• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spudzooka, Spud Gun, Potato cannon... are they legal in MA?

Nafets

NES Member
About 20 years ago when I was in high school a buddy and I built a couple of potato cannons. We used ABS pipe (PVC works too) to build them and used hairspray to launch the spuds. We had lots of good cheap fun.
Recently I have been thinking about 'reliving my childhood' and building another Spud Launcher, or maybe going more 'adult' and getting a golf ball cannon.[devil]

Now, I know a LOT has changed in the past 20 years and haven't been able to find much information on the legality of having a Spud Gun in MA. Anybody know if a hairspray propelled Spud Gun is considered a firearm in MA? I don't want to get labeled as a spud toting terrorist or get my LTC revoked for having a 'weapon of mashed destruction'.

Thanks!
-Stefan

Disclaimer: I'm currently looking to strike up a conversation to gather opinions and will seek actual legal advice from an actual law person.

I don't recall ever seeing any law that prohibits them. They are fun as hell. I was playing with one at a friend's house just two summers ago. The ignition system can be iffy once the potato juices start gathering in the chamber.

I wish I had a picture of the one my buddy had. It had two carved wooden pistol grips, a small diameter pvc cut for a "sight", and an old dull kitchen knife duct-taped to the muzzle for a bayonet. [laugh]

ETA:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/68227-Are-spud-guns-legal-here-in-the-PRM

Last edited:
Several years ago I built a few of these with my son. I opted to propel via compressed air because I didn't want the kid touching off flammable stuff. I even incorporated a pressure relief valve so he could not over pressurize the thing. You would be amazed how far you can launch a potato with 90psi of air.

Lots of good stuff here, including rifled PVC for barrels.

http://www.spudtech.com

A few years back Tippmann, the paintball company, came out with a paintball gun that ran off Propane much like a spud gun operates.

They discontinued the gun a short period of time after releasing it. I heard it was because it was considered a firearm under this definition(part A):
The term "firearm" means
( A ) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
( B ) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
( C ) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
( D ) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

I am not certain how the MA definition reads, but I figured this could add to the conversation.

Another option which worked out really well for me is to make an air cannon (not considered a firearm). All that is needed is some PVC pipes and fittings, a tire valve, a compressor (or bike pump) and an automatic sprinkler system valve (http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-57624-S...id=1384889865&sr=8-4&keywords=sprinkler+valve). Oh and you'll need a way to open the valve, I used three 9V batteries and an ordinary light switch. I workded great! As a kid I could launch peaches (my neighbor had a tree) 200 yards or better with just 100 psi. Search the interwebs if you want to make one there are directions all over the place.

in college in the late 70's we made tennis ball launchers out of beer cans. this is before the rounded aluminum cans, the old tin cans had rims, like canned vegetables. Duct taped them together, squirt lighter fluid inside, stuff a tennis ball in with a broom handle, then spark a zippo at the hole in the end. WOOOOOSH ! I hit a kid in the chest at 50ft and knocked him down [rofl]

I've built several years ago they would send spuds into outerspace!! well maybe just the next town over but you get the drift, the ignition system goes to shit after a few bags I was using gas grill igniters though they can also explode and kill you so have a friend try it first.

There was a court case a few years ago where it was determined by the judge that a spud gun was NOT an infernal device. This was after he went with the defendant and tried it himself.

Unfortunately, it was not in MA, so case law does not apply. I would say if u are in the woods....go for it. If you have a dick neighbor....it could be troublesome

If used properly, it will never attract the "wrong" kind of attention. I still have mine I made in middle school in Pa. (uh oh, over state lines, no serial number and no FA-10). Its a great addition to a camping trip. With the right pipe (schedule 80) its safe. Aquanet works best. cheaper the better. I remember when I got my brother to take me to the hardware store for the supplies, the guy at the store was like " whatcha makin there son?" I hesitated for a moment but told him. He walked through the whole store with me and got the right pipe, glue and ignition. Careful though. At close range I could see it punching a hole through someone. Good recoil too

in college in the late 70's we made tennis ball launchers out of beer cans. this is before the rounded aluminum cans, the old tin cans had rims, like canned vegetables. Duct taped them together, squirt lighter fluid inside, stuff a tennis ball in with a broom handle, then spark a zippo at the hole in the end. WOOOOOSH ! I hit a kid in the chest at 50ft and knocked him down [rofl]

You posted what I was going to post. Tennis ball launchers where the precursors to potato cannons....

But, I also had a potato gun when I was ten years old. It was an air gun, but you jammed the barrel into a potato to load it.

You'll be fine. Obama approves, so MA will naturally think it's okay.

obama-potato-gun.jpg

Gas grill ignitor and starting fluid. A small small squirt is all you need. Less is more, really. Actually if you put in too much it doesn't work as well, not enough oxygen. PVC not ABS.

Of course this is all stuff I have read, I would never try anything like this that could be potentially dangerous.

You can lose sight of the potato (so they say)

About 20 years ago when I was in high school a buddy and I built a couple of potato cannons. We used ABS pipe (PVC works too) to build them and used hairspray to launch the spuds. We had lots of good cheap fun.
Recently I have been thinking about 'reliving my childhood' and building another Spud Launcher, or maybe going more 'adult' and getting a golf ball cannon.[devil]

Now, I know a LOT has changed in the past 20 years and haven't been able to find much information on the legality of having a Spud Gun in MA. Anybody know if a hairspray propelled Spud Gun is considered a firearm in MA? I don't want to get labeled as a spud toting terrorist or get my LTC revoked for having a 'weapon of mashed destruction'.

Thanks!
-Stefan

Disclaimer: I'm currently looking to strike up a conversation to gather opinions and will seek actual legal advice from an actual law person.

Clearly, this thread was created as an excuse to use the phrase "weapon of mashed destruction". [smile]

I'm currently looking to strike up a conversation to gather opinions and will seek actual legal advice from an actual law person.

I have used my "air cannons" in Mass, NY, VT, NH, CT, and Fort Drum. Spoken with several LEO's both local and state police. If one were using spud gun in such a manner to inflict bodily harm, destroy private property, or violate noise ordnances, you can be charged with "misuse of a destructive device".

I only use mine on private property where you have a line of sight and know no one is downrange. I would avoid using one in a park.

The heavier the projectile the further it will go. My longest shot with a dirt filled beer can was a quarter mile. (We drove to measure the distance.) I generally shoot tennis balls at reenactments and airsoft games. I load 6+ to bombard a target.

Avoid ABS and cellular core (non pressure rated) PVC. 40+ psi and there will be a boom. I make my cannons out of steel. Google GGDT GasGunDesignTool, it's a program to calculate cannon/valve design. Also goto spudfiles forums, lots of intel there.

I have a golf ball barrel for a "knee mortar" I made. I avoid using it, because I have yet find a golf ball when I go high-er pressures of 160-180 psi... I have taken my 4-deuce mortar all the way to 800 psi (unregulated CO2).

Some cannons:

4 Deuce replica (Tennis ball gun)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/4deuce mortar/4deuce_mortar_26.jpg
M1 bazooka (Direct fire tennis ball gun)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/bazooka/bazooka_m1a1_14.jpg
81mm cart mounted mortar (20lbs CO2 tank in cart)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/Brecourt/brecourt_9.jpg
Portable "knee mortar"
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/AT4/at4_mojo.jpg
Me firing the 81mm at a Vietnam event in CT. (Firing tennis balls - good blast of CO2)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/edthebouncer/mortar/81mm_ed_liberty_384539670_UkUVu-L-1.jpg

Have fun and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom