So the Fed Gov shuts down tomorrow...

It'll be business as usual. You'll still pay taxes, and FED will do absolutely nothing with it.

One question I have: They are desperately worried that the military won't get their paychecks, but I wonder if the illegal immigrants / welfare recipients will still get theirs seeing how Obama is in campaign mode now.

I'm willing to bet that most people will notice no change at all. Rhode Island shut down for 4 days a while ago. Nothing happened.

If the govt shuts down, it'll still be too big for my tastes.
I highly doubt they're going to forego pay for all the govt employees told to stay home. Scare tactic with no real consequence. The govt exists to support it's own stupid regulations.

Here's a news release from DoD today regarding the possible shutdown.
Deputy Secretary of Defense William J. Lynn III Message to DOD Workforce on Potential Government Shutdown

My favorite part:

Does that mean that people will not get paid during those days...or just that paychecks won't be mailed for those days and those paychecks will just get mailed later on.

It'll be quite an undertaking to calculate the per day salary of each affected govt worker and subtract it from their paycheck.

Does that mean that people will not get paid during those days...or just that paychecks won't be mailed for those days and those paychecks will just get mailed later on.

Fed civvies will likely not get paid during that period if they are non-essential. Whether or not they get paid back the lost time after the shutdown lifts or not, is another story. From what I've heard Congress has the option to do it either way. Another interesting angle is how this would affect the DoD.... some folks are gonna be pissed if they get boned out of a month of pay, although I have no idea how that's working, either.

-Mike

How long will this shutdown last for?

If I was going to make a WAG, "Longer than a week but less than a month". The time depends mainly on how chickens**t the GOP is. (Or for that matter, how long it takes the dems to play along to get along, depending on how you look at things. )

-Mike

If the Democrats had been able to pass a budget when they controlled both houses and the Presidency last October when they should have done this, we wouldn't be in this mess. But shutting down the government is somehow the GOP's fault. Liberal logic at its finest.

And hey, Congress and the President still get paid, so who cares? [rolleyes]

They will all still get paid, at least that is what happened last time. I was a Fed employee at the time, and deemed 'essential' (who knows why). I had to come to work every day that the gov was closed, and yet everybody got paid for the entire time even though they sat home. I was not pleased, although agreed with Clinton on shutting it down to force congress to pass a balanced budget.

If I was going to make a WAG, "Longer than a week but less than a month". The time depends mainly on how chickens**t the GOP is. (Or for that matter, how long it takes the dems to play along to get along, depending on how you look at things. )

-Mike

Last time I believe it was 11 days.

When was the last time there was a gov't shutdown? I saw someone mention Clinton but at that time I was anywhere between two and ten years old and didn't give two squirts of piss about politics, so I don't really remember it. What exactly does a gov't shutdown entail? Is it essentially that all non-essential personnel just stay home and don't get paid?

When was the last time there was a gov't shutdown? I saw someone mention Clinton but at that time I was anywhere between two and ten years old and didn't give two squirts of piss about politics, so I don't really remember it. What exactly does a gov't shutdown entail? Is it essentially that all non-essential personnel just stay home and don't get paid?

Yes, but it will give us time to read threads in their entirety before posting.

[laugh] well, so much for staying home.

uncle sugar says i got to work.... pay, when they get to it. [hmmm]

(i would have gladly stayed home, got like 70something days of leave saved up... )

[laugh] well, so much for staying home.

uncle sugar says i got to work.... pay, when they get to it. [hmmm]

(i would have gladly stayed home, got like 70something days of leave saved up... )

You'd think with that on the balance sheet, they'd be hustling to make people take days off.

So, if you go to a National Park, and it is closed, who is going to stop you from just going in anyhow? Or are they going to pay for someone to guard trees?

So the military will be earning pay, but not receiving it unitl this is settled. Does that mean the .gov can earn my labor, but not receive it until we get paid? I have a feeling we will be having all hands muster tomorrow.

i've been in since 95, i've yet to NOT get paid on time during the last charlie foxtrots.. if it happens now.. its gonna be a first... maybe even go time [wink]

I was in the Army in '95 for the last shut down. They was all like, "You might not get paid." and I was all like, "I've got an M16, pay up beyotch!"

-JR

I was in during the 95 "CF" as well. We were funded for the year that time. This time we are not. If this is not passed, we will be paid through the 8th and then earning pay but not receiving it until funding is passed. We would get it eventually, but not on the 15th and probably not on 01May either. [frown][sad2][crying][angry]

i've been in since 95, i've yet to NOT get paid on time during the last charlie foxtrots.. if it happens now.. its gonna be a first... maybe even go time [wink]

Back
Top Bottom