• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield XDM

Aaron[MA]

NES Member
Can someone explain why this gun is not Mass compliant?

And why does the seach function not recognize 2-letter strings?

This text is from the Four Seasons "Guns That You Cannot Buy in Massachusetts" page.
It's about a 1911 pistol not the XD but it sums it up.
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY.

Even though this pistol has extra safeties, a loaded round indicator, many other safety features that would make this MA compliant....the factory has told us that they have no intention of certifying any of their guns for sale in MA.

The arrogant tone of the Springfield Armory representative that I spoke with on the phone may as well said to me... "We can't be bothered with your state". Maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive but that's what if felt like.

Last edited:
I do like Springfield products but this makes me mad! Especially, in these financial times what company wouldn't benefit from an entire states business!! Foolish!!

With the way MA has treated some companies (e.g. glock) in the certification process I am not surprised that Springfield Armory wants to avoid the hassle of getting their handguns certified for compliance with a bunch of bullshit feelgood regulations.

With the way MA has treated some companies (e.g. glock) in the certification process I am not surprised that Springfield Armory wants to avoid the hassle of getting their handguns certified for compliance with a bunch of bullshit feelgood regulations.

Exactly. Why should a company spend a ton of money and jump through a bunch of hoops to get on the EOPS list only to have the whole thing shoved up their butt by some anti-civil rights, pencil necked geek in the AG's office.

Exactly. Why should a company spend a ton of money and jump through a bunch of hoops to get on the EOPS list only to have the whole thing shoved up their butt by some anti-civil rights, pencil necked geek in the AG's office.
I believe this is exactly what the state has in mind, if they can make enough stupid laws that put a financial burden on the gun manufacturers then, voila, no more guns (at least they think).

I do like Springfield products but this makes me mad! Especially, in these financial times what company wouldn't benefit from an entire states business!! Foolish!!

Getting your guns on the EOPS list is an expensive process, and even after passing, the AG can simply say no and thats the end of if. Glock got screwed just like that.

If I remember right it was partially Glock's fault. Something with the loaded round indicator didn't meet the Mass requirement and Glock said it did. I would also have to assume that the cost of testing would easily be recouped by the flood of sales on XD's alone not too mention the rest of their M1A and 1911 product line.

I guess we can complain all day but the choice is theirs and they have made it. Hopefully Goal can work some magic and fix the insanity in our gun laws!!

i take it this applies to the regular line of XDs as well?

that really sucks... my friend in iowa has been talking about his ever since he got it, he cannot say enough nice things about the XD series.

If I remember right it was partially Glock's fault. Something with the loaded round indicator didn't meet the Mass requirement and Glock said it did.

Could you tell a round was loaded in the chamber? Yes. So it wasn't glocks fault at all.

God how I hate this state. I can't get out of here soon enough. Don't know how I'm going to get through the next 5 years here, but after that, BYE!

Question: aren't guns always loaded? What the hell do we need a "loaded chamber indicator" for?

All that and also the XDM has a ridiculous but awesome mag capacity of like 20+1 rds of 9mm!

As nice is the XDm is, even if it were available here I wouldn't buy one because I'd have to put 10rnd magazines in it.

Could you tell a round was loaded in the chamber? Yes. So it wasn't glocks fault at all.

Not to mention there is no "specification" for this in the f**ing AG's piece of shit consumer safety regulations. It's patently obvious that the AG wants manufacturers to fail in "compliance" by not telling them exactly what is and what is not permitted.

-Mike

Mass Laws

God how I hate this state. I can't get out of here soon enough. Don't know how I'm going to get through the next 5 years here, but after that, BYE!

Question: aren't guns always loaded? What the hell do we need a "loaded chamber indicator" for?
Ditto.

I see. Does anyone know exactly what is involved in getting a gun certified? I've now read 5 or so articles on the XDM in 9mm .40 and .45ACP, all stating that the gun is the tits and other than Mag cap, which can be cured with a different 10-rd mag, and I suppose trigger weight (?), it seems like the gun meets the criteria.

Seems like the cert process ought not entail more than the donation of one gun chambered in each caliber. Does it meet the safety requirements? - yes. done. certified.

I've always known that this state sucked, but since applying for my LTC and learning all that I have here and elsewhere, I'm absolutely astonished. Mass has really achieved an entirely new level of suck and the federal gov't is right up there with it.

Aaron[MA];730051 said:
I see. Does anyone know exactly what is involved in getting a gun certified?

IIRC its destruction of 3 samples (destructive testing) and likely thousands
of dollars in fees for the tests.

Worse yet, Even if you get the gun on the roster that doesn't make it "MA saleable", because it has to pass the shitty AG's regs test.

-Mike

I would jump on an XD if they were sold here in MA. I don't blame them for not wanting to go through the hassle to get approved but I think there are many out there that would get one if they were. Every experience I have had with the XD line has been great.

What sucks in this case (with the 1911) is they probably would not require any modification to be for sale in MA. There would be no need to make a separate "Ma compliant" model. :(

IIRC its destruction of 3 samples (destructive testing) and likely thousands
of dollars in fees for the tests.

Worse yet, Even if you get the gun on the roster that doesn't make it "MA saleable", because it has to pass the shitty AG's regs test.

-Mike

I'd put money on the AG regs being the main impediment here. CA has a similar roster to the EOPS list and the testing involved is similar (and clearly spelled out). Companies don't bother with any step in the MA process because they know they'll eventually encounter the AG BS so they don't even start.

I'd put money on the AG regs being the main impediment here. CA has a similar roster to the EOPS list and the testing involved is similar (and clearly spelled out). Companies don't bother with any step in the MA process because they know they'll eventually encounter the AG BS so they don't even start.

Yeah, I agree. I can easily see the AG shitting on the XD, too, because it "looks like a glock" or some crap like that. The trigger would also have to
be made terrible, too.

-Mike

If I remember right it was partially Glock's fault. Something with the loaded round indicator didn't meet the Mass requirement and Glock said it did.

You may be right; I have no idea what the AG's office requires. But, from the handguns I own and have seen, the Glock indicator (a bump on the extractor that protrudes when a round is chambered) seems just as good or better than any others. The Ma**h*** variety (hole in the top of the barrel) has no tactile component, which the Glock has. And some of the visual indicators (e.g., on the Walther P99 or Sig P232) are not that easy to see. These things all seem useless to me anyway, and are just another variant on idiocy in Massachusetts government.

I'd love to get an XD series Springfield. I have been told by a local gun store that LEO's can buy Springfield guns in MA legally. That could be a myth. If so it doesn't seem right at all, seems like discrimation actually. I read somewhere that Springfield won't make their guns MA compliant because the guidelines aren't clear.

I'd buy one tomorrow if they were legal in MA. What do you expect from a corrupt democrat state.

I'd love to get an XD series Springfield. I have been told by a local gun store that LEO's can buy Springfield guns in MA legally. That could be a myth. If so it doesn't seem right at all, seems like discrimation actually. I read somewhere that Springfield won't make their guns MA compliant because the guidelines aren't clear.

I'd buy one tomorrow if they were legal in MA. What do you expect from a corrupt democrat state.

Your local gun store needs to read up on the EOPS list.

Your local gun store needs to read up on the EOPS list.

They are always being rumored to give out the wrong info. There is really only one guy there to see for anything and he is only there part time. He has a regular day job. If I don't see his truck I don't go in.

Shop owners are my favorite source of gun law mis-information... We should start a thread, "Dumb things that shop owners have told me."

Getting your guns on the EOPS list is an expensive process, and even after passing, the AG can simply say no and thats the end of if. Glock got screwed just like that.

Getting on the EOPS List is a relatively cheap process. The tests are similar to CA requirements, most of the CA-approved test labs are also MA-approved, etc. Doing them both at the same time doesn't boost the cost significantly.

It's the "great unknown" of the AG Regs that stops most from bothering to submit to EOPS.

Aaron[MA];730051 said:
I see. Does anyone know exactly what is involved in getting a gun certified?

Seems like the cert process ought not entail more than the donation of one gun chambered in each caliber. Does it meet the safety requirements? - yes. done. certified.

Yes, some of us have actually read the requirements . . . all laid out in Ch. 140 and in the CMRs created by EOPS.

What "seems to you" isn't reality, I suggest that you invest some time in reading the actual requirements and trying to understand them prior to making further statements on what you think they are. It might make more sense to you once you read it.

IIRC its destruction of 3 samples (destructive testing) and likely thousands of dollars in fees for the tests.

-Mike

The marginal cost differential if they test for both CA and MA is very insignificant, probably no more than $1-2K more to include MA testing. I designed a product safety test lab for the late DEC and later managed it, so I'm very familiar with these kinds of processes.

It's the AG's nebulous requirements that makes most companies throw their hands in the air and make a business decision not to deal with MA at all.

Paul is absolutely correct here.

You have been told "wrong". LEOs can order any gun that IS on the EOPS List. We are ONLY exempt from the AG's Regs. Your guess wrt Springfield is correct, see above.

I would also have to assume that the cost of testing would easily be recouped by the flood of sales on XD's alone not too mention the rest of their M1A and 1911 product line.

I think they're simply looking at it from another point of view: why pay money to have our gun sold in an anti-gun state when it might not even become legal. Springfield does great business selling their guns to all those other free states. The regular joe buyer doesn't have enough demand for guns to make it worht their while.

As nice is the XDm is, even if it were available here I wouldn't buy one because I'd have to put 10rnd magazines in it.

Same reason I have no interest in the M&P series. As long as I'm stuck in Mass. with nuetered mag capacities, I'm just not interested. At least I can almost pretend I'm free with pre-ban high cap mags.

do they sell them in CT

To the best of my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom