• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Slingshots & Wrist Rockets Legal ?

Ok I have a Barnett Diablo slingshot I keep @ a camp in Maine, and have been told that they are not Legal in Ma. Problem is the kids love it, and I wanted to get a couple for them to use down here. Could someone tell me if they are legal to posses or not. all I could find was a Law about manufacture and sale..

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

Are you really asking this Q? Lets look at this together!!!!
The law says you can not make them..sell them....why would you THINK you could posses them!!! And can you prove you didn't make it!??? " Ok sir ..we are sorry ! We didn't know you bought the wrist rocket! " Come on !!!!

Well lets see FITH. I am sorry if this question offended you. But I cannot make a bottle of Whiskey (ILLEGAL),and I do not have a license to Sell a bottle of Whiskey (ILLEGAL),But that does not make it illegal to posses a bottle of Whiskey.

Good Question. While the quoted law does prohibit sling shot sales, the section that deals with our possession located in Chapter 269, Section 10(b) reads in part:

Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, ... a slung shot,..., or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle,... or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished ...

In other words, if they can't nail you on the Sling Shot, they can nail you on disturbing the Public Peace (afterall, why were the cops involved?) and then can call just about ANYTHING a weapon and charge you under this.

Thank You very much Dixidawg and Chris I really appreciate you helpful posts. Its help like yours that make a Forum a Fun place. And I also found the term Slung Shot odd, and from what I can see from other sourses a Sling Shot, and a Slung Shot are 2 totally different items. So what I am seeing is there is no law against Sling Shot possesion.
AS IT SHOULD BE

Last edited:
Well lets see FITH. I am sorry if this question offended you. But I cannot make a bottle of Whiskey (ILLEGAL),and I do not have a license to Sell a bottle of Whiskey (ILLEGAL),But that does not make it illegal to posses a bottle of Whiskey.

NOO Noo No I'm soorry ! I meant no offense...I'm Sorry! But it is illegal.[thinking]

NOO Noo No I'm soorry ! I meant no offense...I'm Sorry! But it is illegal.[thinking]

No problem, But this is exactly why I like to see the actual Law.. Sling Shots may very well be illegal, but I still have not seen the actual law. But I will error on the side of caution as we all must do in this messed up state.. Thank you all again for you help..

Wow I learn something new here every day. I never knew what a slung shot was before. Sounds a little like that medieval weapon that looks like a mace on the end of a chain that you swing (what's what called? hammer something or other)... I bet that one's illegal too. Must suck to be a member of the SCA in MA.

Prepper, you're thinking of a morningstar... and they're illegal for SCA combat. Waaay back in the early years they were legal... and someone got the chain wrapped around his wrist and got the wrist broken. Or so I was told... I didn't get into the SCA until AS14 or so.

But it is illegal.[thinking]

You know I love ya, but show me the law that says that it's illegal to own one?

I'm pretty sure like Chris said...as long as you're not disturbing the peace it's OK to plink in your back yard. I just wouldn't be walking down the street popping birds and squirrels.

And a Slung Shot as defined by Websters:

A slungshot is a weapon that consists of a weight, or "shot," on the end of a cord. The cord is tied around the wrist, and the weight is carried in the hand or the pocket of the user. To use, the weight is thrown into the opponent's face, rather like a yo-yo. Repeated blows can be landed by "snapping" the slungshot, rather like snapping a towel.

Last edited:

It's getting difficult in here to say much without offending, pissing off, or getting stupid smart ass remarks from somebody who thinks they know it all. Just sayin.

Ummmm, you DO know the last post before yours was from 2007, right? [laugh] Just sayin.....

Not offended. Not pissed off. Just a "little" bit of a smart arse.

Last edited:
Yup, I've done a fair amount of research on this.

Slungshot = Blackjack. A leather bag filled with lead shot for delivering blunt trauma blows without breaking the skull.

Slingshot = OK to own and use in MA. Not legal to make or sell.

It could be worse. In NY slingshots are OK unless they have a wrist support (Wrist rocket, etc.) in which case they are not legal. Go figure.

I think a slungshot was what David killed Goliath with! Two long hemp strings with a leather pouch used to hurl rocks, etc.

