• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS questions and possible answers

AIM SURPLUS has unissued ones for 3.95 (Latch/sear spring)

Just incase

He must have removed a good amount off the angle of the sear to shorten the pull, not a bad thing but this can happen. Some just stretch the spring but I'm sure he knows what he's doing

Having a hard time getting the pin out to remove the spring so he's asked me to send the trigger group back for rework. Says it'll go front of the line and mail it right back. He says he may have cut too many coils out of the spring. It currently has 9 coils. He's going to put a stiffer spring in. Have to say he stands by his work.

Having a hard time getting the pin out to remove the spring so he's asked me to send the trigger group back for rework. Says it'll go front of the line and mail it right back. He says he may have cut too many coils out of the spring. It currently has 9 coils. He's going to put a stiffer spring in. Have to say he stands by his work.
Great, glad he's standing behind his work. Seems like an easy fix. I also had a pin hard to remove on a buds Russian so I just put a 1/4 inch socket on the opposite side and used a small vise and it came out pretty smooth. Can't wait for an update

If you ultimately need to replace the bolt, you will need to replace the carrier, too.

Anybody have any leads on where to find a bolt and carrier that would work?? Seems the places I've looked are OOS...

I see them pop up from time to time on sites but not lately. If you replace it, you'll have to make sure it headspaces ok.

Great, glad he's standing behind his work. Seems like an easy fix. I also had a pin hard to remove on a buds Russian so I just put a 1/4 inch socket on the opposite side and used a small vise and it came out pretty smooth. Can't wait for an update

Trigger group is back got it Saturday. I can tell just by installingit that the mag release latch has much more tension on it now. I'd say the trigger has a bit heavier detectable pull but it is still smooth and predictable.

Didn't realize that spring does two jobs......Sear and mag release latch.

Trigger group is back got it Saturday. I can tell just by installingit that the mag release latch has much more tension on it now. I'd say the trigger has a bit heavier detectable pull but it is still smooth and predictable.

Didn't realize that spring does two jobs......Sear and mag release latch.

Test fired it at the range on Sunday. Accurate. Great trigger feel. 250 rounds downrange not one malfunction. I'm not at all upset about having to send it back because the final outcome is fantastic.

My sks is stuck in bolt action and I cant put it back into semi .. I lubed it but didnt help any suggestions

If it's Yugo, make sure the grenade launcher switch is off. Grenade launcher mode blocks the gas tube to give it extra power, disabling semi-auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's Yugo, make sure the grenade launcher switch is off. Grenade launcher mode blocks the gas tube to give it extra power, disabling semi-auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i moved the switch to open the launcher now the switch is stuck in the open position

Hello, I just got a SKS 20" barrel with NO marks at all. Just the S/N on all the parts. I think it was build in 1988 and its Chinese. What do I have?

Thanks Rick

Hello, I just got a SKS 20" barrel with NO marks at all. Just the S/N on all the parts. I think it was build in 1988 and its Chinese. What do I have?

Thanks Rick
Sounds like maybe a commercial SKS for the civilian market

Just to be clear on the markings, the only markings are the S/N. Nothing else, no Caliper, No maker and No proof stamps. I never seen a firearm that way.

Thanks Rick

Does it have a blade or spike bayonet? If it's a spike it's probably a Chinese made commercial SKS for civ market.

Pics would help. But it does sound like one of the scrubbed and restamped receiver rebuilds from the 1980s which were flooded onto the US commercial market.

recoil spring free length

Does anyone know what an acceptable free length for an SKS recoil spring should be? I have a well used type 56. I thought it might be prudent to replace the recoil spring. The original spring measures about 12.75". The unused surplus spring I got measures right at 14" and seems quite a bit stiffer. Maybe the original spring is really just THAT worn? New spring seems to fit ok but I havent shot it yet. I suppose I could just shoot the damn thing and see if it works. Whats the worst that will happen....bolt will short stroke?

I have a Chinese SKS w/ Bayonet that my dad brought home from Vietnam. He was stationed in Udorn, Thailand, flying Jolly Greens (HH-53) picking up shot down plots over N Vietnam and Laos. He traded his combat boots and sunglasses for the rifle to a Laotian Tribesman. The stock is engraved with a few kills. If this rifle could only talk!

Does anyone know what an acceptable free length for an SKS recoil spring should be? I have a well used type 56. I thought it might be prudent to replace the recoil spring. The original spring measures about 12.75". The unused surplus spring I got measures right at 14" and seems quite a bit stiffer. Maybe the original spring is really just THAT worn? New spring seems to fit ok but I havent shot it yet. I suppose I could just shoot the damn thing and see if it works. Whats the worst that will happen....bolt will short stroke?

The 1-1/4" loss in relaxed spring length is pretty normal over time and with use. You should be just fine firing the gun.

In MA, how do you register a Chinese SKS on the Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal? I hate that I am making this difficult but... what is the "Make"; China, Arsenal/Factory, or the importer? What is the "Model", Type 56 SKS? Is a Chinese SKS considered "Antique"? Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Firearms made before 1899 are antiques, so an SKS would not qualify.

I have read of different people doing it in various ways. C&R Bound Book lists "Manufacturer or Importer" or something to that effect.
In the case of Serbian arms manufactured at Zastava, I put Zastava. For Mosins I put Izhevsk, etc. but I think most people put country for milsurps.

I'd do "Norinco" as manufacturer and either "SKS" or "Type 56" as the model.
My SKS was bought in a group buy and the dealer put "Yugo" and "SKS" for the fields..."Yugo" is wonderfully imprecise, and no one came and did a no-knock raid on me...

Back
Top Bottom