Someone let me shoot their Garand.

Shane

Banned
After watching a few WWII movies, and playing countless games of Call of Duty, I've come to the conclusion that one of you fine individuals would be doing me a great service by allowing me to meet with you at a range at a time of your choosing (as your guest) and proceeding to allow me some range time with someones:

A) United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1
B) 1911

Any takers? I've got my FID of course, haven't really shot too much, but I'm considering saving for an M1 but I want to try someones first.

I'm a good shit IMO, so you would enjoy my company I guarantee.

I live JUST south of Boston.

I will bring my own .30-06 and .45ACP cartridges.

They use to have a loaner M1 at the WSA indoor outdoor matches on Sunday mornings. $5 for 20 shots. Not sure if they still have loaner rifles or ammo. Maybe someone can chime in.

B

I will easily drive to Rochester for some M1 Garand time. Seeing as I cannot legally own a pistol, I would also appreciate any time on one, particularly a .45.

I've shot a .40 before.

Pick a day, preferrably weekend.

Pick a time, i'm there, with my own ammo.

Well, SSM, if you wanted to come out to Hudson I think something could be arranged... I have a Korean War era M1 and a S&W 1911.

You are welcome to try mine. As long as you don't mine traveling to Woburn.
Weekends are best, and I'll even let you shoot my 1903A3.

If nothing else works out, contact me via PM. We can arrange a meeting time at Mansfield fish and game. I've got an M1 and an M1911A1, both from 1944.

"But honey, I gotta go to the range. I'm corrupting...I mean I'm teaching the next victim...I mean student on two different firearms."

After watching a few WWII movies, and playing countless games of Call of Duty, I've come to the conclusion that one of you fine individuals would be doing me a great service by allowing me to meet with you at a range at a time of your choosing (as your guest) and proceeding to allow me some range time with someones:

A) United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1
B) 1911

Any takers? I've got my FID of course, haven't really shot too much, but I'm considering saving for an M1 but I want to try someones first.

I'm a good shit IMO, so you would enjoy my company I guarantee.

I live JUST south of Boston.

I will bring my own .30-06 and .45ACP cartridges.

You should come down to the Hanson rod & Gun Club and shoot the CMP course of fire. First Saturday and Third Sunday of the month. We have M1 Garands and a few M-14s you can use. $20.00 gets you the use of the gun, 60 rounds of ammo, targets, and coaching if you want it. http://www.hansonrodandgunclub.com/

Will my cross dominance be a major issue firing a Garand?

I appreciate all your replies.

I could shoot righty, which feels more natural in my arms, but I know I"ll be a little bit off.

I could shoot lefty, which I can deal with, and my accuracy would be better.

Does shooting a Garand lefty present a major problem?

I was actually hoping somebody would not only allow me to try out some of their firearms, but maybe be able to help me come to grips with my cross dominance and perhaps offer some training or remedys.

I could shoot righty, which feels more natural in my arms, but I know I"ll be a little bit off.

I was actually hoping somebody would not only allow me to try out some of their firearms, but maybe be able to help me come to grips with my cross dominance and perhaps offer some training or remedys.

The only issue I've had shooting a Garand lefty is that when it is empty, it goes "ping" and pops the little clip up in the air and it can come down on your head. Not to worry, though, it is very light and will not hurt you in any way.

Hey, Betsy's easy. What can I say? [wink]

On more ways than several [rofl]

She's loose with her affections, but also she's a dream to shoot. I've heard many a story about how well the M1 controls the recoil of the .30-06, but the garand tames it nicely.

Also they are just as accurate as you hear!

Arrrr

I am also cross dominant- if you shot the rifle righty- you might just want to close your left eye. Vice versa for shooting lefty.

I'm left eye dominat and I can't shoot at all with both my eyes open and it's horribly uncomfortable for me to shoot lefty. [frown]

I'm left eye dominat and I can't shoot at all with both my eyes open and it's horribly uncomfortable for me to shoot lefty. [frown]

You can train your eye so that it is more comfortable to keep it open by occluding your vision from the non firing eye. You want to let in some light so your pupils don't constrict differentially, so a patch would not be the best. I have a hat with a flap that comes down to block my sight when I'm shooting. You can also use some scotch tape over the shooting glasses. Keeping both eyes open is more comfortable when you are doing lots of shooting. Keeps you from having a headache at the end of the session.

B

As RO at BR&P's last CMP match for the year, I was watching someone shoot the M1 lefty. He had no problem, ejection was forward and to the right. I saw someone else shooting another M1 and brass was landing just to the right of the shooter.

Always wear a hat while shooting to avoid brass/clips hitting you on the head or getting between glasses and cheek (yowie!).

So the answer to ejection will vary depending on the gun. I suspect that a good smith could do something for you here if you buy one and need it modified to eject away from you.

Last edited:
You should come down to the Hanson rod & Gun Club and shoot the CMP course of fire. First Saturday and Third Sunday of the month. We have M1 Garands and a few M-14s you can use. $20.00 gets you the use of the gun, 60 rounds of ammo, targets, and coaching if you want it. http://www.hansonrodandgunclub.com/

Anyone who is offered this and fails to take advantage of it does not have his head screwed on right.

Originally Posted by Emoto

Anyone who is offered this and fails to take advantage of it does not have his head screwed on right.

Our CMP shoots are open to the public.

I went to the Hanson CMP shoot last month. It was my first. Very friendly group down there. I had a real good time. I'm giving serious consideration to going again this weekend.

First I want to collect my bi-weekly paycheck on Friday, calculate expenses, then my very next step will be contacting various people who posted on this thread asking if I can shoot with them. The prospect of shooting WWII rifles (or even handguns) is very appealing. I thank you all for your kindness.

First I want to try some WWII stuff, but after that, I still would like to meet some of you and shoot. Since I own nothing but a Marlin .22LR, my offer of bringing my own ammunition stands if you will give me some time with your rifles and handguns.

I can't wait to shoot a M1! I've read so much about them, I can't wait!

I went to the Hanson CMP shoot last month. It was my first. Very friendly group down there. I had a real good time. I'm giving serious consideration to going again this weekend.

Glad to hear it! I wanted to say that Hanson is a friendly club, but I didn't want my post to sound too much like spam. [wink]

If you a lefty shooting an M1 Garand, just make sure that you have a modified Operating Rod. Unmodified Op Rods are rare (and valuable to collectors), so if you have one, great, trade it or keep it, but don't use it.

The Op Rods before the modification had a tendency to break. Painful to a righty, but frequently fatal to a lefty, they get the back half of the Op Rod right in the face. This was a modification done during or just after WW2.

Considering the best place to get an M1 from is CMP, and they will likely ensure that it has a modified Op Rod, you should be OK with a CMP M1.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/OpRod.htm

Back
Top Bottom