• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So the Fed Gov shuts down tomorrow...

So the Federal Government shuts down tomorrow and I have to ask, What happens to us who are in limbo waiting on our LTC or FID licenses? I know ~800,000 non essential employees are being told to stay home and I don't know who is included and who is not. Any help would be appreciated.

- Joe

They have said that the mililtary, FBI, TSA, air traffic controllers, US customs, border patrol, and some others are essential and will not be affected; maybe they can let the Capitol Police stay home as well as all of the departments of Education, Housing and Urban development, Health, the CDC, Congressional budget office, the capitol cafeterias, the capitol custodial workers all of the congressional staffs and a few others [smile]

You're just gonna have to sit tight and wait for a call sir...

It'll be 7 weeks today. I am getting sick of waiting but it hasn't bothered me too much since I still go to the range with friends about every other week. One just purchased the gun I will be buying when I get my license so I get to shoot that when he is shooting his carry piece. I just wanted to know how this will affect us.

EDIT: I'm in a very green town too.

Last edited:
I don't think that licenses would be affected as they are the problem of the state. However, going to your local gun shop may prove challenging as they call the FBi for NICS --knowing the FBI, that's a support level role manned by civilian workers - its likely to be affected and or deemed "non-essential." For gun sales, trades etc, its probably best go get some FA-10 forms and do some personal sales while its still legal!

So the Federal Government shuts down tomorrow and I have to ask, What happens to us who are in limbo waiting on our LTC or FID licenses? I know ~800,000 non essential employees are being told to stay home and I don't know who is included and who is not. Any help would be appreciated.

- Joe

Nothing. The state does all that crap electronically, and it doesn't involve federal employees directly. Further, I doubt FBI CJIS, etc, will be affected at all. Things like NICS are NOT going to shut down, either. Federal employees who are dubbed as "essential" will not be off duty during a shutdown.

-Mike

While I understand this I can't help but feel like the folks in Langley are dragging their feet on all background checks and such and wondered if this may have been the reason why.

Sorry, but you can't blame the feds on this one. BTW, FBI CJIS is nowhere near Langley. (It's in West Virginia, IIRC). You're thinking of the CIA or some other alphabet.

99% of all MA permit/license delays are based on your PD dragging ass, or in some cases, CHSB (or whatever they call themselves now) or MA DMH dragging ass. Awhile ago CHSB ran out of card stock for the licenses, but I think that issue was resolved.

-Mike

I remember the last time this shit happened- I was in Hawaii and was trying to go see the Pearl Harbor memorials (namely, the Arizona) and the volcano national parks.

Couldn't see shit. I was so pissed off. The only time I ever relied on our crappy government for anything and they came up short. Lesson learned.

Nothing. The state does all that crap electronically, and it doesn't involve federal employees directly. Further, I doubt FBI CJIS, etc, will be affected at all. Things like NICS are NOT going to shut down, either. Federal employees who are dubbed as "essential" will not be off duty during a shutdown.

-Mike

Perfect, this is what I needed to know. Thank you!

Sorry, but you can't blame the feds on this one. BTW, FBI CJIS is nowhere near Langley. (It's in West Virginia, IIRC). You're thinking of the CIA or some other alphabet.

99% of all MA permit/license delays are based on your PD dragging ass, or in some cases, CHSB (or whatever they call themselves now) or MA DMH dragging ass. Awhile ago CHSB ran out of card stock for the licenses, but I think that issue was resolved.

-Mike

Damn, I knew I had it mixed up. lol. But thank you for clarification.

I don't think that licenses would be affected as they are the problem of the state. However, going to your local gun shop may prove challenging as they call the FBi for NICS --knowing the FBI, that's a support level role manned by civilian workers - its likely to be affected and or deemed "non-essential."
!

I really, really doubt this. FBI CJIS has a huge tie in to law enforcement nationally. The systems they run have tie ins to PDs and agencies all over the US.

Not to mention.... what do you think would happen if NICS shut down and the feds told every gun shop in the US they couldn't sell guns.... that would be 110% "go time". Not happening.

-Mike

I wonder about NICS. The executive branch has some discretion, and I would expect the Obama crowd to deem NICS non-essential. If it does go down, I bet an FFL could get away with selling a gun anyway (how can the government restrict exercise of second amendment rights and then fail to provide means to get through the restriction?). But, no FFL would likely want to be the test case. So, I would go buy whatever you want now. Today. Although, any shutdown is likely to be short-lived anyway.

They're screwed if they're going anywhere really soon.

I nearly got screwed on that when .gov shut down under Clinton.

Exactly what I was thinking, my wife is waiting for a renewal. We were thinking a nice warm beach somewhere, soon....but....[thinking]. I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is it's not booked yet.

Back
Top Bottom