So many people don't keep the brass..

Adam_MA said:
UPS tracking tells me that my new press and other accessories I ordered should be here tomorrow.

Well, I got home last night and the press and accessories I ordered were there waiting for me. I got the press setup all but the powder measure for now. I can't figure out how the linkage is supposed to actuate the powder measure. I thought it a good time to stop messing with it, so I didn't set it up wrong... I'll give it another shot today after work. Now, all I need is some brass!

Adam

That's sweet. I was so excited when I first set up my press. And when you shoot your first run, you're going to be happy and nervous at the same time.

Eveyone that feeds, you'll be thinking...did I double powder? Did I forget the powder?

Just go slow and don't stress. I still don't crank through them. I would rahter be right then have 500 where half were wrong in some way.

And the first few times, I check the powder after every third or so just to make sure that I have the right weight. Then I don't worry for about every 200 or so. And if you want, weigh the final rounds every so often. They should all be around thesame weight when finished. There will be difference between brass and heads. But they should be close. If ones way up or down, then you know that you double loaded it, or missed the powder.

Just things that I would do when I first started relaoding. At least until I got the hang of it and was comfortable with what I was doing.

Cool.. Thanks for the tips. I was thinking that for my first run I would only do 50 rounds. That way I can make sure I am doing it right and be able to range test them before going ahead and wasting materials.

Adam

Adam, that would be smart. Do you have a loading block, yet? If you bought a Dillon, this is irrelevant, but, I throw my powder charges then put my cases in a loading block. Then I check them all at the same time. Easy to tell if you missed one, or doubled one.

Blowing up a gun sucks. DAMHIK.

The GOOD NEWS was all I had to replace was a bolt, stock and magazine. $200+ ER bill, though, to get the metal out of my hand (from the mag).

I didn't get a loading block, but I got 10 of the loading boxes. I figured that the first 50 rounds I do, will be using the single load procedure. I will do it that way so I can double check all my rounds, before moving on to using the press as a progressive. I didn't go for the Dillon mainly because of the cost. I did go for the Lee press because at 1/3 the price it will give me the ability to get into reloading inexpensively and make sure it is something I will want to continue to do. It has a great warranty, so if it does malfunction I should be covered. I know Dillon and RCBS are better brands, but the budget only allowed for the Lee (at least for now) and all the accessories I needed to buy to get me up and running.

Lets see...
I got,
Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press
Lee Case Collator Pro 1000
Frankford Arsenal Plastic Ammo Boxes
Lee Safety Powder Scale
Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner
Lee Chamfer Tool
Frankford Arsenal Stainless Steel Dial Caliper Standard
Powder
Primers
Bullets
Lyman reloading manual

Now all I need is my brass
I still have the winning bid on the brass at ebay <knock on wood> and if it stays where it is, that will be $20.00 for 1000 with $7.00 next day shipping....

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I did go for the Lee press because at 1/3 the price it will give me the ability to get into reloading inexpensively and make sure it is something I will want to continue to do. It has a great warranty, so if it does malfunction I should be covered. I know Dillon and RCBS are better brands, but the budget only allowed for the Lee (at least for now) and all the accessories I needed to buy to get me up and running.

Lets see...
I got,
Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press
Lee Case Collator Pro 1000

Adam, please let me know how you like the press once you get started; I have a Lee 1000 that a friend gave me which I haven't had the time to set up yet. I used to use an RCBS Rockchucker years ago, but haven't reloaded since the 80's. But I'm interested in your thoughts on the Lee 1000; I haven't decided whether to put it on eBay or put it in service.

Ross

I'm just echoing the "take you time" while loading Adam. If you're not sure how much powder you put in a casing - dump it out and do it again. Go slow. It's also easy to "zone" out while you're loading, so try not to do that. You can get in to a rythem and lose track of where you are. It's very relaxing. :D

Lynne said:
I'm just echoing the "take you time" while loading Adam. If you're not sure how much powder you put in a casing - dump it out and do it again. Go slow. It's also easy to "zone" out while you're loading, so try not to do that. You can get in to a rythem and lose track of where you are. It's very relaxing. :D

Ive done that. Or gotten a call or something. So I will take all the casings out, check for primer, dump the powder, and walk them all from the stage after sizing/deprimer. I figure if they have a new primer, they were sized, being that it sizes them before the new primer.

