So do you tell a LEO at a traffic stop if you're carrying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Ive been pulled over twice while I had firearms in my car. Both times I wasn't carrying. I had 6 firearms all properly stored with about 700+ rounds in my trunk. Both times the officer didn't ask so I wasn't going to say anything in fear of being cuffed and stuffed for awhile while he finds out I'm legal. I must say the officers were very nice and gave me warnings both times.

give respect, get respect! i'm glad to see it works.

At my LTC course I was recommended to say the following:

Officer, I would like to mention that I have a valid Massachusetts LTC Class A no restriction and I have a loaded(unloaded) gun(s) on me

I've found success with the following alternative:

Yeah, I got my gatt, an I ain't afraid to pop yo ass. Why you hassling me, po?

[rofl] [rofl]

I'll bet.

J luv - I would have loved to have seen that picture. [laugh]

Let's see... "Officer, you probably aren't going to believe me, but let me start by saying I have a Class A..." [laugh]

At my LTC course I was recommended to say the following:

Officer, I would like to mention that I have a valid Massachusetts LTC Class A no restriction and I have a loaded(unloaded) gun(s) on me

I've heard from some friends that took courses, that the instructors recommend you to disclose you have weapons when your stopped......I'm not sure why......maybe cause many of those that teach are officers or something.

I understand doing that out of respect, and would have no problem doing that if I felt, 100% of the officers would just check my LTC and move on...but I don't think thats the case. I'm sure some would be fine with it, but others may crawl up your butt for no good reason, it's legal to carry.

If asked to exit the vehicle I would then let him know I'm armed. As in Jdubois example where he gets out of his vehicle, his pants fall down and all sorts of guns fall out...that could look bad.......

If it's a standard traffic stop with me staying in the vehicle, there's really no reason to tell him, your just inviting a PIA......IMHO. There is no law that says you have to disclose.....

I like that. A lot. I will forget it under stress, so I'm going to laminate a card with that on it to read if I get pulled over under similar circumstances.

Here's a copy I made up in case others want to print and laminate:
read.jpg

Timber and I were hoping to be pulled over on the way to the NH NES shoot in Raymond just so we could list everything to the LEO.

That's an answer to the old question. The new question is, "What do you tell a LEO when there are so many guns carried that they're sticking out every which way and the weight is pulling your pants down?" and if they ask what kind of guns you have, do you say "a Webley MkVI, an Enfield No2 Mk1, a CZ 52 & 82, a nagant 1895, and a Colt 1908", or do you just say, "um, handguns?"[laugh]

Be vewy,vewy quiet, I am huntin a waskily wabbit.....heheheheheh.[smile]

Saying that won't get you arrested, but I hear it will get you a nice coat with sewn in hands and a really hard to get zipper in the back. They will take your guns, but on the bright side, you'll get to meet some new friends, like Napolean, who I thought would be taller, some guy who thinks he is Moses and tries to part the water in his toilet bowl by yelling " Let my fecal Go", Kinda creepy but hey to each their own, and then their is a guy who tells you the secret word of the day he saw in his breakfest bowl, hate to tell him that eventually the Scrabble game will get soggy, and he should eat it right away[wink].

Oh then their is the weird guy who keeps saying his rice crispies are talking to him, but they, the rice crispies that is, told you they are not talking to him anymore, so you know he is lying[shocked]. Oh, oh, oh, then theirs the guy who thinks he's Clark Gable, he keeps telling the mop that he frankly doesn't give a damn anymore, ever since the broom walked out on him years ago[crying].
Wouldn't you give up your guns to have freinds like that, come on now be honest?. [rofl][rofl]

I know, I know, I'll get beaten for bringing up that subject again [laugh]

Since I've just managed to get my safe moved over to my new place, I went to my dad's place this evening to pick up some of my handguns that I'd stored with him. When I got there I realized all I had was a pickup truck and nothing to lock the handguns up in. So I drove away from there with six guns strapped about my waist and/or stuffed in various pockets and 3+ pounds of black powder sitting on the seat next to me, and I'm thinking, "oh, please, please don't get pulled over. I don't know how I'd explain this one quickly enough to keep the officer from freaking out."

I made it home without incident, though when I got there my wife gave me a WTF? look and my boy said, "Daddy, why you got too many guns? Your funny."

Since you asked again, I'll say it again: Any cop should ASSUME you are armed and act accordingly (in a respectfull way until 'you' prove otherwise). I don't ask since I, as previously stated, assume you are armed.

I was rear-ended a while back and had a couple of shotguns in the trunk. I told the officer I wanted to check out the damage and just to warn you there are firearms in the trunk. He asked if i had a permit and told him yes (never asked to see it). He later thanked me for letting him know.

I believe it's Montana that passed a law several years back requiring a person with a firearm within the vehicle to notify an approaching police officer of the presence of a gun prior to the officer reaching the vehicle.

Yes, what a wonderful way to start a traffic stop. Roll down your windown and yell to the cop, "I've got a gun!"

