Side-by-Side vs. Over/Under for home defense

napoleon1815

NES Member
I've been eyeing the Stoeger double defense shotguns. They have both a side-by-side and over/under version and was curious if there was more to it than personal choice. I heard o/u's are more accurate...and I a would guess a side-by-side is more intimidating. Opinions? Thanks all.

I've been eyeing the Stoeger double defense shotguns. They have both a side-by-side and over/under version and was curious if there was more to it than personal choice. I heard o/u's are more accurate...and I a would guess a side-by-side is more intimidating. Opinions? Thanks all.

A pump is a better choice. No not because of the dam racking sound but because of better capacity and the ability to top of. That said, I'd prefer an AR for home defense.

I really hope you aren't taking Joe B's advice seriously

There's a third option:

2013114123640-chiappa_triplet_m.jpg

The Chiappa Triple Threat [laugh]

It's a side-by-over-by-side.

Have your cake and eat it too. They should come up with one that has 8 barrels and looks like a Gatling gun.

Is this a serious question?

Unless you can bullpup or sbr I really dont think shotguns are good for home defense. Its almost too easy for someone to grab the barrel and gain control.

Just my own opinion.

Also my living situation is in a townhouse in boston. So there is collateral damage to worry about and some fairly tight cqb to consider. For those reasons I prefer glaser blue rounds in my officers 1911.

OK let me rephrase...I am not necessarily looking to use this for HD...I have other shotguns. I basically want to add a classic style like this for the range. I need one that will shoot slugs and many of the older ones (Savage Model B, etc.) don't have the right chokes for this.

OK let me rephrase...I am not necessarily looking to use this for HD...I have other shotguns. I basically want to add a classic style like this for the range. I need one that will shoot slugs and many of the older ones (Savage Model B, etc.) don't have the right chokes for this.

In that case, side by side for sure.

Unless you can bullpup or sbr I really dont think shotguns are good for home defense. Its almost too easy for someone to grab the barrel and gain control.

Just my own opinion.

Also my living situation is in a townhouse in boston. So there is collateral damage to worry about and some fairly tight cqb to consider. For those reasons I prefer glaser blue rounds in my officers 1911.

I disagree! If you have a gun and are worried that someone might grab the barrel, you need more training. An 18" Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 is easily maneuverable for home defense. Also bird shot (#7-9) has low recoil and at 10' if you hit your target in center mass (again more training) there is very little chance of going through multiple layers of drywall.

Unfortunately, home intruders aren't painted bright orange and don't wait until you say "Pull!" until they come at you. And you can't just say **** it if you miss twice.

If you have other shotguns, i'd use those for HD. especially if one's a pump. IMO no shotgun collection is complete without a classic break barrel side by side.

I disagree! If you have a gun and are worried that someone might grab the barrel, you need more training. An 18" Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 is easily maneuverable for home defense. Also bird shot (#7-9) has low recoil and at 10' if you hit your target in center mass (again more training) there is very little chance of going through multiple layers of drywall.

Please tell me you're kidding about the #7-9 bird shot.

1. #7 to #9 birdshot is for clay pigeons. I'm going pheasant hunting later this year and I am not going to use shot that small. For pheasants...
2. For home defense, I wouldn't go with either a SxS or a O/U. A GOOD O/U doesn't really exist under $1000. There's the imported Turkish O/Us, like the CZ shotguns, but they're not completely reliable like say an 870 Wingmaster. As for SxS, its got a 2 shot capacity. Granted you can get faster shots off than a guy with a pump, but if you had a semi auto, you'd have that fast ability and more capacity.
3. It depends on where you live. A cloud of buckshot or birdshot will take out a wall and windows and can go into someone else's yard. 12 gauge birdshot normally has a maximum effective range of 60 yards. Because of this, don't be afraid to use a rifle or pistol for HD instead. Shot won't just stop because you hit the target, there's a lot of it and it'll travel. It might even hit the people and pets you're trying to protect, whereas one bullet from a rifle or pistol will hit only what you aim at and maybe the stuff behind.
4. If you want a slug gun, get an 870 and put a slug barrel on it. Or get a bolt action slug gun. Or an Ithaca Deerslayer.

Single shot bolt is what you want. Very accurate. Especially when the barrel is against the forehead.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

He's not kidding. At very close range bird shot hits like one mass and will devastate a would be intruder. Lots of folks using a shotgun for hd believe in this because of fears of over penetration. I personally like 4buck for hd if I was to grab my shotgun. However I'd grab my 9 until I can get to my AR.

**** that use a 12g slug with dragons breather mixed in every other round worse case you burn the house down with the perp not able to get out. When your in mass and shoot in self defense you become a perp in the ag eyes.
Figure a crispy critter, For a dead body and a burnt down house would make it harder for the ag to build a case against you.

**** that use a 12g slug with dragons breather mixed in every other round worse case you burn the house down with the perp not able to get out. When your in mass and shoot in self defense you become a perp in the ag eyes.
Figure a crispy critter, For a dead body and a burnt down house would make it harder for the ag to build a case against you.

Favim.com-8742.jpg

A pump is a better choice. No not because of the dam racking sound but because of better capacity and the ability to top of. That said, I'd prefer an AR for home defense.
I keep a Remington 870 12 gauge and a stainless Mini 14 for home defense. But the side-by-side double also has a lot going for it. The classic "coach gun" with exposed hammers can be left loaded indefinitely with hammers decocked and no stress on magazine springs. Just cock hammers and pull trigger to fire. Very simple and reliable.

- - - Updated - - -

He's not kidding. At very close range bird shot hits like one mass and will devastate a would be intruder. Lots of folks using a shotgun for hd believe in this because of fears of over penetration. I personally like 4buck for hd if I was to grab my shotgun. However I'd grab my 9 until I can get to my AR.
It makes a rat-hole-tunnel type wound and even the wad enters the body, so it would be a big mess. If the perp somehow manages to survive, the wound would likely end up badly infected.

I used to laugh at it myself. I'm more of an 0000 buck kind of guy, but "collateral damage" was mentioned in the living arrangements.

The video doesn't make my argument, but it does show that a makes a mess.

Here is another on birdshot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom