So many people don't keep the brass..

I was talking to a co-worker. He's going over to a buddy's house that belongs to his club to pick up some brass. They belong to Hanson.

Anyway, the other guy is retired and goes every morning over to the club and walks the range picking up brass.

Every so often my friend here at work will get a call from this man saying that he's got buckets of brass and if he wants some, come and get it.

I guess that there was a police shoot there the other day and he picked up three 5 gallon buckets of .45 brass after they left.

Man, everyone at my club must reload because everyone picks up thier brass when they leave. And unless someone else is beating me too it. I don't find any when I'm there looking around.

But, I'm thinking that when and if I retire, I might just have to do the same thing. Who knows.

That or find me a friend like that. :D

I do say, my co-worker is always giving me .38 brass and sometimes some .45. So I don't really complain. But it just got me to thinking about how many people just don't keep thier brass.

Oh, and on a side note. All the brass that he doesn't reload, the .22, .40, etc he turned in two 50 gallon drums of Brass and made about 1500 bucks for the scrap.

That alone isn't that bad of an idea.

At Braintree R&P there are some old-timers who go thru the place a few times/day picking up all the brass they find. I suspect that they sell it as I never see these guys with a gun in their hand.

At Tyngsboro they have the same situation. We had that 4-day class (with 21 shooters), each of us shooting ~800 rds (mostly 45, with some 9 & 40). The heat and humidity was so oppressive that we didn't bother picking anything up the first 2-3 days. We came in the following day at ~0830 and found the place picked clean as a whistle! Normally a number of us would have picked up the brass, but I know that I was so wiped out after the class that I just didn't bother.

Nickle said:
Adam_MA is looking for some 45 ACP Brass. Can you help him out? It'd probably be cheaper than I can do.

He said that the guy is only giving him about ~ 1000 rounds this time because he's sharing it with several guys at the club. So he's not going to have any extra at the moment.

Brass Pickup

Our range in NH mandates that the shooters pick up their brass after the session is over. It either goers home with them, or into range buckets. If anyone wants to go throught the buckets, that's fine. I usually give them a look as I'm always looking for 45ACP, 38 Special and 308. I'll take certain 223 (LC).

You can never have enough brass.

In June, I spent a week at the Barnstable Munincipal Range. From the looks of it, no one picks up the brass. We had to push it around with our feet to get a good footing and it's even below the gravel surface.
Someone could make a haul if they had access.

JonJ said:
In June, I spent a week at the Barnstable Munincipal Range. From the looks of it, no one picks up the brass. We had to push it around with our feet to get a good footing and it's even below the gravel surface.

Sounds like a "road trip" is in order? [twisted]

My membership at the Woburn Sportsman Association will be official on Thursday the 11th, so I think after that I will have the ability to pick up some brass when I go shooting.

On a side note, UPS tracking tells me that my new press and other accessories I ordered should be here tomorrow. This past weekend I went to Four Seasons and had a great talk with a gentleman there named Eddie. Eddie is an avid reloader and helped me out a great deal. He hooked me up with the correct primers, bullets, powder, and the new Lyman reloading manual.
Can't wait to get it setup!

Adam

LenS said:
JonJ said:

Sounds like a "road trip" is in order? [twisted]
If we can get someone with a key it would.
I know we left maybe 5K .40 and maybe 2k .223

Brass

I was the only one who ever had an interest in the brass left at out police range back in NJ. We had about 12 towns using the range. Each town had approx. 40 to 80 officers to qualify. We had over four 55 gallon drums filled with once fired brass. Most was 9mm with 40S&W being plentyfull. I was able to get about 400 45ACP. I still have about 40 lbs. of once fired 9mm I have to get rid off because I'll never reload it. One of these days I'll have to take it to the scrape yard....if I ever get the energy... [oops]

I just placed a bid for some brass on ebay. It's 1000 45ACP brass "Processed, Decaped, Primer pockets reamed ( NO MILITARY CRIMP ), Checked for cracks, and FULL LENGTH SIZED ~ NO BULGED CASES"

We'll see

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I just placed a bid for some brass on ebay. It's 1000 45ACP brass "Processed, Decaped, Primer pockets reamed ( NO MILITARY CRIMP ), Checked for cracks, and FULL LENGTH SIZED ~ NO BULGED CASES"

We'll see

Adam

Adam, when does the bidding end? If you want some tips on bidding, email me.

I recommend eSnipe. And $20 per 1000 is what I usually did. Takes a while to win sometimes, but it can be done. Also look into larger quantities, there is usually less competition.

Nickle said:
Damn, I sure don't type well today. Yes, per 1000. I fixed it already.

Of course, I can sell NEW brass for $20 per 100 and make big bucks.

Indeed, I pay Wally World $20/100 for new brass (WW) but I have to empty the cases (fire them) first! [wink]

Here's an ad I found today. Helps a good cause too.

The Southern Chester County Youth Shooting League is a nonprofit organization dedicated to instructing the youth of our area in the safe and responsible use of firearms. As a fund raiser, we are offering cleaned and polished pistol brass. We currently have:

Caliber / Quantity / Cost per Bag

.380 Auto 250/bag $ 3.50

9 mm 250/bag $ 4.00
.38 Spec 250/bag $ 5.00
.357 SIG 250/bag $ 5.00
.357 Mag 250/bag $ 6.00
.40 S&W 250/bag $ 4.00
.44 Rem Mag 250/bag $ 8.00
.45 ACP 250/bag $ 7.00

We can ship via USPS Flat Rate at $7.70 per box. We can get 2,000 .45 ACP cases per box or 3,000 9 mm cases per box. This is the most economical way to ship. However, we would be happy to ship you one bag of 250 cases for actual shipping costs. All monies go directly toward supporting our shooting programs. Check our web site at

http://members.fortunecity.com/sccysl or email us at [email protected] for further details.

Adam, that would be my first choice, if I were in your shoes. The price can be beat by a little bit, but the shipping in this case is less than what anybody will normally charge you through eBay, so $ wise, it's a wash.

Buying here helps younger shooters, and that's never a bad thing.

Nickle said:
Adam, that would be my first choice, if I were in your shoes. The price can be beat by a little bit, but the shipping in this case is less than what anybody will normally charge you through eBay, so $ wise, it's a wash.

The kids, that's the best part.
As for the shipping, it's too bad that most people don't know or take advantage of the flat rates the USPS have.

JonJ said:
Nickle said:

The kids, that's the best part.
As for the shipping, it's too bad that most people don't know or take advantage of the flat rates the USPS have.

So... what you're saying here, guys, is IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!

Never thought I'd see that phrase seriously on this board... and agree with it!
shocked.gif

Ross

Back
Top Bottom