Then start all over again. And I know that one thing I think new reloaders don't think about with a progressive. When you change the grains on the powder mesure. Dump the first couple of dumps back into the hopper.

When you change the measure, the powder that was in the bar, is from the old mesurment. So I will cycle a couple before I weigh the powder again. Other wise you will change it, weigh it and it will be the same. Then you will change it again, and it will be off and by the time that you figure out what's going on, you'll be going crazy trying to figure out why you can't get it right.

Not that I know anything about that. :D

C-pher said:
And I know that one thing I think new reloaders don't think about with a progressive. When you change the grains on the powder mesure. Dump the first couple of dumps back into the hopper.

Do it with ANY measure, and especially AFTER yo fill it, even if you DON'T make changes. Trust me on this, filling the measure chages the density of the powder slightly, making it a little more dense.

Thanks for the tips. I actually found a great site about the Lee Pro 1000. The author stresses these things a couple of times. He says..

"Throw several charges before starting. It takes a few charges for the powder measure to settle down immediately after opening the shutoff valve. I find that the first couple charges are usually high, but after that the measure is very consistent. After filling the hopper, I run 3-5 cases through the measure and dump the contents back into the hopper.

Weigh your first several charges. Then I start loading, but measure the next 5 charges on a scale to insure their consistency."

Adam

Thanks, Adam.

Heck, maybe I will dig out the press and mount it... I'm off on disability for the next two months, so I gotta find something to do... besides job hunt, that is.

I will also check (after I start loading) every 6th or 7th one while loading, just to make sure it stays consistant. I'm paranoid about squib loads, so I sometimes go a bit over board, but better that than sorry.

Ok... I won the brass... I actually didn't get the ones that I originally bid on, because someone pumped up the bid at the last minute... I did however find a great deal and won that one.. I got notification from the seller that he had shipped it with USPS from NC so we'll see how long it takes to get here.

On a side note, I finished getting my press setup last night I put the correct measure on the powder dispenser and got the linkage all connected. I am waiting now on my brass so I can do a couple of test runs to see how accurate the powder measure is. I sure wish I would have saved at least a couple pieces of brass from the last time I went to the range...

God I can't wait to start using it...

Adam

Got the rest of my accessories last night. Scale, Caliper, Powder pocket cleaner...

Just need that damn brass!

If it's not here by tomorrow, I will be going to the range and send the rest of my 45's down range so I can keep the brass.

WOW I'm one impatient bastard! :D

Adam

Lynne said:
Adam_MA said:
I just placed a bid for some brass on ebay. It's 1000 45ACP brass "Processed, Decaped, Primer pockets reamed ( NO MILITARY CRIMP ), Checked for cracks, and FULL LENGTH SIZED ~ NO BULGED CASES"

We'll see

Adam

Adam, when does the bidding end? If you want some tips on bidding, email me.

Do I detect a fellow sniper?

!

Cross-X said:
Lynne said:
Adam_MA said:
I just placed a bid for some brass on ebay. It's 1000 45ACP brass "Processed, Decaped, Primer pockets reamed ( NO MILITARY CRIMP ), Checked for cracks, and FULL LENGTH SIZED ~ NO BULGED CASES"

We'll see

Adam

!

Sniping with .45? [shock]

Tony,

No, auction sniping!

I successfully sniped 5 bids on eBay over the past month!

[The technique we use is much akin to a military sniper! [twisted] ]

TonyD said:
Cross-X said:
Lynne said:
Adam_MA said:

We'll see

Adam

Not at all, Tony, I am talking about using an EBay auction sniper program. The one I use allows me to enter my bid in the last few seconds before the auction ends.

I only bid in the last few seconds.

I have all but stolen many auctions this way.

Check it out -- www.auctionsniper.com

!

Sniping with .45? [shock]

Back
Top Bottom