Six Stages Of Knockdown Steel

We also have steel plate matches every 2nd Sunday of the month and also on the 1st and 3rd Friday nights of each month during acceptable weather.---Kimber45
Kimber45,
Who can I call to ensure a Friday night match is going to run?

Respectfully,

jkelly

You can contact me regarding Friday night matches or any other matches including "Walls of Steel". I can be reached at 401-480-9641. As for power factor I do not have any solid numbers to provide. I think velocity below 1350 fps would be just fine. Anything over that will probably be too hot. Thanks for posting.

You can contact me regarding Friday night matches or any other matches including "Walls of Steel". I can be reached at 401-480-9641. As for power factor I do not have any solid numbers to provide. I think velocity below 1350 fps would be just fine. Anything over that will probably be too hot. Thanks for posting.

Thanks!

Another steel shooter PMed me with some good tips. Bigger matches require under 1300fps (they don't seem to go by PF). He suggested running 1250pf is overkill and that 125-130PF in open is good. I'm going to do that.

An excellent point he made was that major loads might break plates and cause delays. Delays suck.

Last edited:
You can contact me regarding Friday night matches or any other matches including "Walls of Steel". I can be reached at 401-480-9641.
Thank you Kimber45.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Question for Kimber45

Kimber45:

Regarding Stock Auto Division;

What velocity (or power Factor) would be required for a 124gr 9mm or an 180gr 40SW? I've heard some say light (130 power factor) up to moderate (150 power factor).

Personally I would go for the middle of both. Most steel plates are on the smaller side but some of the poppers are pretty big and these can be taken down with a well placed headshot with most loads. Obviously, the lighter the load the harder to take these out. I don't have a chrono so I have no idea what my power factors are but I can tell you what loads I use. For my .40 I shoot 4.1 of titegroup with a 180 gr rnfp and I have no problems with this load at all. With the .45 I use less of a load with the titegroup and a 230 gr bullet and ahave no problems with that either. Hope this helps a little.

Two weeks until kickoff. Everybody got their applications in yet? Hope to see you there. Looks like it's going to be a good shoot.

Are you guys checking the steel the morning of the match with some standard/minimum load? For instance, shooting the plates to make sure they go down with WWB 9mm or something similar.

I’m loading light to make sure I don’t damage your plates but I want to make sure I’m not having to pound poppers with multiple shots to get them to fall down.

Figure 300 rounds?

Looking forward to the match! Thanks

Are you guys checking the steel the morning of the match with some standard/minimum load? For instance, shooting the plates to make sure they go down with WWB 9mm or something similar.

I’m loading light to make sure I don’t damage your plates but I want to make sure I’m not having to pound poppers with multiple shots to get them to fall down.

Figure 300 rounds?

Looking forward to the match! Thanks

Put some powder in not just the primers [smile]

I am planning on 600 rounds in case there is a chance to shoot more.

Last edited:
looks like we are shooting togather sat. dont worry about the steel, its set light. I shot the local match a few weeks ago with my 130pf 115gr loads no problems at all.

Chris, Gary- I think D.Q. and I might try and make it down to shoot on Sunday (provided they still have open slots). Time to clean the 627's and shoot some steel. Gonna shoot open and stock revo. Maybe we'll see you there. Hmmm after all this IPSC with a 1911 I wonder if I remember how to operate the funny round ones!

We just got back from shooting this match. This is a TON OF FUN. They are not full yet, so GO. You'll have a blast. You won't get worn out. We started at 9:00 and we were done by 12:00. Their pits are brand new and the steel is even newer. Overall, a great facility and a great match.

If you are looking for something to do this weekend, this is a must do. Great time, Great group, easy on the shooter.

Bring 250 rounds and have a ball. For those worried about ammo, minor power factor will work just fine.

Anyone got any results from the match?

Does anyone know if/when they will post the results from the match? I didn't shoot it but am curious to see where everyone finished.

Thanks,
-Cuz.

The preliminary results are in!
I have just sent the preliminary results to the webmaster at www.wallumlakerodgun.com.
They should be posted there very shortly.Please allow a few days for the final results and payouts to be posted.
I would like to thank the shooters that competed this week. The quality of shooters was much more than anyone could ask for when having a competition of this magnitude for the first time.
I'm sure when you read the names of the competitors you will all agree that they were some of the "Best of the Best".
For anyone intersted, our next match will be held on Sunday, September 16th.
The match will start at 10:00 A.M. sharp and will consist of at least three stages of knockdown steel. If entries warrant, I will have as many as six stages setup. I will limit each shooter to two guns just to keep the match moving along as quickly and smoothly as possible.
For this "local" match the cost will be $5.00 per gun.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact me personally. You can find my contact information at the club's website.
Jim Richardson

The results are on the Wallum Lake site.
http://www.wallumlakerodgun.com/

It was a lot of fun. It was tough too. Steel poses a different challenge. You pretty much have to have the same plan for each stage, hit the steel and count your shots. I kept trying to plan my reloads but that went out the window each time I missed one. If I had been better at counting my shots I would have avoided running dry two or three times.

Definitely try this out next year.

First off, Thanks Jim for all you did to put this match on, thanks Wallum Lake R&G for letting Jim put this on.
Thanks Jeff who helped Jim set this up and paint the targets and all sorts of stuff to keep the shoot running.
And last but not least Thank's Roger for doing all the stats (I have to go check those don't I [wink])

If you made it to the match then you already know what a great job was done and how much fun it is,
if you didn't then don't miss out on it next year.
Nice bays, lots of shade with trees all around.

Here's for a sellout in 2008 !!
Thanks again folks, great job. [cheers]

Last edited:
Outstanding Sportsmanship

I'd like to let forum members know about a fellow member who exhibited outstanding sportsmanship. Chris Martin (cpmconst) went out his way to answer equipment questions I had about the 'Walls of Steel' match and offered unsolicited, solid advice, undoubtably at his own expense. You don't often see this kind of sportsmanship and I wanted to make members aware of it, and how much it is appreciated.

So...

Thank You Chris!

Scottb

I'd like to let forum members know about a fellow member who exhibited outstanding sportsmanship. Chris Martin (cpmconst) went out his way to answer equipment questions I had about the 'Walls of Steel' match and offered unsolicited, solid advice, undoubtably at his own expense. You don't often see this kind of sportsmanship and I wanted to make members aware of it, and how much it is appreciated.

So...

Thank You Chris!

Scottb

I have to second that one Scott. Chris is one of a small hand full of guys that have basically taught me most of what I have learned about shooting. From basic safety and gun handling when I started some years ago right through each type of action shooting competition I participate in. Everything from ICORE to steel, bowling pins, shotguns, rifle, three-gun and IPSC. His support and encouragement is as recent as the NE sectional we shot last week... and it helped me BIG TIME!
Thanks Chris...

So...

Thank You Chris!

Scottb

+2 Hope he visits from PA occasionally. Thanks from me too Chris. Nice shooting with you Friday.

Another thanks to Chris. He just left my office and gave me a whole bunch of footage from the Sectional and Walls of Steel. I'll get some of that posted soon.

I think we should get a group together and go down and shoot the PSA match in PA. ScottB will drive, he loves PA.

Back
Top Bottom