Side-by-Side vs. Over/Under for home defense

Its not so much the size of the shot in bird rounds but the lack of powder.

I'm drawing a blank on what it's called . It's a type of rock that when you break it , it's kinda looks like a deep purple glass. The shards are razor sharp , guess native Americans used it for blades etc.
Any way my dad has loaded some rounds with it . I don't think a doctor could fix the mess it would make .

I'm drawing a blank on what it's called . It's a type of rock that when you break it , it's kinda looks like a deep purple glass. The shards are razor sharp , guess native Americans used it for blades etc.
Any way my dad has loaded some rounds with it . I don't think a doctor could fix the mess it would make .

Obsidian?

Its not so much the size of the shot in bird rounds but the lack of powder.

You're shooting inside your house, you're not shooting at a deer at 25 yards. Like I said , I am a 0000 buck guy, but the poster brought up the fact that he lives in a town house. He's worried about accidentally shooting his neighbor.

i personally would not use something with such a low capacity to defend the house. SxS or O/U? neither.

my place is small, my HD gun is my P30.

If both intimidation and ammo capacity are what you want, clearly you need the 870 master key:
qo69ug.jpg

AR-15 with a 12 gauge pump mounted M-203 style. Best of both worlds, and who doesn't need an extra five pounds out at the fore-end of their AR?

Back when I was poor in the early 80's and all I had was a Dan Wesson .357 mag for SD, and a Win 1400 duck gun, I did some tests with both on phone books. At the time, I reloaded the .357 with shotshells using #5 and #4 shot. At close range that penetrated the phonebook at same depths as the shotgun. I figured using the .357 would be better for maneuvering. I loaded the first 2 rounds in the cylinder with the shotshells, and the last 4 with regular magnum bullets. Figuring I'd be groggy from being woken, my aim with the shotshells wouldn't have to be perfect but it would spread the damage around until I got to the regular bullets for the "closing".

Buy an old side by side , saw of the butt a good portion of barrel , instant home defense. then it is use as a throw down when cops show. COME ON , GET WITH THE PROGRAM.

I disagree! If you have a gun and are worried that someone might grab the barrel, you need more training. An 18" Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 is easily maneuverable for home defense. Also bird shot (#7-9) has low recoil and at 10' if you hit your target in center mass (again more training) there is very little chance of going through multiple layers of drywall.

Agree to disagree?

I can transition from pistol to wingchun way faster and more effectively with a pistol than a shotgun of length 26+ inches. In fact I can do most wing chun with a pistol in my hands.

Dont know what wingchun is? Look it up!

Its just a super effective cqb hand to hand form. I dont follow it religiously or anything but I take the good stuff and mix it with krav maga (jewish karate).

It works for me. My chosen home defense pistol is a 1911cco in .357sig with glaser blue slugs.

Im all sorts of wierd that way.

I don't agree with choosing a pistol for home defense. Why go lightweight when you're not going to carry it more than a few dozen feet?

I figure one of the advantages of being the defender is that you can choose to plan around a defensive weapon and ammo with the optimum ballistics for your situation, and that is significantly heavier and larger than what an intruder would choose to carry along on a burglary.

I prefer my 10.3 SBRed AR with 75 gr TAP for HD.
Now here's a guy with the right idea.[mg]

Agree to disagree?

I can transition from pistol to wingchun way faster and more effectively with a pistol than a shotgun of length 26+ inches. In fact I can do most wing chun with a pistol in my hands.

Dont know what wingchun is? Look it up!

Its just a super effective cqb hand to hand form. I dont follow it religiously or anything but I take the good stuff and mix it with krav maga (jewish karate).

It works for me. My chosen home defense pistol is a 1911cco in .357sig with glaser blue slugs.

Im all sorts of wierd that way.

You said you won't use a shotgun because you have a fear of someone grabbing your barrel.

I disagree! If you have a gun and are worried that someone might grab the barrel, you need more training. An 18" Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 is easily maneuverable for home defense. Also bird shot (#7-9) has low recoil and at 10' if you hit your target in center mass (again more training) there is very little chance of going through multiple layers of drywall.
Dick Cheney couldn't kill a friggin pussified, paper pushing, lite beer drinking lawyer with that birdshot crap, and you want me to protect my loved ones with it? Go 00 buck or go home.

Dick Cheney couldn't kill a friggin pussified, paper pushing, lite beer drinking lawyer with that birdshot crap, and you want me to protect my loved ones with it? Go 00 buck or go home.

What was the distance he was shot at? Every caliber and gauge has a limit.

My point was it doesn't take much to penetrate plywood. Lots of little pellet wounds might look ghastly but is no rival to penetration

I was keeping it in the context of the 10' scenario.
The average charge of 12 gauge # 7 shot is 1oz.
That's equal in weight to a 12 gauge slug
At 10 feet most if not all of the shot is still contained in the wad almost equaling a solid mass ,traveling at 1100-1200 feet per second.
Pretty devastating .
At 25 yards you'd most likely just be in for a long day at the ER having shot picked out.

I was keeping it in the context of the 10' scenario.
The average charge of 12 gauge # 7 shot is 1oz.
That's equal in weight to a 12 gauge slug
At 10 feet most if not all of the shot is still contained in the wad almost equaling a solid mass ,traveling at 1100-1200 feet per second.
Pretty devastating .
At 25 yards you'd most likely just be in for a long day at the ER having shot picked out.

The key is the powder charge is roughly 1/3 as a slug.

If both intimidation and ammo capacity are what you want, clearly you need the 870 master key:
qo69ug.jpg

AR-15 with a 12 gauge pump mounted M-203 style. Best of both worlds, and who doesn't need an extra five pounds out at the fore-end of their AR?

what no G.R.A.D. 22? I remember seeing one years ago that was a bayonet mount. I always thought it would be interesting (not practical mind you, just interesting) to have a little mini shooter for after you run out of ammo for the real gun... Granted you couldn't use one in mass unless you have a pre-ban AR with the lug still on it...

gradfightct.jpggrad-knife-gun.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom