SPRINT OR VERIZON?

Looking for peoples opinion on Sprint wireless. Considering changing from Verizon. Just want to make sure I don't regret it!

How's the signal in your areas?

Sprint sucks, got rid of it after they bought out Nextel and shut down the IDEN network.
They took something great and destroyed it. [sad2]
The Sprint network in NE is loaded with dead spots.
Verizon is the only carrier that has reasonable coverage all over NE.
You may think it sucks, but all the others are worse.

Ugh....I just feel like they have me by the balls! I want to add my daughter to my plan but it will cost me a ton more. Keep the replies coming.!!

Ive had Sprint since 1999. I travel all over NE and midatlantic for work. I have no issues with them and no plans on leaving. We now currently have 5 lines on the plan and no complaints from the wife or kids.

There is no cell company that's "awesome". All have dead spots/areas. Just pick the one that makes financial sense for what you need personally. If you have bad service at home, get a booster. Sprint provides Airaves for free if you have a plan.

Sprint sucks, got rid of it after they bought out Nextel and shut down the IDEN network.

This. I tried Sprint years ago - poor to no service on the north shore. Sprint might have changed but if you look at their coverage map, it still looks very spotty in the NE. I'm with Verizon now - only complaint is the price.

Wow, Sprint still sucks after all these years? I dropped them like 10 years ago for bad coverage, VZW is more expensive but coverage is much better, dropped Sprint at the time because of no coverage in the hills of Southern NH, VZW was much better there. Wmass too.

Just left verizon for sprint after 9 years, vzw is the best service period. Just got tired of getting charged for over using data only had 10gigs wife and i now share 25gigs for 87$ blackfriday special. Was paying 150$ with verizon. But sprint still has good service, just verizon spoiled me

This

25 gigs? Holy Moly.

My wife is phone whore and she uses like 2 gigs.

That's nothing. I use my hotspot for work all the time to tether my laptop and 25gb is low. I still have the Sprint unlimited data plan. I've had it since it was created.

4G. It's pretty awesome when you really use it.

Work phone is Verizon. No complaints. I don't pay the bill either.

Had Nextel/Sprint up until this past April. Got sick of paying. Went to Cricket. $25 a month on AT&T/TMO towers. Only a few drops in very specific areas.

Sprint for almost 12 years. Happy with service. Unlimited data, great deals on new equipment with their business plan..minor issues over the years but eventually sorted out, nothing i wouldnt expect from any other provider, plus i just dont like change.

Sprint had the better deals, I had them years ago and was happy. Then I moved to a new house and could not get reception. Since my phone needs to work at my house I switched to Verizon. Verizon has the best coverage and is most expensive. Next time I switch, I'll probably try AT&T. They also work well at my house.

It really comes down to what works best where you plan to be...

Sprint does not have quite as much coverage as Verizon.
But I stay for two words.
UNLIMITED DATA.

last month we used 77 mb of roaming, and 14gb of 4gLTE across 5 phones with sprint. The bill was $263.08
When one of our (non iPhones) phones dies we walk into the sprint store & they give us a new one.
No waiting for one to ship out to us.
Their customer service has been great.

I don't even use WIFI in my house anymore because LTE is faster than my comcast connection!

I had both Verizon is too expensive Sprint is good for being the first customer because you get a better phone for less money then existing members. I switch to Metro PCS great connection free phone and $60.00 a month

I used to work for Sprint.

Get Verizon as fast as you can.

Honestly I keep Sprint because i have a $40 a month former employee plan but my co-workers that got laid off with me have all switched to Verizon and say it's just so much better. My cell service is fine in eastern ma and southern NH. When I don't have Sprint coverage it roams onto Verizon so I still have service. Not a big deal. Data coverage isn't that great though.

Last edited:
We went from Verizon to Sprint at work, lasted 2 months back on Verizon. What good is a cheap plan if you cant get reception? I have AT&T for my personal phone and it works were I need it to.

Have a look at the Google FI project: https://fi.google.com/ my brother likes it. It's on two two networks and works with WIFI too.

I have an AT&T Phone from what that's wasn't bad in MA.

I just signed up for this but haven't activated it yet. The biggest benefit to this plan is that you only pay for the data that you use.

The way the plan works is it is $20/month for calling and texting, which includes calls made while abroad with no additional charges, and you set how much data you think you need each month at $10/GB. I'm not a heavy data user so my plan will be for 2 GB. If I only use 1.4 GB my next bill will have a $6 credit applied. If I use 2.4 GB my next bill will be $4 higher. Its essentially $0.10/MB and you don't incur any of the ridiculous overage fees.

The only downside is that you need one of Google's newer phones, but when my phone died I bought a Nexus 6 knowing that I would be moving to this new plan. More phones will be added in the future. Its worth checking out if you are as fed up with the 4 primary mobile carriers as I am. F them.

Last edited:
I got tired of the shit service I had on Sprint and moved to T-Mo. Yeah, I don't get service upstate NH, but I didn't with Sprint either, and now my data speeds don't blow.

I've been with Sprint for quite a number of years and have been mostly happy with them. That said, the first thing to do is to check the coverage maps of Sprint and Verizon for the areas you are most likely to be in. Since both Sprint and Verizon use the same underlying technology, Sprint phones generally will roam over to Verizon for voice coverage, once you get out of Sprint coverage. Data is more tricky and depends on whether the Sprint phone covers the bands Verizon or their partners use. For example, I was in downeast Maine on vacation this summer and although there was a 4G data network available, my Sprint phone didn't cover those frequencies, so I only had crappy data coverage.

So, FWIW, check coverage first and then look at pricing. Good Luck.

Before Sprint began degrading the Nextel network, we all carried Nextels because they were department issued. When the decision was made to shift to sometime else, we spent a fair amount of time testing practical coverage of Sprint, AT&T and Verizon, concentrating on eastern and southeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. Verizon was better than the other two, by a large margin.

This was several years ago, but I'm not aware of anything that would imply a different result today.

Check out Google's Project Fi. Although there are only a small number of compatible phones at the moment, Google provides a mesh of coverage by using either T-Mobile or Sprint, whichever signal is stronger at the moment. It also use wifi as available. And it can handoff calls between all three.

$20/month for unlimited calls and text. $10/gb for internet. My sense is that Google does a much better job of grabbing wifi signals for internet connectivity as my web usage has been cut in 1/2.

ETA: No contract either. Cancel at any time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom