• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson Shoots And Misses

Disappointing revenue forecast has gunmaker nostalgic for the depths of the recession.

The deep economic recession had Americans sticking to their guns, literally, as firearm sales shot up in 2009, increasing more than 23% according to one analyst. But so far in 2010, it seems that far fewer citizens are building bunkers, stockpiling canned goods and packing heat.

Shares of Smith & Wesson (SWHC) plunged 12.5% Friday to $4.14, after the gun manufacturer gave a slimmer outlook for its fourth-quarter sales than Wall Street expected. The company forecasts a revenue of $97 million to $101 million -- $81 million to $84 million in firearm sales. That comes up short of the $103 million expected by analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.

Full article HERE

Do you remember back just a couple of years ago when S&W's mangement issued glowing company reports and got the stock to spike almost over night to $22 a share from $2.00 and then they all sold their stock at once and it dropped back to $2.00..

This might be a good time to buy stock..

Last edited:
The article goes on to say that inventory is up as demand returns to more normal levels, but a major contributor to the decreased estimates is the poorer than expected performance of a recently acquired subsidiary.

It cautions investors to wait for improved performance by the sub (USR) before buying more shares of Smith & Wesson.

I think they're just banking on Obama to open his mouth again regarding another AWB. Why should they spend any money when their greatest salesman helps them for free?

What other gun / ammo companies are publicly traded? I've invested plenty in their products, may as well have a little bit of the company as well...

What other gun / ammo companies are publicly traded? I've invested plenty in their products, may as well have a little bit of the company as well...

There are very few that are publicly traded. The ones I know of are:

Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc. - (RGR) on the NYSE
Smith & Wesson - (SWHC) on NASDAQ
Olin Corp. (Winchester) - (OLN) on NYSE
Taurus International Mfg., Inc. - (SAO:FJTA4) on Brazilian stock exchange.
Alliant Techsystems Inc. - (ATK) on the NYSE

Last edited:
I think gun sales are down because ammo prices are so high. I'd like to make a few new acquisitions but find myself spending boatloads of money on ammo. I also find myself looking at new guns in the same caliber as the ones I already own so that I don't have to stock many different calibers and if the shtf most of my guns will eat the same ammo

ETA: Any one know how ammo sales are stacking up to last year?

Last edited:
Note to S&W; It's time for a big sales incentive. $100 rebate with 4 free mags would get me heading to the local gun shop for a new M&P 45.

I would to, I bought an M&P in 9mm but don't shoot it much due to all my other handguns being .45 or .22LR. I keep lots of .45 and .22LR on hand and reload .45 but don't keep a lot of 9mm for one gun. Although I have been thinking about picking up an M9/92FS. Just always like those guns. That would give me more reason to stock up on 9mm and maybe start reloading it. It's the never ending problem of my eyes being bigger than my wallet.

I think gun sales are down because ammo prices are so high. I'd like to make a few new acquisitions but find myself spending boatloads of money on ammo. I also find myself looking at new guns in the same caliber as the ones I already own so that I don't have to stock many different calibers and if the shtf most of my guns will eat the same ammo

ETA: Any one know how ammo sales are stacking up to last year?

Ditto. Primers ain't cheap either.

Do you remember back just a couple of years ago when S&W's mangement issued glowing company reports and got the stock to spike almost over night to $22 a share from $2.00 and then they all sold their stock at once and it dropped back to $2.00..

This might be a good time to buy stock..

If only it were that easy lol. They would have had the federal trade commission all over their asses. As is they need to put in a sale order several months and months in advance and they only have a small window to sell the stocks to prevent insider trading. Believe me I know how it goes.

Remove those silly internal locks and I'll go buy two J-frames now.

Exactly. S&W makes some great guns, but I'm not going to trust my life to a gun that has a lock with countless documented "oopsies" to it's credit. IIRC since the addition of the locks to the product line S&W did one short production run of no-lock 642's and 442's, and they sold like hotcakes.

Exactly. S&W makes some great guns, but I'm not going to trust my life to a gun that has a lock with countless documented "oopsies" to it's credit. IIRC since the addition of the locks to the product line S&W did one short production run of no-lock 642's and 442's, and they sold like hotcakes.

There's been more than one run of no-lock 642s. In the future I think we will start
seeing that thing disappear. (crosses fingers)

-Mike

Their MSRP's are 60% too high. Bring down the price, and sales will go up.

Everyone's MSRPs are bad. Everyone knows that, including the consumers.

They have to keep the MSRPs high because of all the middlemen involved in gun sales, with MAP and all the other stupid crap that goes on... [laugh]

-Mike

Everyone's MSRPs are bad. Everyone knows that, including the consumers.

They have to keep the MSRPs high because of all the middlemen involved in gun sales, with MAP and all the other stupid crap that goes on... [laugh]

-Mike

Exactly, no one pays MSRP. The current selling price on the M&P Pistols is between $520-600. Only a little higher than a free state Glock.

Back
Top Bottom