Sold

Billy2

Instructor
NES Member
Does any one have one of these yet and what are your feelings on it? It is a 5 shot snub nose based on the bulldog frame and does not require moon clips...

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CARR.html

carr1.gif

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the .45 model. I do think that this revolver would be better off with full moon clips. This extraction system that works with rimless cases is a brilliant solution to a non-existant problem. I own a couple of S&W .45 ACP revolvers and love the full moon clips. My dream snubby is a five shot SS S&W in 45 ACP using full moon clips.

I have been waiting for the .45 model. I do think that this revolver would be better off with full moon clips. This extraction system that works with rimless cases is a brilliant solution to a non-existant problem. I own a couple of S&W .45 ACP revolvers and love the full moon clips. My dream snubby is a five shot SS S&W in 45 ACP using full moon clips.

Agree. I actually looked closely at this revolver when it first came out, but when I found it wouldn't accept moon clips I lost interest. The tab that projects into the cylinder make reloading harder.

Well I got one and the pistol feels very solid. It shoots well in single and double action. Accuracy was good and the lockup was tight.

Not sure I am diging it as a backup though. Its feels a lot bigger than a J frame and weighs almost as much as the glock 23 it backs up.

It fits in most j frame holsters but it feels like twice the gun. I will try to post some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Frankly I don't know why anyone would want a revolver in a semi-auto caliber that doesn't use moon clips. I used to have an SP101 in 9mm (neat gun) that used moon clips as well as a S&W 625. Currently I have two S&W Model 22's in .45 ACP (Thunder Ranch Model of 1950 and S&W Classic Model of 1917). I will grant you that moon clips are a PITA to recharge but they are faster than a speed strip or a speed loader when loading a revolver, and if you really practice the difference between reloading a magazine and reloading with a moon clip is hardly noticeable IMO.

I know the .45 Auto Rim was very popular at one time and is still available, but the chief liability of a revolver is a slower reload time as opposed to a magazine fed semi-auto. I've have always used moon clips (have a de-mooner) or half-moon clips and frankly I don't see what the big deal is in not using them.

The idea of a .40 cal revolver is a good one IMO, sort of like the old Colts chambered in 38-40 W.C.F. I think S&W made a few 5 shot L frames in that caliber.

I think the point for these is as a BUG in the same caliber as your primary. I would rather not have moon clips for that.

I think the point for these is as a BUG in the same caliber as your primary. I would rather not have moon clips for that.

Why not? There is a school of thought that says you should always carry at least one reload for your BUG. I will grant you that if your primary weapon has run dry after one or two magzine reloads, you probably need something more than a handgun, but stuff does happen, and moon clips are not that awkward to carry. Having your primary gun malfunction is also a possibility and you have to use the BUG. Also too, lots of people buy snubbies as BUGs but end up carrying them as a primary because of convenience. (I know that I have been guilty of this from time to time).

I'll take moon clips over speed strips or speed loaders anytime, and as far as individually loading each cartridge in the cylinder by hand, who thats' waay too old school, and just not a good idea under stress.

If you look at carrying five in the BUG when the primary gun runs out, or malfunctions, you have limited your options really quickly IMO.

There is a great video online of someone loading the charter off of a glock 23 mag. I tried it and it worked pretty well. This would be in the case of a malfunction with or loss of the primary, while still having mags for it.

There is a great video online of someone loading the charter off of a glock 23 mag. I tried it and it worked pretty well. This would be in the case of a malfunction with or loss of the primary, while still having mags for it.

This could also be done with a revolver designed for moon clips, but you would only get one cylinder full as the empties would be difficult to remove.

Back up piece to a semi to have ammo comparability? I bet with a little practice, a full mag would make a handy speed loader.

I don't understand your reply especially the first sentence. I like the idea of a back up piece with the same ammo capability, so what is the point? Why would you carry a full extra mag if you didn't use it in your primary gun first? I think most people carry one to two spare magazines, normally. The BUG is exactly that, a back-up for when you are out of ammo or your primary weapon malfunctions. If you have a malfunction you don't have a choice but to go to the BUG. I suppose you could use your spare mag to load your BUG revolver with your primary pistol malfunctions, but otherwise I would think that you would want to use your primary pistol until you have expended all ammunition for it. So why wouldn't you carry a least one moon clip for a BUG reload?

I have been waiting for the .45 model. I do think that this revolver would be better off with full moon clips. This extraction system that works with rimless cases is a brilliant solution to a non-existant problem.

Agree completely. Reloading a moonclip revolver is faster than reloading with speedloaders, and with a niche gun like this, there won't be many (if any) choices for speedloaders. Also extraction is better with moonclips as they all come out at once and you won't have a single casing hang up.

They created an expensive, complicated solution to replace a less expensive, simpler, and more effective solution.

If I wanted to carry a backup to my Glock 23 that had ammunition compatibility, I'd carry a Glock 27 -- better solution to this problem than a .40 revolver.

I don't understand your reply especially the first sentence. I like the idea of a back up piece with the same ammo capability, so what is the point? Why would you carry a full extra mag if you didn't use it in your primary gun first? I think most people carry one to two spare magazines, normally. The BUG is exactly that, a back-up for when you are out of ammo or your primary weapon malfunctions. If you have a malfunction you don't have a choice but to go to the BUG. I suppose you could use your spare mag to load your BUG revolver with your primary pistol malfunctions, but otherwise I would think that you would want to use your primary pistol until you have expended all ammunition for it. So why wouldn't you carry a least one moon clip for a BUG reload?

That's basically what I meant. The ammo for the revolver is interesting...I guess someone should come up with a speed loader. Then again, if I have a BUG, I dont usually have a spare mag for the BUG, if its a revolver I will have a speed strip or something though.

But it would be good if the primary malfunctioned and couldn't be fixed.

I always think the Charters are cool, and tell myself I want one, until I see one in person again and see how rough they look. Just personal opinion, but when a gun makes a Taurus look like a nicely finished revolver...

Back
Top Bottom