Ok I have a Barnett Diablo slingshot I keep @ a camp in Maine, and have been told that they are not Legal in Ma. Problem is the kids love it, and I wanted to get a couple for them to use down here. Could someone tell me if they are legal to posses or not. all I could find was a Law about manufacture and sale..

Chapter 269: Section 12. Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons

Section 12. Whoever manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a dirk knife, a switch knife or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, slung shot, sling shot, bean blower, sword cane, pistol cane, bludgeon, blackjack, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or metallic knuckles or knuckles of any other substance which could be put to the same use and with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than six months; provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used.

"bean blower" is illegal ??? Straws and a box of peas are now an illegal combination! Every supermarket should be raided and shut down by the bAG!

Bringing back a zombie thread...
Where can I buy a sling shot? I'm up in Laconia next week in case it's a problem to buy them in MA. I don't recall ever seeing a place in MA that sells them. I've heard they carry them at Wal-Mart but what section should I be looking in (bb guns, camping, kids toys, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.

Had a wrist rocket when I was a kid. Wow, those things are insane. We had some 'ammo' that l think was a metal ball covered in fine cement or something. They were about the size of a marble but heavy. I think at one time we could even buy replacement rubber tubing at Wally World (or maybe it was The Fair!) but it has been a while since I have seen any for sale in MA. Love this nanny state...

Although it is my understanding that they are illegal to sell/mfr in MA, they are definitely legal to possess.

That said, I remember an end-cap at the N. Attleboro Dick-less with them and supplies back in the day that C-pher worked there, which was probably the last time I was in that store. Hint for newer folks: C-pher left them for BassPro prior to the BP opening, so it was a long time ago (but the laws haven't changed in 20 yrs wrt this stuff).

Where can I buy a sling shot? I'm up in Laconia next week in case it's a problem to buy them in MA. I don't recall ever seeing a place in MA that sells them. I've heard they carry them at Wal-Mart but what section should I be looking in (bb guns, camping, kids toys, etc)? Any help would be appreciated.
Edited to remove the party because sometimes I think slower than I type. PM me if you want to know more

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What's old is new again, 1st post 2007, then it went dead till 2012... Now it's back in 2017... [grin]

I guess good info just doesn't die... [rofl]

I did the same thing in another thread, it was dead for a long time till someone must of did a search and bada bing it's alive again and I answered with out looking to see how old it was... [smile]

Good info on the Slung Shot, I had forgotten about those...

As Len said now that the AG Minions have seen Sling Shot she will add it to the "You Can't Have That List" because it's a copy of the slung shot or some stupid reason like that... [laugh2]

And a Slung Shot as defined by Websters:[/QUOTE]
A slungshot is a weapon that consists of a weight, or "shot," on the end of a cord. The cord is tied around the wrist, and the weight is carried in the hand or the pocket of the user. To use, the weight is thrown into the opponent's face, rather like a yo-yo. Repeated blows can be landed by "snapping" the slungshot, rather like snapping a towel.

that thing sounds awesome. Where do I get one?

Last edited:
And a Slung Shot as defined by Websters:

that thing sounds awesome. Where do I get one?[/QUOTE]

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-a-Motorcycle-Getback-Whip-/10000000205794857/g.html

What's old is new again, 1st post 2007, then it went dead till 2012... Now it's back in 2017... [grin]

I guess good info just doesn't die... [rofl]

I did the same thing in another thread, it was dead for a long time till someone must of did a search and bada bing it's alive again and I answered with out looking to see how old it was... [smile]

Good info on the Slung Shot, I had forgotten about those...

As Len said now that the AG Minions have seen Sling Shot she will add it to the "You Can't Have That List" because it's a copy of the slung shot or some stupid reason like that... [laugh2]

Yep, did a search and decided to resurrect rather than create new. I think that's proper forum etiquette, right? At the very least the earlier info should eliminate the "you can't have that in MA" posts.

Back to my question, ideas for where to buy one in person in NH? Particularly since a potential online vendor has now been outed?

You can buy them from Amazon or many other companies online. They will ship to MA. It is a myth that they are illegal in MA. A "slung shot" is illegal because it is like a black jack not a sling shot.

I got one some years back to wack squirrels, but it's a poor tool for the job.

Back
Top Bottom