Since this is forum for dealer review .... who's the worst?

It's not that far from AG. A couple of weeks ago, I went to FS and AG. It takes under 30 minutes to get from one to the other, and lucky me, I live in the middle!

Adam

Adam_MA said:
It's not that far from AG. A couple of weeks ago, I went to FS and AG. It takes under 30 minutes to get from one to the other, and lucky me, I live in the middle!

Adam

Don't forget to throw collectors into the mix too with another few minutes. I can't count the number of times Ive been part of a group that make the loop.. you know.. you see a guy at FS and fifteen minutes later you see him again as you walk into collectors..

Bugie

Believe it or not... I have never even been into collectors. I always hear great things, but I start at FS and always find what I am looking for.

I need to make it a point one of these days!

Adam

One of the worst stores I have shopped at is Pats Guns in Lanesborough. It is a tiny, dirty, dark hole in the wall of a shop next to a Post office in a small shopping center. The owner is an angry man who can loose his temper very quickly, especially with people who ask questions that he does not know the answer too. He does not know alot about guns, or cares to help people. The store shelves are nearly bare, and everything is covered with thick layer of dust. There is a small collection of new & used guns at high prices. Most of the ammo he sells has been sitting on the shelves for 10+ years. The shop also closes at five weekdays, and is not open on weekends. The only redeeming value is that he will order guns for 10% over cost. Personally, with the lack of customer service and hours, I have no idea how he stays in business.

Last edited:
I only had one really bad experience at a gun shop. Unfortunately it was at Four Seasons but it was because of one person that works there and I don't even see him there that much. When I first started shooting and collecting I took 2 old rifles up there to be checked out and get an estimated value of them . One was an old French Carbine and the other a late model Mauser. Both were WW2 vet bring backs that belonged to my Father. He got them off an old timer and he just wanted an opinion on their value, not to sell them.
The guy that someone sent out to give me opinions on them looked them over and said they were only worth about $200 for the both of them. He offered to buy them but I explained they weren't for sale. I thought the amount was way under what they were really worth but I just shrugged my shoulders and took them back to my Father. Years later we found out the combined value of the two rifles was in the neighborhood of $2500. [shocked]
Carl and the rest of the guys there are always great to deal with but to this day when I see that old guy there I still get mad thinking about his offer.

I do not go into FS any more because of the asst. mgr.
In May I bought a $1400 gun, that was 98% in early July I went back to trade it in on a $1200 gun that was 80% and mine was still 98%.
He wanted my gun PLUS $400 more!!!!![angry] I would have done an even trade, my gun still list sells for $1675.
Needless to say I will not go back to FC.
I drive the 80 miles and go to COLLECTORS. And then go home!!!.

Fred

Sportsman's in Amherst gets my vote. Sucked me in twice telling me on the phone the he had the pistol that I was after. Bait and switched the first time, second time I flipped out and he bellied up. Will never go back again, even if he's giving guns away.

Gary

I have to say that The Gun Room is probably the worst store I've been in (although I've only been there, AFS, FS, Roach's, and Wal-Mart.) The place stinks like an opium den, has loads of guns but nothing you would want especially at their prices, and the people who work there were sitting in the back cracking all sorts of racial/ethnic/religious/everything rants. Not that I mind that all that much, but it doesn't make the atmosphere all that welcoming.

Four Seasons is of course excellent, and Roach's is very good as well, decent prices, solid selection, and knowledgeable gun people.

I will put my two cents in and say that I use Walmart for my range ammo, 9mm value packs, because there's no store that I know of that can beat $12 for 100 rounds in this state. Close? Sure. But as a recent college grad who doesn't have a stable job at the moment, I need to save money where I can, and that's one way to do it. I have found the Walmart in Walpole (I think, it might be Norwood), to always have lots of ammo in stock in a large, visible display, and a good all around selection for a Wal-mart, and has relatively knowledgeable customer service, and Southboro and Framingham both carry a basic supply of the essentials, although their ammo is stored under the counter and is hard to spot unless you know to look for it.

Carl and the rest of the guys there are always great to deal with but to this day when I see that old guy there I still get mad thinking about his offer.

I do not go into FS any more because of the asst. mgr.
Fred

I have to assume that this is Tom...Tom has pissed me off more than once, and I would rather wait an extra half hour to deal with anyone else. In the middle of buying a gun from him one time, he answered the store's phone (understandable because it was fairly busy), but then proceeded to "chat" (it was no business call, more a "catching up on things" call), and chatted for the next 15 minutes with me standing in front of him, waiting for him to finish the paperwork and make the phone call! I will NEVER deal with him again.

Even with this, I can't say anything bad about Four Seasons, because Carl and everyone else there are great.