Personally, in MA and NH, you are under no obligation to disclose the presence of a firearm to a police officer unless asked, and I wouldn't elevate his situational threat level by telling him if he doesn't ask. I don't believe you are actually required to inform that officer if he asked, but you'll likely get a better result from the officer if he does.

My father was a police officer for 26 years and I had the liberty of watching some of his training and discussing things with him. During a traffic stop, a lot of items are at the disgression of the officer: How long the stop will last, if you recieve a ticket, what the ticket will be for (if there are multiple infractions) so it's often best to try and put the officer at ease. If you try to put the officer in his place and you've done ANYTHING wrong, he's much more likely to "stick it to you"

Here are some hints:

Be considerate of the officer when you choose a location to pull over. Pulling over at a narrow part of a street, blocking a driveway or parking lot or (one of the biggest offenses) on an ON or OFF ramp makes the situation more dangerous for the officer and will likely annoy the officer, you're more likely to get a ticket if you pull into an inconvient location.

Roll down your window and get your driver's licence and registration ready before he gets to the car. You both know that he's going to ask for it, so things will likely go smoother if you have it ready.

I'm not sure about MA law but in NH you are REQUIRED to present ID to a requesting officer. NH Supreme Court has ruled that a driver's licence is the property of the state issued into an individual's care and thus requesting a driver's licence is not a search. This also means they can run tests on a licence without a warrant or permission (Two specific cases were a Mayor's Wife who refused to hand over her license and a man who's license tested positive for traces of cocaine as he'd used it to cut lines with)

Once you have those ready, place them visibly on the passenger seat and return your hands to 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the steering wheel. Officers are taught "95% of threats come from a person's hands, keep a person's hands in plain sight" Hiding your hands, even one of them, increases an officer's threat level.

Watch the officer in your rear view mirror as he approaches, this keeps you looking ahead while you monitor the officer's approach. Again, if you turn to watch the officer, lean out the window or (huge no-no) get out of the car, you will place the officer in an increased threat situation.

When the officer reaches the window, be polite and wait for him to ask for your license and registration. I use sir, ma'am or officer, but that's my nature. An aggressive, disrespectful or argumentative response will aggrivate the officer and likely increase your chances of getting a ticket AND slow down the process.

I like to politely ask the officer why I was stopped, "Hello officer, may I ask why you stopped me?" if they don't immedately ask, "Do you know why I stopped you?" Do NOT ask the officer, "Why the hell did you stop me?"

If you are asked to step out of your car, you do have the RIGHT to ask for a second officer of your sex to be present. Keep in mind this will normally annoy the officer AND lengthen the process while you both wait for a second officer to arrive.

If an officer asks to search your car, you again have the RIGHT to refuse to give permission. If he believes he has probable cause, he can request a warrant - He has you stopped and has access to his radio. He has the oppertunity to call dispatch to request a warrant and there is no risk of evidence being distroyed while he waits for a warrant (since he is there watching) This will make the stop take MUCH longer and you will almost ALWAYS get a ticket for the original offense if you refuse permission for a search.

All this being said, when I'm pulled over, I approach an officer as an advisary - He is typically looking for illegal activity to get you in trouble for, however I do not act advisarial. Even if an officer is looking to get you in trouble, it's usually not for the purpose of getting you in trouble. Most officers are honestly trying to serve their communities.

I always keep an extra dozen donuts in my car. If the conversation starts to go the wrong way I offer the LEO a donut.
ie Policeman: "Sir, is that a weapon under your shirt?"
Me: "No officer. I think I've been eating too many donuts. Speaking of donuts I just happen to have a dozen right here. Would you like some?"
Policeman: "Do you have any chocolate frosted with sprinkles? I'll take one of those. You have a nice day now sir."

My dad used to be a cop, and here is the advice he gave me when pulled over:

When you get the lights, turn your hazards on immediately to indicate that you are going to pull over. Don't pull over haphazardly, take your time and find a good safe spot that won't cause an accident, i.e. half way up a hill and not right around a corner.

Turn the radio off. Cops don't want to hear your music.

Put your cigarette out.

Turn the wheels to the curb, kill the engine, put the keys on the dashboard.

Roll your windows down and turn your cabin light on if it's night time so the cop can easily see into the car.

Don't take off the seatbelt unless you want to be cited for that, keep your hands on the steering wheel, don't reach for license or registration until asked.

Tell your passengers to keep thier hands in thier laps and don't make any sudden movements.

Honest answers will take you far. Answer with yes sir/no sir while maintaining eye contact. If asked "Do you know why I stopped you?" providing the correct answer is key. If asked "What the $^&*% is wrong with you?" I answer "I don't make excuses sir."

To answer the op's question, instead of blurting out "I have a gun" and maybe giving the officer something to worry about, I would hand over my LTC with my ID when asked. I have nothing to hide, and like I said, honesty is key. If you follow the above, you're not going to 'laid out' for lawfully carrying a firearm.

Honesty is key. Don't &*($ with the po-lice.

Had a incidence a few years back when running the tow truck at night. Was crawling under to hook up a drug impound car and officer noticed weapon on hip. He asked if I had a permit which I handed him and also asked to check serial # of weapon. Guess he wanted to see if my gun was something I found under a seat in another impound. Asked me why I was carrying and I told him I didn't like to work alone at night. Shook his head and left.

