1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Squirrel is open

Discussion in 'Hunting, Trapping, & Fishing Forum' started by whacko, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19

Two quarters works alright as a call, either rubbing the flat sides together or knocking the edge of one against the flat side of the other as you hold it in the web of your hand.

2. whacko

whacko NES Member

I've Limited out many times in September. A shotgun blows those leaves right out of the way lol

3. Coyote33

Coyote33

cthorne98 likes this.
  4. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Any caliber does well with the correct suppressor. Even if they were legal to own in Mass, there still would be an issue with using them for hunting. Jack.

whacko likes this.
  5. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

I ate my squirrel tonight. It was smoked along side my 2 10lb pork butts. After smoking it for about 45 mins at 250f I packed it in a pan with vidalia onions and some Octoberfest beer. After 2 more hrs it was sweet and tasty but tough. I’ll have to work on getting that meat more tender. It wasn’t leather but tougher than I’d like it to be. I still enjoyed it though!

6. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Which one?

7. whacko

whacko NES Member

Squirrel needs to be braised to get it tender. Whatever your stewing it in keep the heat as low as possible.......to get the simmer to about one bubble every 15 seconds.

djbradles and Al-Jim19 like this.
  8. MaverickNH

MaverickNH NES Member

Here in SoNH, West of MHT, we had near zero mast last year. The 25 squirrels that would sit under our feeder hoping for a few grains all starved or were taken as prey by predators.This year, I’ve only seen 3 squirrels in my backyard and none in the woods. The mast fall is huge this year so the few that bred should do well.

djbradles likes this.
  9. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

I’ve seen no lack of white and red acorns. Sooooo many. Going out again Weds and hope to bag a limit. I’ve only gotten 2 this season but intermixed my scouting and camera check those 2 days. Here’s hoping they’ll be a tasty stew coming soon.

10. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Out again tomorrow for a day hunt. Anyone else bag any greys?