So why isnt the SAF here tearing mass a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bellevue’s Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, made a good argument against the Brady Campaign’s call for a change in Washington’s concealed carry law the other day on KING5 News. After all, it was a SAF case that brought a ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Benson Everett Legg that Maryland’s discretionary issue law is unconstitutional."
http://www.examiner.com/article/maryland-ruling-explains-why-wash-shall-issue-law-will-stand

I'm pretty sure mass fits the definition of discretionary issue considering everything depends on the COP's mood the day he gets around to looking over an application. People could get denied because the COP didnt get laid the night before and everyone knows it. They have their precedent so whats the problem?

So now its the NRA and SAF totally ignoring mass?

SAF and Comm2A are backing Hightower v. Boston which in part addresses right-to-carry. This case is well developed and will be argued before the First Circuit tomorrow.

SAF is very active and engaged in Massachusetts. But remember, right-to-carry is not a state by state issue. It's a strategic national endeavor. What happens (or doesn't happen) here in MA is but only a part of the bigger picture.

I have to say getting a CCW through the King County court house (Seattle) was fairly easy.
I walked in, realized I had my pocket knife on me, let the officers know about it at the metal detectors and they held it for me until I was done.
After that, I filled out the application, paid, got finger printed, and was handed my receipt.
30 days later they mailed it to me.

SAF isn't afraid of entering a legal fight. The thing is, there's a lot of battles to be fought. SAF has limited funding and a small base of paying supporters. They pick and choose their battles to get the most bang for the buck.

SAF is worthy of any and all support we can give them. I'm a life member of NRA, but I give whatever ongoing $$ I can to COMM2A, GOAL, and SAF. IMHO, they are the one in the trenches doing most of the fighting. JPFO is a very good organization, but I see them as mostly an educational group. Their primary focus doesn't seem to be litigation and that's where I'm putting my money at this point.

SAF and Comm2A are backing Hightower v. Boston which in part addresses right-to-carry. This case is well developed and will be argued before the First Circuit tomorrow.

SAF is very active and engaged in Massachusetts. But remember, right-to-carry is not a state by state issue. It's a strategic national endeavor. What happens (or doesn't happen) here in MA is but only a part of the bigger picture.

Holy shit. Already?

As Knuckle Dragger said, SAF and Comm2A are backing Hightower, which will be argued at CA1 tomorrow. Also, SAF and Comm2A organized and supported Fletcher v Haas, in which a Massachusetts gun control law(ban on LTCs for legal resident aliens) was found unconstitutional and struck down by a federal court.

Also, Comm2A is supporting various criminal defendants around the state and has brought suit against the abusive practices of bonded warehouses in partnership with NRA-CRDF.

If you had looked in to the issue at all before ranting, you probably would have found at least one of these things.

"Bellevue’s Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, made a good argument against the Brady Campaign’s call for a change in Washington’s concealed carry law the other day on KING5 News. After all, it was a SAF case that brought a ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Benson Everett Legg that Maryland’s discretionary issue law is unconstitutional."
http://www.examiner.com/article/maryland-ruling-explains-why-wash-shall-issue-law-will-stand

I'm pretty sure mass fits the definition of discretionary issue considering everything depends on the COP's mood the day he gets around to looking over an application. People could get denied because the COP didnt get laid the night before and everyone knows it. They have their precedent so whats the problem?

Oh boy [thinking]

"Forgive them Lord for they know not what they say."

I can't wait for the afterparty.

eta, T, any idea if there's a webcast available of tomorrows hearing?

No, there isn't. You can't even bring a cell phone in unless you're a lawyer. I'm sure those of us attending will post a recap.

No, there isn't. You can't even bring a cell phone in unless you're a lawyer. I'm sure those of us attending will post a recap.

Yeah, there's a first amendment right to record the cops in their work environment but not the judges in theirs... [thinking]

ETA: I will start a thread in the morning and then when we get back to civilization those who go can chime in.

Jar, you truly amaze me. How do you find this stuff, like the court audio files? Hope you can find tomorrow's case.

It looks like CA1 does release audio for at least some cases. There's audio from 2 yesterday and 3 today. I couldn't find anything about what they do and don't release. http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/files/audio/audiorss.php

Good. I will update the thread I just created. It's here ->
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...he-First-Circuit-Court-Of-Appeals-June-6-2012

But until tomorrow morning you folks will get an invalid thread link. I will resurrect it in the morning. Jar and others may get to phones much quicker than I will so have at updating that thread in my absence.

I will be there in Spirit! Kick some butt guys! And THANK YOU! I will always find a way to make the monthly vig I pledged even if I have to collect cans on the roadside! [bow]

That akward moment when you realize you should troll around NES more before posting!

Post Heller/McDonald the big boys - SAF,NRA, etc. - are very much in the mode of helping those who help themselves. Going forward they'll put their resources to work in places where strong local organizations can provide the leadership, local knowledge, and leverage to get results.

Comm2A was founded as an independent and autonomous organization. But from the outset we also worked to be the local conduit that would be able to help larger national organizations be effective in MA.

Pretty much but Comm2A does a good job on what they can. But hey, we are in Assachusetts "The only thing we can really count on is death and taxes" --- Benjamin Franklin
I think a more accurate characterization is that we have a deeper hole in this state. More challenges and more carefully crafted challenges are required to get out and stay out.

Even after the worst of the laws are thrown out, issues like castle doctrine, presumption of guilt, breach of peace and general phobic behavior of the public and law enforcement alike will take a culture shift to ultimately cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom