Soft plug in barrel for pocket carry

I know this may be a stupid question but it seems like one to ask.

When carrying a pistols without holsters it seems like it would be nice to keep lint and dirt from entering the barrel. I realize that carrying with a holster is the preferred method for safety and cleanliness, so no need to discuss this.

Two examples of this type of naked carry would be a snub revolver in a pants or coat pocket, and a small semi auto with a clip in the waistband.

Now don't think I am nuts here but: If you put a small foam plug, maybe 3/8' long (possibly part of a hearing protection earplug for example) in the end of the barrel it would keep it clean, but would it cause the barrel to explode when fired??

It sure doesn't seem like a tiny foam plug would case any issue???

Has this been done, or am I nuts?? [smile]

Last edited:
No need to carry a snub in your pocket without a holster. There are plenty of slimline holsters out there. As far as lint building up in your barrel it shouldn't happen in one day and you should be checking your weapon on a fequent basis. I always take out my carry pistol when I have some alone time to wipe it down and check for function. One of the big basics are keep your barrel clear of obstructions and that seems like a hell of an obstruction to me. Sure ARs have plastic caps but as far as plugging something in your barrel and trusting your life to it? No thanks. I'll take a lil lint over a whole wad of foam.

If it really worries you, use a piece of tape over the end, not in the barrel. but yeah, not needed.

Also, do not carry other stuff in that pocket.
Was looking at a pocket pistol a while ago and when I asked the owner where all the scratches came from he told me he carried it in the same pocket as his keys.

Ignoring the fact that using a holster is preferable, I can't help but wonder how dirty your pockets actually are that you feel you might need to plug the barrel. I haven't done the slightest bit of research on the subject, but I have to believe that you'd need to carry for well over a year without doing the slightest bit of maintenance or cleaning on your firearm before the lint and dirt got to be so bad that it adversely affected the operation. You'd also need to never fire it, as the first round would surely blow out whatever crap was in the barrel.

GI's use(d) condoms on their rifle muzzles.

Yup...on the outside it would be a cover. Anything on the inside would be an obstruction. Obstructions are very, very bad and can potentially result in a Darwin Award or perhaps and Honorable Mention. Sometimes, natural selection will take its course regardless of what we may try to say to convince someone something isn't safe to do. I hope this is not one of those occasions. [smile]

Makes sense that an external cover is safest. I like the condom idea since my revolver doesn't have any other type of "safety" [wink]

Please use a pocket holster. In addition to keeping lint out of your gun, the pocket holster protects the trigger guard, reducing the chance of a negligent discharge. The pocket holster also keeps the gun oriented properly with the grip straight up, so that you can get a proper grip when you go to draw it. A pocket holster also disguises the outline of the gun. And pocket holsters are cheap.

There is no upside to carrying in a pocket without a holster and plenty of downsides.

Last edited:
I always felt the most intimidating part of looking at a 45 or other large Cal auto is the end of the muzzle, from the bad guys view. Putting tape over it or a plug in it may cause a hesitation on their part...like, wtf, is it a toy?

I always felt the most intimidating part of looking at a 45 or other large Cal auto is the end of the muzzle, from the bad guys view. Putting tape over it or a plug in it may cause a hesitation on their part...like, wtf, is it a toy?

I have a 'Bang!' flag in the end of my muzzle. Keeps lint out and scares the crapola out of the bad guy...Between that and my blaze orange CCW sash and hat, I am one prepared bad ass...Going to write a book... [cheers]

If you have that much lint in your pocket that it would cause the gun to blow up you've got bigger problems. [laugh]

-Mike

I would roll up a bunch of $100 dollar bills and place them in the barrel. This would serve two purposes 1) it would keep any foreign objects out of the barrel 2)when a bg demands your money you can simply 'shuttle' it over to him by firing the gun. I would aim for his chest pocket :)

sorry - couldn't resist

Makes sense that an external cover is safest. I like the condom idea since my revolver doesn't have any other type of "safety" [wink]

Might as well take it one step further and use a holster if your going to go as far as to put an "external cover" on the gun. It'll keep the lint out of the barrel as well as help keep it out of other equally as important places...

Several of my pocket holsters have an open bottom in the area of the muzzle. I have also seen many IWB holsters that do as well.

If there's enough junk in your pocket to plug the bore of your handgun, then there's enough to get into the action and any spare magazines banging around in there.

Several of my pocket holsters have an open bottom in the area of the muzzle. I have also seen many IWB holsters that do as well.

Please reread:

Please use a pocket holster. In addition to keeping lint out of your gun, the pocket the holster protects the trigger guard, reducing the chance of a negligent discharge. The pocket holster also keeps the gun oriented properly with the grip straight up, so that you can get a proper grip when you go to draw it. A pocket holster also disguises the outline of the gun. And pocket holsters are cheap.

There is no upside to carrying in a pocket without a holster and plenty of downsides.

If you really have enough lint in your pockets to plug the bore between the times that you clean your gun, then you've got other issues.

as an avid paintball player as well, fields require plugs for safety, and someone came out with, the barrel condom. works well, but i agree check it when alone, wipe it down and make sure function is correct.

"Two examples of this type of naked carry would be a snub revolver in a pants or coat pocket,"

Don't do it.

"and a small semi auto with a clip in the waistband."

Don't do it.

Seriously, so you hate yourself so much that you'd court a trip to the ER? Use a proper holster that covers the trigger guard.

Please use a pocket holster. In addition to keeping lint out of your gun, the pocket the holster protects the trigger guard, reducing the chance of a negligent discharge. The pocket holster also keeps the gun oriented properly with the grip straight up, so that you can get a proper grip when you go to draw it. A pocket holster also disguises the outline of the gun. And pocket holsters are cheap.

This.

Back
Top Bottom