is pretty damn cool for squirrel hunting. Running buggers get the mod barrel and high in the tree gets the full. Nice.

Tomorrow I'll take him to the club after work for a quick pattern check and Saturday morning it's up early......eggs and bacon for breakfast......fill the thermos with coffee and out to the woods.

I'll be bringing the Henry lever 410 and he'll have the 20 inch double barrel 12.......what an eclectic pair eh?

I'm not sure how the hunting is, but I've never seen so many squirrels on the roads (both dead and alive) as recently. They are just everywhere! Backwoods roads, the interstate, middle of town roads, it doesn't matter. I saw several squirrels playing parkour across 125 in Epping near the shopping plazas yesterday. A few days earlier I saw what might as well have been a squirrel graveyard on I93 up north of Concord, complete with a funeral procession of live squirrels. It's just nuts!

Son's birthday was today. It's cool because is bday is always within a few days of squirrel opener in mass so we always go out the first saturday. Anyway he's been using the same 20 gauge mossy 500 on small game and uplandbirds since he was 12. He's 17 now and overdue to graduate to a 12 gauge......I have a kid that's definitely into the "classics".....loves lever action rifles and single action revolvers. Every time we see a side by side double barrel in a shop he's all over it. So I picked up a stoeger coach gun.....the deluxe model with changeable chokes and double triggers. Gave it to him tonight and he's extatic. He already set it up with full.choke in the right barrel (front trigger) and mod choke in the left barrel (rear trigger) so he can chose which choke to fire based on distance to squirrel....which I have to admit is pretty damn cool for squirrel hunting. Running buggers get the mod barrel and high in the tree gets the full. Nice.

Tomorrow I'll take him to the club after work for a quick pattern check and Saturday morning it's up early......eggs and bacon for breakfast......fill the thermos with coffee and out to the woods.

I'll be bringing the Henry lever 410 and he'll have the 20 inch double barrel 12.......what an eclectic pair eh?

Awesome gift! You know, with the lever and SxS guns, you're shadows will look straight out of a western movie. Good luck!

Son hit two with the double barrel. I got skunked. Kid out hunts me every damn time. Only hunted one hour. Skeeters were awful. Shit loads of squirrels out there though!!!!

I suppose this is the year I should push myself to finally go hunting. Anyone know a taxidermist that's willing to do a head mount of a squirrel?

I suppose this is the year I should push myself to finally go hunting. Anyone know a taxidermist that's willing to do a head mount of a squirrel?
I once took two squirrels to a taxidermist. He asked me if I wanted them mounted. I said no, just side by side on a log. Jack.

Seriously though if anyone knows someone who will do squirrel mount let me know cuz the ones I've talked to consider it a joke.

Went to Facing Rock today with the boy. We did “spot and stalk”, and at least we saw one. A ton on the road though. Haha
Still a good time, caught 4 frogs and then got out the B.B. gun for some target practice.

Went to Facing Rock today with the boy. We did “spot and stalk”, and at least we saw one. A ton on the road though. Haha
Still a good time, caught 4 frogs and then got out the B.B. gun for some target practice.
Good times! They are thick out there this year. Got 2 with my boy in an hour last Saturday morning but the skeeters were so bad we quit!

Seriously though if anyone knows someone who will do squirrel mount let me know cuz the ones I've talked to consider it a joke.

There're plenty of DIY kits out there. You could skin a few now, and keep the hides (squirrel hide? that just sounds funny) in the freezer until you're ready to make a go of it.

ESM

Yeah.....squirrel population is definitely up there. Son and I hit for 7 in 2 hours tonight!!!

One did have a bot fly hanging off it.......that one stayed in the woods. Those things are disgusting.

Last edited:
Got a bunch for the freezer already. My son wants to go out again Saturday morning. As we all know the population is high this year and it's some great hunting.

I know we discussed favorite squirrel recipes at some point. Either in a thread or in a PM? LOL I can't recall. I'd be interested to hear a few go-to recipes. I think I'll try and bag a couple tree rats this year and cook em' up. The wife may not agree with the idea but WHATEVER WOMAN!

I know we discussed favorite squirrel recipes at some point. Either in a thread or in a PM? LOL I can't recall. I'd be interested to hear a few go-to recipes. I think I'll try and bag a couple tree rats this year and cook em' up. The wife may not agree with the idea but WHATEVER WOMAN!
They taste like rabbit.....just need a few extra to make a meal.
Here's my favorite squirrel recipe

Squirrel Stew with Paprika

Just don't wind up like this guy...

A man in New York developed an extremely rare and fatal brain disorder after he ate squirrel brains, according to a new report of the man's case.

In 2015, the 61-year-old man was brought to a hospital in Rochester, New York, after experiencing a decline in his thinking abilities and losing touch with reality, the report said. The man had also lost the ability to walk on his own.

An MRI of the man's head revealed a striking finding: The brain scan looked similar to those seen in people with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), a fatal brain condition caused by infectious proteins called prions. Only a few hundred cases of vCJD have ever been reported, and most were tied to consumption of contaminated beef in the United Kingdom in the 1980s and 1990s. (In cows, vCJD is commonly called "mad cow disease.")

Man Dies from Extremely Rare Disease After Eating Squirrel Brains

Just don't wind up like this guy...

A man in New York developed an extremely rare and fatal brain disorder after he ate squirrel brains, according to a new report of the man's case.

In 2015, the 61-year-old man was brought to a hospital in Rochester, New York, after experiencing a decline in his thinking abilities and losing touch with reality, the report said. The man had also lost the ability to walk on his own.

An MRI of the man's head revealed a striking finding: The brain scan looked similar to those seen in people with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), a fatal brain condition caused by infectious proteins called prions. Only a few hundred cases of vCJD have ever been reported, and most were tied to consumption of contaminated beef in the United Kingdom in the 1980s and 1990s. (In cows, vCJD is commonly called "mad cow disease.")

Man Dies from Extremely Rare Disease After Eating Squirrel Brains
A few hundred cases have EVER been recorded......probably the rarest disease in history

Oh.....and I dont eat the brains anyway

NH daily bag limit is the same as mass......5 a day. Do you think there are more squirrels in nh or that the bag limit is highr? The only difference is the season opens sep 1 in NH and sep 15 in mass zones 1-9.

Can't help you on where to hunt em but except the obligatory.....in the woods

No it’s all about being able to use a 22 instead of a shotgun like in MA.
Seems like it would be more fun to me.

No it’s all about being able to use a 22 instead of a shotgun like in MA.
Seems like it would be more fun to me.
You can use a rifle on grey squirrel in mass in zones 1-9......with the exception of wma land stocked with pheasant DURING the pheasant season. Just find non wma property in 1-9 until pheasant season ends or hunt non wma. In fact grey squirrel in 1-9 can be hunted with a rifle or handgun of ANY caliber according to the regs.

Have you hunted squirrel before? I find a shotgun much more fun because you can hit em on the run.

Back
Top Bottom