saw this improvised alcohol stove

Looked kind of cool and interesting. Not sure how useful it is or how long it might last.

I've made one from normal size cans. Works so-so and will do for warming something. If you need to boil a decent size pot of water those little alcohol stoves lack the BTU's. Think of them as any other backpacking stove on its lowest possible setting. That said, it was a fun and quick project.

I've done my share of backpacking including the AT 100 mile Wilderness and a couple two week 150 mile treks in the Rockies. I've settled on this for 1 or two people:

shopping
Snow Peak stove, yeah you have to deal with a cartridge or two but the stove weighs nothing and packs into a ~1.5" x 1.5" by 3" case. You only need a small back-up supply of matches because it has its own igniter.

For groups or larger pots to boil:

shopping
MSR Whisperlite Intl. Burns several types of fuel though white gas is best.

This looks like a nice/fast/efficient Hobo Stove that runs on a single tin can and some alcohol and puts out some BTUs.
The JetBoils and MSRs are great if you are out for a while and plan ahead.

The "little" stoves are more for Pyros with some time on their hands...

I've built all kinds of alcohol stoves but this one looks very good. I'll let you know when I empty my next can of beans...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom