Squirrel is open

Just a tip that works pretty slick on squirrels, download some eastern gray squirrel sounds on your cell phone and use them while you're hunting. A lot of times they will get squirrels to come in and bark and sound off. Also sometimes a good blast on a rabbit distress call will get them sounding off and moving also. You can also get red pine squirrel sounds too. My best spots include water, corn and BIG OLD oak trees. I also sit and scan cut corn fields with my spotting scope and snipe them with my .17 HMR.

Squirrel Calls - Squirrel Hunting Calls App | Decoy Pro
Two quarters works alright as a call, either rubbing the flat sides together or knocking the edge of one against the flat side of the other as you hold it in the web of your hand.

I was setting up some cameras last weekend and it looked there were way too many leaves on the trees for productive tree rat hunting.
But i may give it a go tomorrow. Zone 9
I've Limited out many times in September. A shotgun blows those leaves right out of the way lol

I ate my squirrel tonight. It was smoked along side my 2 10lb pork butts. After smoking it for about 45 mins at 250f I packed it in a pan with vidalia onions and some Octoberfest beer. After 2 more hrs it was sweet and tasty but tough. I’ll have to work on getting that meat more tender. It wasn’t leather but tougher than I’d like it to be. I still enjoyed it though!

I ate my squirrel tonight. It was smoked along side my 2 10lb pork butts. After smoking it for about 45 mins at 250f I packed it in a pan with vidalia onions and some Octoberfest beer. After 2 more hrs it was sweet and tasty but tough. I’ll have to work on getting that meat more tender. It wasn’t leather but tougher than I’d like it to be. I still enjoyed it though!
Squirrel needs to be braised to get it tender. Whatever your stewing it in keep the heat as low as possible.......to get the simmer to about one bubble every 15 seconds.

Here in SoNH, West of MHT, we had near zero mast last year. The 25 squirrels that would sit under our feeder hoping for a few grains all starved or were taken as prey by predators.This year, I’ve only seen 3 squirrels in my backyard and none in the woods. The mast fall is huge this year so the few that bred should do well.

I’ve seen no lack of white and red acorns. Sooooo many. Going out again Weds and hope to bag a limit. I’ve only gotten 2 this season but intermixed my scouting and camera check those 2 days. Here’s hoping they’ll be a tasty stew coming soon.

Lots of them again now. They were gone for a long time. I guess it goes in cycles. Now seeing a bobcat around, so they'll be gone again.

One each for me and the boy. Also flushed shot and downed a pheasant but we couldn't recover it.

Attachments

• 20191019_170955.jpg
    20191019_170955.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 20
One each for me and the boy. Also flushed shot and downed a pheasant but we couldn't recover it.
Bummer about the pheasant. Where were you? I was in the Dcr field plots south of Barre falls WMa. Saw a red squirrel only on an old fieldstone wall about 10 feet from me but he was scrawny and I felt not to hit em.

There were no dog fights as far as I could tell but there was a hunter who was quite upset about his dog not giving up the downed pheasant, lol.

It was a spectacle to say the least....

Bummer about the pheasant. Where were you? I was in the Dcr field plots south of Barre falls WMa. Saw a red squirrel only on an old fieldstone wall about 10 feet from me but he was scrawny and I felt not to hit em.

There were no dog fights as far as I could tell but there was a hunter who was quite upset about his dog not giving up the downed pheasant, lol.

It was a spectacle to say the least....
Crane pond

Had the whole thing to ourselves after 4pm. It was quiet and the sun getting low..... We got one pheasant to flush like I said .....and I had one that I tried to get to flush but it held tight in a thicket so we let it alone. 2 Grey squirrels in the bag but we had 3 others in sight but never got in range. They are out there.

It was a nice afternoon.

It was a nice afternoon. I spent the whole time fixing my blind which blew over in the bombocyclone, checked various cameras, and in the meantime saw 2 greys which noticed me from far off and skeedattled outta there really quick. They must be onto me in that area. Finally saw a few bucks trailing does on camera. A 6 pt and an 8 pt.

Back
Top Bottom