Silhouette Targets in MA

I have a question for those of you from Massachusetts. I have been told that the use of silhouette targets in MA are illegal. Can someone tell me the law that governs this. Is it illegal to possess them or order them. There are many large companies that will not ship these to MA and was wondering what exactly governs this. I wanted to thank those in advance for their help.

Thank you
IrishIron

No such law. There is a law that makes it illegal for a club to use them under certain peculiar conditions. Some private ranges that are for-profit corporations with stockholders might be affected, but no individual and no clubs that I'm aware of. Individuals are completely free to purchase, possess, sell or use them, limited only by ignorant and/or frightened dealers and distributers who won't sell them.

Ken

Thank you

Ken thank you for the help, now I can order some over the net since they are difficult to find around me.

I spoke to a detective in the local PD here who is incharge of firearms Liciensing. He said this law only applies to a club that holds a LTC. He then said there are no clubs that hold this type of permit. So it is a moot point. He said you can shoot any type of target you like.

Hate to bump an old thread, but I'm looking for silhouette targets in MA and I'm wondering where you guys get them from.

I've been searching for target's that are JUST a silhouette and not something like a "bad guy" to practice with self defense shooting from. After visiting a number of places and having a ton of online orders rejected, I can't find any (And I've only ever seen ONE at NET for about $10). I was trying to find THESE and it's a 50 pack for about $20 shipped.

It works through Amazon only if you pay with a gift card - the credit card address is what flags the order. Go direct:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_ps.aspx?searchmode=category&searchcatcontext=~010000

Hate to bump an old thread, but I'm looking for silhouette targets in MA and I'm wondering where you guys get them from.

I've been searching for target's that are JUST a silhouette and not something like a "bad guy" to practice with self defense shooting from. After visiting a number of places and having a ton of online orders rejected, I can't find any (And I've only ever seen ONE at NET for about $10). I was trying to find THESE and it's a 50 pack for about $20 shipped.

I get them from the dealer at the MA/NH gun shows, the BR&P club FFL, etc.

Collectors in Stoneham typically has the B-29 (reduced B-27), not sure if he carries the B-27 or not. Don't know about the IPSC target you want, but it looks to be the same size as the B-27.

Local dealers

targets in Ma. from H 4376

Ken thank you for the help, now I can order some over the net since they are difficult to find around me.
thanks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 21, 2014, at 7:24 PM, Mark Shean <[email protected]> wrote: > > Mark, from H4376 > > (b) The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of the club; provided, however, that not less than 1 shareholder of the club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued a license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under the club license only by a member that possesses a valid firearm identification card issued pursuant to section 129B or a valid license to carry firearms, or by such other person that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid license to > carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid license to carry firearms. >

The club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties. > > >

Note, public safety personnel are law enforcement, not club members or NRA civilian instructors.

Now, in Ma. about the ONLY place people have left to shoot is clubs. So if your out in the woods at a pit shooting at these targets and a cop comes along, he could believe your breaking the law, misconceptions land people in court ALL the time.............. be proactive, always err on the side of caution, unless you like giving lawyers money.> > > Mark Shean & Son > www.mafirearmsafety.com >

Last edited:
targets in Ma. from H 4376

thanks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 21, 2014, at 7:24 PM, Mark Shean <[email protected]> wrote: > > Mark, from H4376 > > (b) The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of the club; provided, however, that not less than 1 shareholder of the club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued a license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under the club license only by a member that possesses a valid firearm identification card issued pursuant to section 129B or a valid license to carry firearms, or by such other person that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid license to > carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid license to carry firearms. > The club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties. NOTE, public safety personnel are law enforcement, not club members or NRA civilian instructors. Always err on the side of caution unless you enjoy giving lawyers money.> > > Now, in Ma. about the ONLY place people have left to shoot is clubs. So if your out in the woods at a pit shooting at these targets and a cop comes along, he could believe your breaking the law, misconceptions land people in court ALL the time.............. > > > Mark Shean & Son > www.mafirearmsafety.com >

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd like to know who the numerous vendors are who have refused to ship to MA. That's something I've never encountered.

Agreed. I'd like to know who the numerous vendors are who have refused to ship to MA. That's something I've never encountered.

I'm sure that there are a lot of them. There was much confusion on this when it passed . . . due to people NOT reading the law and understanding what they were reading. I ran my MA Gun Law Seminar at the old MFL facility a year before they ripped it apart. Jim McLoud sat thru most of the class and told me that he was under the impression that mere possession of targets depicting humans (or zombies) were illegal for MA residents to possess and he was running his business accordingly. Hopefully he changed his policy after that, but I've never asked him.

Whatever you do, do not call North Shore Firearms and ask if they sell silhouette targets. They will call the cops on you.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/content/pdf/productshippingrestrictions.pdf

Human Silhouette Targets
Cannot be shipped to Washington, D.C.; MA; or Puerto Rico. Cannot be sold to minors, convicted
felons, those convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic abuse or chemically dependent. MUST
be 18 and have no legal disabilities to order. Mail Orders: sign legal notice on order form. Phone
Orders: review legal notice on order form and provide verbal confirmation at time of ordering. Adult
signature and Receipt service available (see order form).

i believe Andover Sportsmens Club has a Club LTC, they restrict the use of silhouette targets, can't stand that place.

i believe Andover Sportsmens Club has a Club LTC, they restrict the use of silhouette targets, can't stand that place.

The curious thing is that the law says the club must prohibit the use of such targets by clubs with a club LTC, but does not make using the targets a crime, or specify what level of enforcement action a club must take to assure that its rule against such targets is followed. In other words, a completely useless law for more reasons that just the obvious.

Why would a club have an LTC? So the club as a whole can buy firearms, say for junior programs?

So, we'd file that under more flat out wrong advice from a gun shop owner. An out of state owner at that.

I always see various silhouette targets for sale at gun shows all the time.

I'm sure that there are a lot of them. There was much confusion on this when it passed . . . due to people NOT reading the law and understanding what they were reading. I ran my MA Gun Law Seminar at the old MFL facility a year before they ripped it apart. Jim McLoud sat thru most of the class and told me that he was under the impression that mere possession of targets depicting humans (or zombies) were illegal for MA residents to possess and he was running his business accordingly. Hopefully he changed his policy after that, but I've never asked him.

So, we'd file that under more flat out wrong advice from a gun shop owner. An out of state owner at that.

I always see various silhouette targets for sale at gun shows all the time.

Yup, I bought them from the vendor at the gun shows, before I found out that our club FFL (BR&P) sells them cheaper than anyone else.

I still have some full-size B-27s that I used for practice and qualification before MCJTC/MPTC got "politically correct" with the milk-bottle targets. I almost exclusively shoot the reduced B-27s (I think they are B-29).

Walmart always has them but I buy mine from Amazon using the Comm2A link and my prime account for free shipping! Cheap, easy and a small kickback to Comm2A every time.

Back
Top Bottom