• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 229 vs 239

I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldnt find the answer I was looking for. Just curious to know from you guys if you think the 239 is that much more concealable than the 229. According to the Sig website the barrel length in the 239 is .3 inches smaller and the over all length is .4 smaller. Do you think this makes it that much more concealable? The reason I ask is i have gone back and forth on both models in my head over and over, I really want to buy a 226 just cuz I want one, and winter you can conceal just about anything. But for summer carry (read long light weight shirts) is the 239 that much more concealable?

Very much so. I owned both at one point. I found myself carrying the P239 because of it's superior concealability, compared to the P229. The P229 would stick out like a sore thumb, but the P239 blends in nicely, at least on my experience. The P239 is also a single-stack setup, whereas the P226 and P229 are double-stack mags. I ended up selling the P229 shortly after acquiring the P239.

My honest suggestion would be to ask yourself how you plan on using your Sig. If it's a home-defense unit, I would go big and get a P226 with an extended, pre-ban mag (noticed you're in MA). Otherwise, if you're looking to conceal, get the P239.

I'm not sure what chambering you want, but in the 9mm configuration, you can install an 8-round 9mm magazine that's flush with the grip and then carry one or more 10-round, standard-capacity magazines.

Both are great guns. I never had a FTF or FTE in my 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP Sigs.

I'm definaty getting the 226 for the house and range, I've held both the 229 and 239 in my hands but it's been a while. I didn't even consider the double vs single stack, so the 229 must be noticeable thicker, and not great for spring / summer carry.

I would look to the P239 for conceal-ability, however, I routinely carry a P229 which I like a lot. The P239 was not available when I got my P229.

The biggest thing to be concerned about these days is less than consistent quality control at Sig. If you can get an older used one in good shape it might be the way to go.

I carry a P239 in. 40 most of the time without a problem. For fun the last two days I have been carrying my P226 in 9mm and the P229 is smaller than that. (need one of those too)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

I would look to the P239 for conceal-ability, however, I routinely carry a P229 which I like a lot. The P239 was not available when I got my P229.

The biggest thing to be concerned about these days is less than consistent quality control at Sig. If you can get an older used one in good shape it might be the way to go.

I carry a 229 all the time too, even in the summer.It is my favorite carry gun. With Hogue rubber grips I shoot it very well.When wardrobe permits I will carry a 226. Both in 40 caliber, both with rubber grips. When I need to carry something that is very concealable, I chose the Kahr PM9. It is way smaller than a 239 and can even fit in a pocket comfortably if necessary.

I would worry much less about the size as the weight. If you are comfortable with the weight, conceal-ability is rarely an issue. Cover it with a Tshirt and no one will ever notice. Choose the wrong belt and holster so that you are always adjusting it, or it pulls your pants down and you have a problem.

Figure out what you shoot well, then figure out how to carry it. That is why so many people carry 1911's

They are both way too large for what they are, but the P239 is still way more concealable. So if you have to carry a sig, the P239 is a lot easier to carry.

That said, you can carry a P229 too, if you use a really good belt and holster. Back when I was a Sig fanboi, I used to own two of them and carried one off and on, but I found I carried my P239 a lot more.

Then eventually I discovered a Glock 19 and never carried another Sig, ever again. That's a whole other story, though.

-Mike

I'm with Mark on this one. Normally I carry the 229. It's just more comfortable and concealable than a 226 (although I love the 226). I would not likely carry the 229 or the 239 in t-shirt weather though. I tend towards pocket carry.

My daughter has been shooting my 239 and it is a great fit for her hands. I suspect there will be an FA-10 in my future giving that gun to her. Sniff, sniff, makes a Dad proud!!! She's got her LTC and prods me to go to the range every weekend now.

They are both way too large for what they are, but the P239 is still way more concealable. So if you have to carry a sig, the P239 is a lot easier to carry.

That said, you can carry a P229 too, if you use a really good belt and holster. Back when I was a Sig fanboi, I used to own two of them and carried one off and on, but I found I carried my P239 a lot more.

Then eventually I discovered a Glock 19 and never carried another Sig, ever again. That's a whole other story, though.

-Mike

Jeez, Mike, I trust your opinions implicitly. I'm a Sig fanboy, although as Mark056 says I'm a fan of the older Sigs. Now I'll have to go out and get a Glock 19... damn!

I have a Glock 21 with a bunch of preban mags. There is something comforting about a .45 with 13 rounds. But it would not be too comfie for concealed carry me thinks.

Damn you MIKE!!!

:)

Then eventually I discovered a Glock 19 and never carried another Sig, ever again.
I agree with Mike. A Glock 19/23 works better for me than my P239.

In comparing the 229 to the 239, I find that barrel length isn't much of an issue for concealment when using an IWB holster -- the barrel is inside the waistband of your pants. The issues for concealment are grip length and thickness. The shorter, thinner grip of the single-stack 239 make it easier to conceal than the longer, thicker grip of the double-stack 229.

Jeez, Mike, I trust your opinions implicitly. I'm a Sig fanboy, although as Mark056 says I'm a fan of the older Sigs. Now I'll have to go out and get a Glock 19... damn!

Don't do it just on my account. Try before you buy. I have a 3rd gen 19 you can try out if you want to meet up at a range someday, as well as a few other Glocks.

Also, somewhere I made a stupid video of me doing a size comparison of the G19 to the P228 I used to have, but I never youtubed it because it needs large chunks of it edited out, lest someone accuse me of trying to pull a nutnfancy. [laugh]

I have a Glock 21 with a bunch of preban mags. There is something comforting about a .45 with 13 rounds. But it would not be too comfie for concealed carry me thinks.

I've carried my G21 Hiking, before, but typically in one of those Maxpedition murses. I've carried it OWB before in a Speed Scabbard, but it is a big flippin gun... not that heavy though, given the payload on tap.

Damn you MIKE!!!
:)

I have been accused of being a crack dealer and an enabler when it comes to semi-automatic handguns. [laugh] If the shoe fits....

-Mike

If you do end up getting the 239, I would highly recommend checking out the Hogue grips for it. Makes it much easier to get a firm grip.

And take the Sig haters with a grain of salt...after all, they use tuberware for self defense. :)

No Sig hater here, just prefer Glock to Sig. I carried a 239, .40 for years. Just realized that a G23, then 30, then 36, was a better fit for me. A Sig 239 is a fine choice!

My recommendation would be to carry the side arm that feels the best to you. If you are carrying it for protection, you will have to use it in the worst of circumstances. comfort and accuracy are extremely important. As for concealable, there are many holster that let you carry either in most situation. A great iWB holster, like crossbreed will hide just about anything.

I've fired both and I would carry the 239. It's concealable and shoots wonderfully! On that note I carry a Glock 27 in the summer and a Sig 220 in the winter months. Both great guns!

-Mike

The older Sigs are very high quality from everything I've read and experienced. Do you know the year they went down hill? I wouldn't mind picking up an used one if it's quality is better than new. Thanks in advance for the help Mike!

As far as I can tell roughly 2003 to 2009. lots of complaints about 2005, havent heard many about 2010 to present.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom