• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So the Fed Gov shuts down tomorrow...

So the Federal Government shuts down tomorrow and I have to ask, What happens to us who are in limbo waiting on our LTC or FID licenses? I know ~800,000 non essential employees are being told to stay home and I don't know who is included and who is not. Any help would be appreciated.

- Joe

So my wife just asked me, "If they're non-essential, why do we have them in the first place?"

I was in during the 95 "CF" as well. We were funded for the year that time. This time we are not. If this is not passed, we will be paid through the 8th and then earning pay but not receiving it until funding is passed. We would get it eventually, but not on the 15th and probably not on 01May either. [frown][sad2][crying][angry]

well, for bills: remember the service member's relief act... that's all i have to offer.

anything else is up to the individual... i have my own plan... [devil2]

Really? I won't be getting paid until a budget passes, but I'm obligated to show up and work.

Not only that, but those who get furloughed will get back pay for sitting at home. At least they did last time from talking to older feds. So I have to show up, not get paid, get back pay who knows when (taxed at the higher rate due to lump sum) The 'unessentials' get a paid holiday.

If we manage to survive a week with the government shut down then I expect we can cut next year's budget by 1/52. Call it 2%.

If we make a whole month with the shutdown, cut the budget by 1/12. Heck, I'm feeling generous tonight. Make it 10%.

One question comes to mind: Why are there ~800.000 non essential Gov't employees in the first place ?
Now that they know about this number, why don't they start cutting the fat right there ?

there are 538 elected ones in Washington DC we could do without, make that 540 including BO and Biden.

Not only that, but those who get furloughed will get back pay for sitting at home. At least they did last time from talking to older feds. So I have to show up, not get paid, get back pay who knows when (taxed at the higher rate due to lump sum) The 'unessentials' get a paid holiday.

so, if you will get paid anyways, then whats the point of shutting down?

One question comes to mind: Why are there ~800.000 non essential Gov't employees in the first place ?
Now that they know about this number, why don't they start cutting the fat right there ?

Because they need people to answer calls, delete Emails, get coffee and donuts.
The guy that signs your C&R is probably considered a non-essential.

I have not, so far, noticed anything different from the usual Friday morning.

(although upon having now had my cofee and woken up a bit, I suppose that makes sense)

Last edited:
so, if you will get paid anyways, then whats the point of shutting down?

The shut down has nothing to do with saving money. It is shutting down because there is no money appropriated to run the govt. Yes, it will wind up costing money in the long run, but it will not be the EOTWAWKI.

Really? I won't be getting paid until a budget passes, but I'm obligated to show up and work.

Really? That's odd. The Navy people that my wife works with are being required to turn in all their laptops, cell phones, CrackBerries, etc, so that they CANNOT do any work - apparently, doing work while the fed gov is shut down is a criminal offense. Hence, the turn in. Mind you, this is a group that works on defense project, too... so apparently, they're not "essential".

I'm willing to bet that most people will notice no change at all.

Depends on whether those assistance checks keep going out or not.

So my wife just asked me, "If they're non-essential, why do we have them in the first place?"

[rofl2] That woman is one smart lady; hold on to her!

I bet if the people that needed to actually hash out the budget were unpaid until they got their acts together, then we wouldn't be here. Then again, I'm also for putting all elected officials on a 'performance' plan where their salaries are directly proportional to their approval ratings. That would get them "working for the people"....

I never understood why they called them non essential. Bad terminology on their part.

"Essential" probably has to do with immediate consequences to health and safety, meaning hospitals, police, fire, etc, that happen to belong to the federal government. There are plenty of government functions that are essential to a modern civilization that can stand to take a week off, like the mint, and CDC. And there are some that really aren't necessary but which everyone wants, like the federal parks.

I bet NICS will be down. I'm wondering about efile.

You don't? You whisk some milk in with the egg before dipping the bread in!

I suppose you don't put milk in your scrambled eggs either, huh?

Milk makes eggs rubbery and flat. You add water to eggs and the steam makes them light and fluffy.

No, they got the terminology completely right. Think about it.

No they just got the people mixed up...the essential ones are the park rangers and people that do service work. The non essential ones are the 540 or so a**h***s who make the laws and do nothing but waste time and money doing nothing for us.

We have enough laws on the books already...send them home and you wouldn't notice a difference......

Back
Top Bottom