1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

SKS questions and possible answers

Discussion in 'Mil Surp Collectors' started by SKS Ray, Aug 2, 2010.

1. martin08

martin08

The 1-1/4" loss in relaxed spring length is pretty normal over time and with use. You should be just fine firing the gun.

1 person likes this.

2. Artie

Artie NES Member

In MA, how do you register a Chinese SKS on the Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal? I hate that I am making this difficult but... what is the "Make"; China, Arsenal/Factory, or the importer? What is the "Model", Type 56 SKS? Is a Chinese SKS considered "Antique"? Thanks for the help

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. daekken

daekken NES Member

Firearms made before 1899 are antiques, so an SKS would not qualify.

I have read of different people doing it in various ways. C&R Bound Book lists "Manufacturer or Importer" or something to that effect.
    In the case of Serbian arms manufactured at Zastava, I put Zastava. For Mosins I put Izhevsk, etc. but I think most people put country for milsurps.

I'd do "Norinco" as manufacturer and either "SKS" or "Type 56" as the model.
    My SKS was bought in a group buy and the dealer put "Yugo" and "SKS" for the fields..."Yugo" is wonderfully imprecise, and no one came and did a no-knock raid on me...

Artie likes this.
  4. jpm

jpm NES Member

The manufacturer is China if there is no brand like Norinco imprinted on it. Importer doesn't matter for MA, only your bound book. Model is good as you have it or SKS or Type 56.

Artie likes this.
  5. durmax

durmax

I have a Chinese SKS that I love. I added a gas tube and a synthetic stock and it shoots like a champ. I just got a NcStar receiver cover for it. I flied and fit it so it is a perfect fit with no play. I set the side set screws nice and tight following a pattern so it would be even, and I used loctite blue to keep it in place. I put the scope on it with the red dot all set up laser bore sight all good to go. When I shot it the bolt got jammed in the back. I undid the set screws because the loctite didn't have time to set up hard. I took it back out and it fired no problem.

My question is do I really need the set screws? .