That's HIM. I WILL NOT TRAVEL 80 MILES TO BE TREATED LIKE THAT.
NOT WHEN I SPEND $$$$$ AT A TIME.
I been in the service business for 45 years and if you want people to return you treat a customer with respect.[puke2] [puke]

Fred

Worst?

McElhiney's in Waltham. Tiny and lot of crappy looking used handguns.

I've only been there twice (years ago).

First time the old guy running the place didn't seem very concerned or helpful.

Second time I went in there I couldn't walk around the already cramped quarters because him and his wife had guns laying all over the floor so they could take pictures for one of the online gun brokers (he regularly places ads in one... I forget which). After about 10-15 minutes of waiting around to ask a few questions about a Hi-Standard he had (and getting no assistance), I finally left.

I have to say that The Gun Room is probably the worst store I've been in (although I've only been there, AFS, FS, Roach's, and Wal-Mart.) The place stinks like an opium den, has loads of guns but nothing you would want especially at their prices, and the people who work there were sitting in the back cracking all sorts of racial/ethnic/religious/everything rants. Not that I mind that all that much, but it doesn't make the atmosphere all that welcoming.

I've found the owner to be a great source of MISinformation. [rolleyes]

I have found the Walmart in Walpole (I think, it might be Norwood), to always have lots of ammo in stock in a large, visible display, and a good all around selection for a Wal-mart, and has relatively knowledgeable customer service, and Southboro and Framingham both carry a basic supply of the essentials, although their ammo is stored under the counter and is hard to spot unless you know to look for it.

It IS Walpole. You have knowledgeable clerks there (well, at least one) because he/they belong to the same club I do. A shooter behind the counter beats some high school part-timer hands down.

Last edited:
And they always have a large supply of everything in stock. the Winchester value pack 9mms, 40s, 223s, 45s, 38s, federal and remington 22s, remington/umc value pack 357s, plenty of shotgun and hunting rifle ammunition. Does it take away a little bit of money from local gun shops? Sure, but for someone who needs to save every dollar they can, it's the best place for ammo, and the stores like FS and other good gun stores will always get business for less common ammo types or exotic ammo as welll as firearms themselves.

DJSMILES,the montague ammo dump is a funny place really.bruce {the owner}is hard to read at times.his prices are high but he's got the market cornered in these parts since jurke bros. went to selling law enforcement only.
you can always try some of the shops in northampton or east hampton.one place i will never go is R&R sports in belchertown,you want to talk high prices and shitty service.dont know about anyone else who might deal with these guys but i wont.alstead gun shop in alstead n.h. used to be good but last time i went up the people working there seemed like they had better things to do then take my money.gun shops are truly a funny place,sometimes you find real great people working them and others just make you want to walk out and never return.

The older, taller, surly guy that works there.

Understand that FS just like any other business is trying to make $$$. That being said, Tom is a bit on the "stingy" side when making an offer on a trade in. Case in point, I bought a G22 Refurb for $400 a while back. After 50 rounds and a VERY thorough cleaning and lubrication, I decided it was not for me. When I brought it back interested in trading it in for something else, Tom offered $250!!! I caught Carl's attention and discussed the situation with him. Carl offered a much more reasonable figure that I agreed was fair. FS is still far and away the number one Firearm Store in Massachusetts.

Chris

Back when I got into shooting, I'd regularly see folks come into gun shops to sell off what they had owned and no longer wanted.

I learned from the folks working the gun counter, that ~50% of retail asking price is typical when buying back a gun. It may well sit on their counter for months or even years before it moves.

The best deal around (after putting it on NES Classifieds [wink] ) is putting it on consignment at FS. You set the price and you know what it will cost you (check the website, I think the numbers are up there) up-front.

DJSMILES,the montague ammo dump is a funny place really.bruce {the owner}is hard to read at times.his prices are high but he's got the market cornered in these parts since jurke bros. went to selling law enforcement only.
you can always try some of the shops in northampton or east hampton.one place i will never go is R&R sports in belchertown,you want to talk high prices and shitty service.dont know about anyone else who might deal with these guys but i wont.alstead gun shop in alstead n.h. used to be good but last time i went up the people working there seemed like they had better things to do then take my money.gun shops are truly a funny place,sometimes you find real great people working them and others just make you want to walk out and never return.
I have only had one experience with Alstead gun shop but the owner was quite helpful. I got there just before closing, the shop was pretty busy, and the owner was on his own that day. He was having a hard time keeping up with everyone but he kept coming back to show me more guns and answer questions. He even stayed open an extra 20+ minutes so I could buy a s&w 39. I had been to 4-5 shops that day and he was one of the friendliest to deal with. Like I said this was just one experience. Hard to say if I was lucky or you were unlucky.

Back
Top Bottom