shtf alcohol stock?

I believe a column still would get it there...even a pot still if you ran it through a few times.

not likely to distill that high outside of industrial settings or OCDed moonshiner.

Also you can use high strength vodka as fuel, portable burners or gas additive.

The reason vodka is 80 proof ... who knows the answer and who discovered this shit, anyone?

forget about the booze, dope is the way to go. Lighter, no bottles to break much higher dollar return per area and weight of storage.

I have *very* close friends who use to make potato vodka, but that would be illegal so *I* had nothing to do with it.

back on topic.....anyone able to suggest good brandy and whiskey for me to check out? thanks.

if it's just SHTF booze why not just get cases of Jack or Beam? Couple nice bottles of single malts on hand too.

Can't help you on brandy, I don't drink that garbage ;)

I think JD would be a good barter item. Those square bottles have a certain appeal to them. It's good enough , and not too expensive.

I drink single malt , but infrequently , and in small doses. Usually , mostly.. Fine. Whatever. ... See that guy ? He's looking at me ... I'm gonna kick his ass ...

Unless you're planning to drink it yourself, I'd avoid larger bottles.

nips and half pints might be the most portable and handy for barter. Could be cheap in bulk and are sealed individually in smaller denominations

JD, Absolut, Makers Mark.

stock up on smokes too.

Can you still get the 100% Everclear in RI? That was great stuff to mix with. Maraschino cherries soaked in it were awesome.

I've packed away some nice stuff, but some 'barter nips' sound like a great idea.

AFAIK(was in Providence 3 weeks ago.....) you can

I try to buy personal favorites (e.g. SoCo) every know and then. I usually buy two, one to enjoy "soon" and another that gets "inventoried". I figure having a few dozen gallons of hard alcohol is a wise investment. If you have the space, perhaps more.

Unless you're planning to drink it yourself, I'd avoid larger bottles.

nips and half pints might be the most portable and handy for barter. Could be cheap in bulk and are sealed individually in smaller denominations

JD, Absolut, Makers Mark.

stock up on smokes too.
A good point. Smaller sizes would certainly be better for barter. Just stay away from the plastic bottles. Glass keeps better.

Vodka vodka vodka vodka. The cheap stuff would be fine. You can mix it into whatever and its a dandy antiseptic.

See here for the Bosnia War checklist. Page 4, Section 7:

Trade alcohol.
o ―I had lots of alcohol and traded it without problems. Alcohol consumption grew over 10 times as compared to peacetime.
o ―The cheapest whiskey is a good trading item.

back on topic.....anyone able to suggest good brandy and whiskey for me to check out? thanks.

if you're stocking for SHTFI don't think you need to worry too much about quality. If you drink, store what you drink. If you don't, just find a mid range cost wise brandy and whiskey or even vodka. I would also shop the sales. It won't much matter what it is in SHTF. If it is being used for medicinal use, cheaper is better. for trade, mid range will do because no one will be trading for quality stuff. I would check with the staff at a locally owned liquor store (in MA)and make my purchases in NH personally. I have a great store across the street from my business in Ma where I used to buy and now only use for research purposes.

Evan Williams Whiskey (86 Proof) -- Excellent quality and dirt cheap (If you buy it in NH, of course). [smile]

I don't care for regular brandy, so have no suggestions on that, but do keep some Allen's 100 proof Ginger Brandy on hand for winter cold and flu season.

That's my 2¢

1298382636_Evan_Williams.jpg

forget about the booze, dope is the way to go. Lighter, no bottles to break much higher dollar return per area and weight of storage.

I have *very* close friends who use to make potato vodka, but that would be illegal so *I* had nothing to do with it.

AFAIK, it it Ok to distill/brew for family use -- it's when the stuff is for sale the ATF have issues with it (They want their cut).

Last edited:
Almost, it is just shy of 200 proof though.

Not to go all Chem E on you but you can only get to 190 proof using standard distillation. 100% alcohol, 200 proof requires tertiary distillation involving an additional chemical such as benzine. I used 100% ethanol for lab work and the bottles still had to have tax stamps on them. The legal paperwork to get and store pure ethanol is insane

As much as you can store, just like ammo. Hard liquor is great for medicine, better, and to take the apocalyptic edge off, beers and wine are just great.

I don't know nothing about that prepping stuff, but I've read that a 350 bottle wine rack can be built pretty cheap and takes up pretty much no space as it is mounted on the wall.

Then you get to try to keep it stocked. Or so I've read.

Back
Top Bottom