• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle brass question

peterk123

NES Member
Do you guys keep the once fired seperate, from the twice, and that from the third and so on? Or is that just overkill?

I noticed quite a diiference between each manufacturer today so the wear and tear and thinning of the brass over time got me thinking.

I seperate by firing as well as rifle but I’m a little OCD. Brass will work hardened after every firing so if your not annealing I’d say it’s even more important to keep track of how many firings that way when you start to see signs of degradation you can cull those ones.

Do you guys keep the once fired seperate, from the twice, and that from the third and so on? Or is that just overkill?

I noticed quite a diiference between each manufacturer today so the wear and tear and thinning of the brass over time got me thinking.
That's a 'best practice'. I think most of us reloading for matches keep separate batches according to how many times fired. Once the brass starts showing problems that batch goes to the plinking only bin.

That's a 'best practice'. I think most of us reloading for matches keep separate batches according to how many times fired. Once the brass starts showing problems that batch goes to the plinking only bin.
Can you tell I'm slowly but surely sucking myself down the rifle reloading rabbit hole?

I keep brass separated by number of firings but it’s easy enough for me since I don’t shoot/reload a ton of rifle calibers.

Yup, not overkill.

Can you tell I'm slowly but surely sucking myself down the rifle reloading rabbit hole?
The suck cannot be overcome just enjoy the ride and open your wallet!

Like you noticed every brand of brass can vary quite significantly internally and externally. Keep in mind this will also affect charge weights and pressure. Even different lots from same manufacture can vary significantly (depending on brand).

I do separate by number of firings and from which gun they were fired for rifle brass. Needless to say, I have a lot of baggies with a lot of notes inside of them.

Back
Top Bottom