I believe it's Montana that passed a law several years back requiring a person with a firearm within the vehicle to notify an approaching police officer of the presence of a gun prior to the officer reaching the vehicle.

Yes, what a wonderful way to start a traffic stop. Roll down your windown and yell to the cop, "I've got a gun!"

Personally, in MA and NH, you are under no obligation to disclose the presence of a firearm to a police officer unless asked, and I wouldn't elevate his situational threat level by telling him if he doesn't ask. I don't believe you are actually required to inform that officer if he asked, but you'll likely get a better result from the officer if he does.

My father was a police officer for 26 years and I had the liberty of watching some of his training and discussing things with him. During a traffic stop, a lot of items are at the disgression of the officer: How long the stop will last, if you recieve a ticket, what the ticket will be for (if there are multiple infractions) so it's often best to try and put the officer at ease. If you try to put the officer in his place and you've done ANYTHING wrong, he's much more likely to "stick it to you"

Here are some hints:

Be considerate of the officer when you choose a location to pull over. Pulling over at a narrow part of a street, blocking a driveway or parking lot or (one of the biggest offenses) on an ON or OFF ramp makes the situation more dangerous for the officer and will likely annoy the officer, you're more likely to get a ticket if you pull into an inconvient location.

Roll down your window and get your driver's licence and registration ready before he gets to the car. You both know that he's going to ask for it, so things will likely go smoother if you have it ready.

I'm not sure about MA law but in NH you are REQUIRED to present ID to a requesting officer. NH Supreme Court has ruled that a driver's licence is the property of the state issued into an individual's care and thus requesting a driver's licence is not a search. This also means they can run tests on a licence without a warrant or permission (Two specific cases were a Mayor's Wife who refused to hand over her license and a man who's license tested positive for traces of cocaine as he'd used it to cut lines with)

Once you have those ready, place them visibly on the passenger seat and return your hands to 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the steering wheel. Officers are taught "95% of threats come from a person's hands, keep a person's hands in plain sight" Hiding your hands, even one of them, increases an officer's threat level.

Watch the officer in your rear view mirror as he approaches, this keeps you looking ahead while you monitor the officer's approach. Again, if you turn to watch the officer, lean out the window or (huge no-no) get out of the car, you will place the officer in an increased threat situation.

When the officer reaches the window, be polite and wait for him to ask for your license and registration. I use sir, ma'am or officer, but that's my nature. An aggressive, disrespectful or argumentative response will aggrivate the officer and likely increase your chances of getting a ticket AND slow down the process.

I like to politely ask the officer why I was stopped, "Hello officer, may I ask why you stopped me?" if they don't immedately ask, "Do you know why I stopped you?" Do NOT ask the officer, "Why the hell did you stop me?"

If you are asked to step out of your car, you do have the RIGHT to ask for a second officer of your sex to be present. Keep in mind this will normally annoy the officer AND lengthen the process while you both wait for a second officer to arrive.

If an officer asks to search your car, you again have the RIGHT to refuse to give permission. If he believes he has probable cause, he can request a warrant - He has you stopped and has access to his radio. He has the oppertunity to call dispatch to request a warrant and there is no risk of evidence being distroyed while he waits for a warrant (since he is there watching) This will make the stop take MUCH longer and you will almost ALWAYS get a ticket for the original offense if you refuse permission for a search.

All this being said, when I'm pulled over, I approach an officer as an advisary - He is typically looking for illegal activity to get you in trouble for, however I do not act advisarial. Even if an officer is looking to get you in trouble, it's usually not for the purpose of getting you in trouble. Most officers are honestly trying to serve their communities.

Very well said, great write up, but, and I am not trying to kick you in the nuggets here[wink], but did you read the first post[wink], see who posted the question[shocked], and then did you also see the OP's status[smile], he's a MOD [shocked][laugh], you don't get to be a MOD unless you are somewhat well versed in having great knowledge about guns and the law as it pertains ti the state. [laugh]. Lets put it this way, he suckered us all, and now he is laughing about it, ain't he just a funny, funny man. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Very well said, great write up, but, and I am not trying to kick you in the nuggets here[wink], but did you read the first post[wink], see who posted the question[shocked], and then did you also see the OP's status[smile], he's a MOD [shocked][laugh],
Sarcasm - when Al Gore invented the internet, he didn't create a way to express it... [laugh]

Here are some hints:

I'd agree with all of this except to be rummaging for the registration in the glove box. That would make me a little jumpy at night......

FWIW: I keep my insurance and registration on a clip on the driver's sun shade thingy.

Actually, I'm rubbing my eyes in disbelief that we're still getting serious replies to the title of the thread [shocked]

I'm a little confused now.... were you not serious about the things to say when pulled over? The saying that I laminated to put in my wallet??????? Tell me I didn't just waste 1/2 a day on that!!!

I'm a little confused now.... were you not serious about the things to say when pulled over? The saying that I laminated to put in my wallet??????? Tell me I didn't just waste 1/2 a day on that!!!

You are not the only one... [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom