• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Slingshots & Wrist Rockets Legal ?

A slungshot is a weapon that consists of a weight, or "shot," on the end of a cord. The cord is tied around the wrist, and the weight is carried in the hand or the pocket of the user. To use, the weight is thrown into the opponent's face, rather like a yo-yo. Repeated blows can be landed by "snapping" the slungshot, rather like snapping a towel.

that thing sounds awesome. Where do I get one?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-a-Motorcycle-Getback-Whip-/10000000205794857/g.html[/QUOTE]

It is essentially a monkey fist knot tied around a large ball bearing or billiard ball with a loop for your wrist. We used them all the time in the service for heaving a line to another ship in preparations for an underway replenishment (UnRep).
Lots of YouTube vids on the subject.

Bob

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+tie+a+monkey+fist+around+a+ball&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN1PzB5s_UAhVCRCYKHQY5BTwQ1QIIuQIoAw&biw=704&bih=729

Although it is my understanding that they are illegal to sell/mfr in MA, they are definitely legal to possess.

That said, I remember an end-cap at the N. Attleboro Dick-less with them and supplies back in the day that C-pher worked there, which was probably the last time I was in that store. Hint for newer folks: C-pher left them for BassPro prior to the BP opening, so it was a long time ago (but the laws haven't changed in 20 yrs wrt this stuff).

Just so happens I was driving past that Dick's tonight. They do not have then anymore. The Lodge guy said they're illegal in MA and gave me aN "I don't know" when I asked if they were illegal to buy or to own in MA. He did volunteer that they can be bought in RI though which was helpful.

You can buy them from Amazon or many other companies online. They will ship to MA. It is a myth that they are illegal in MA. A "slung shot" is illegal because it is like a black jack not a sling shot.

I got one some years back to wack squirrels, but it's a poor tool for the job.

Quote for convenience:

I stated earlier that sale of sling shots or slung shots were illegal in MA. Others state otherwise. It took some digging in C. 269 but finally found it.

C. 269 § 12
Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed star-like object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

Misdemeanor.

The above applies to sales, not possession.

Bringing back a zombie thread...
Where can I buy a sling shot? I'm up in Laconia next week in case it's a problem to buy them in MA. I don't recall ever seeing a place in MA that sells them. I've heard they carry them at Wal-Mart but what section should I be looking in (bb guns, camping, kids toys, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe Martells in Laconia. They have some good guns too. They used to have a great selection of pre 64 winchesters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, did a search and decided to resurrect rather than create new. I think that's proper forum etiquette, right? At the very least the earlier info should eliminate the "you can't have that in MA" posts.

Back to my question, ideas for where to buy one in person in NH? Particularly since a potential online vendor has now been outed?

There are many here that object to using an old thread as a continuum. I suspect most of those that never read stickies either, after all we posted most of those many years ago too.

Personally I agree with you, if there is an existing thread on the topic, why create another one.

Back to my question, ideas for where to buy one in person in NH? Particularly since a potential online vendor has now been outed?

Not in NH, but just over the border. Kittery Trading Post has always had a bunch of wrist rockets for sale.

Well lets see FITH. I am sorry if this question offended you. But I cannot make a bottle of Whiskey (ILLEGAL),and I do not have a license to Sell a bottle of Whiskey (ILLEGAL),But that does not make it illegal to posses a bottle of Whiskey.

morgan-freeman-hes-right-u-know-hes-right-you-know.jpg

Imagine the stroke Martha would have if retailers in this state were selling something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Yancorp-Powerful-Hunting-Slingshot-Support/dp/B01N1V686E

K8eWcFX.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Slingshot-Powerful-Stainless-Aluminium-Catapult/dp/B06XCW84Q3

15EFJfe.jpg

Quote for convenience:

I stated earlier that sale of sling shots or slung shots were illegal in MA. Others state otherwise. It took some digging in C. 269 but finally found it.

C. 269 § 12
Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed star-like object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.
Misdemeanor.

The above applies to sales, not possession.

So a switchblade with a 1.4" blade is OK, then. (don't know why you'd WANT one, but it looks to be legal. Vermont it has to be under 3"... and they DO make automatic knives with 2.9" blades.)

Ok I have a Barnett Diablo slingshot I keep @ a camp in Maine, and have been told that they are not Legal in Ma. Problem is the kids love it, and I wanted to get a couple for them to use down here. Could someone tell me if they are legal to posses or not. all I could find was a Law about manufacture and sale..

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.
possession is covered by Chapter 269 - Section 10 (b) - it is silent (no mention of) on slingshots only slug shot mentioned...

Section 10: Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment​

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

FWIW, at some point "Sling Shot" was added to section 12

Section 12: Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons​

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

FWIW, at some point "Sling Shot" was added to section 12

Section 12: Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons​

Yeah, I don't remember that being there when I was living there.

It wasn't there a few years ago. No idea what bill it got slipped into (perhaps budget bill?) without notice.
I figured. I remember reading it when I still was a subject of Marxachusetts and had to look up WTF a "slung shot" was and was amused that after leaving NJ, I'd finally arrived at a state where my SLING shot was legal. (you can't buy them in NJ - way the law is written, it looks like they need an FID to purchase... and, most likely, a serial number. So I surmise that NJ shops simply don't bother.)

Although... the OP's quote back in 2007 shows that exact wording. How'd THAT happen? I'd swear it wasn't there the first time I read that statute!

Back
Top Bottom