SKS questions and possible answers

Worked perfectly today. 90 rounds with no issues whatsoever. Nice to be able to pull back and just let 'er rip.

Thanks guys.

Looks nice but can't tell much from that one pic. Big thing is if it's a refurb or as-issued. From the pic it appears to not be BBQ painted but it still could be a light refurb, just can't tell. Do you know any details or the price yet?

I sold my other russian a couple years ago. Looked just like that.

It had a refurb stamp on the cover, but was in otherwise perfect original condition. For reference, I sold mine for $500, 2 years ago. If it's a non refurb, it'll probably be a good amount more.

I sort of miss it but it was too pretty to shoot. Turned it into a beater chinese sks and a case of golden tiger.

I kept my BBQ refurb since I like to shoot it and don't worry about dinging it up too much.

I sold my other russian a couple years ago. Looked just like that.

It had a refurb stamp on the cover, but was in otherwise perfect original condition. For reference, I sold mine for $500, 2 years ago. If it's a non refurb, it'll probably be a good amount more.

I sort of miss it but it was too pretty to shoot. Turned it into a beater chinese sks and a case of golden tiger.

I kept my BBQ refurb since I like to shoot it and don't worry about dinging it up too much.

Yup, I sold a beautiful light refurb '54 for $550 2 or 3 years ago on GB. My as-issued '52 I got a few years earlier via trade for a Chinese SKS in good but not great condition and a Hi Point TS45 carbine, about $500 in trade value at the time. I was pretty happy with that.

SKS values can be hard because so many folks don't understand the different types. They see SKS and think, meh $250-$400 depending on condition. Really, an as-issued Russian in excellent condition like mine is fairly rare but you can still find them for around $500-ish when a garden variety Chinese is going for $400 and a Yugo is going for $450.

Now, if you find an Izzy you have a rare find and is worth significantly more to a SKS collector. These were made in small numbers in the Izhevsk arsenal only in 1953 and 54. a '54 Izzy in good condition can go for $800. 1953 Izzys are very few and very rare and can go for $1,000 or more, give or take depending on condition. Izzys will have the circle with a triangle and arrow inside of it for an arsenal mark like this on the receiver cover and stock:

images

Instead of the usual Tula arsenal star with arrow inside of it like these:

images

Looks nice but can't tell much from that one pic. Big thing is if it's a refurb or as-issued. From the pic it appears to not be BBQ painted but it still could be a light refurb, just can't tell. Do you know any details or the price yet?

Guy has had it for 20 years in this same cond, he shot it twice and paid 150.0. he's getting back to me after vac , I hope .
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Google SKS trigger check. You might have a sear issue.
The hammer definitely sneaks forward as the trigger is pulled. Also the trigger is not smooth at all as it is pulled it goes tick tick tick back as the hammer goes tick tick tick forward then the hammer falls. Is this bad? Whats the fux?

Last edited:
The GRENADE LAUNCHER uses Standard NATO Grenades ?

Why would a Soviet Country do that ?

Are the Grenades still manufactured and used in any NATO Countries ?

The GRENADE LAUNCHER uses Standard NATO Grenades ?

Why would a Soviet Country do that ?

Are the Grenades still manufactured and used in any NATO Countries ?

Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union weren't on good terms in the 1960s when they added the launcher. Google Tito/Stalin split. They ceased cooperating in the late 40s early 50s. Yugoslavia was one of the founders of the non-aligned movement.

Please keep us advised
So far his communication with customers is good. I emailed him yesterday to see if the package arrived. Got an email 24 hours later telling me he got it. He says little less than 30 day turnaround.

Having a slight problem with my Norinco sks which I got recently. It shoots great, cycles fine. But after about 10-12 rounds the gas tube lever gets jiggled out of place and is sticking straight up. Found out on YouTube that I probably just need to bend it slightly so it sits better in the detente, but thought I'd ask first before giving it a few taps with that mallet.

thanks!

Having a slight problem with my Norinco sks which I got recently. It shoots great, cycles fine. But after about 10-12 rounds the gas tube lever gets jiggled out of place and is sticking straight up. Found out on YouTube that I probably just need to bend it slightly so it sits better in the detente, but thought I'd ask first before giving it a few taps with that mallet.

thanks!

I had one that did the same. I ended up using a large face punch that had a slight taper and with the lever side supported, gave the cupped side a whack with the punch and a hammer. That and a slight bend of the lever usually fixes it. If you have a doming punch that works perfect, but Harbor Freight sells a cheap set that has a tapered one that works well.

Search YouTube for loose sks gas tube lever and you'll see a video where a guy uses a ball bearing.

Most important thing when doing this is to support the lever side on something solid like a small block of hard wood so you can crush that pin inward and flare out the side to make resistance.

Been meaning to update this:

I gave the lever 2 light taps with a nylon hammer, supported by a 2x4 underneath. Fits a lot more snugly now in the detente. Before it swung almost freely, now I have to get a fingernail or small tool underneath and pry it out. Haven't actually shot yet but I have a hard time seeing how it would move anymore.

Mailed the trigger group to kivaari today. Hoping I am happy with the reaulta when I get it back

Kivaari emailed me this morning and the trigger is on the way back. So looks like 6 week turn around. This is his update

Hammer was a little "short" apparently from the factory. So I swapped out the sear with another I had that was taller to help mitigate the metal lost in the hammer. I straightened the disconnector also...Sear had to be clearanced a great deal from your disconnector so it's very light sear, which is good too.
Works well now with about 4 1/4# weight with the heavy factory hammer spring.
Let me know how it works for you
Thanks for the kind business
Tom

Back
Top Bottom