Show on ABC's 20/20 Tonight (4-10): "If I only had a gun"

we need to start playing by their rules.

if you or I were part of an organization that repeatadly defamed ABC with slanderous remarks, they'd prob lawyer up and sue for libel.

I wonder how many gun owners in a class action suit it would take to get ABC's attention. libel is a tough thing to go after legally, but it would be fun to see them burn dollars to defend themselves.

Why not hammer home the point of the Florida town where they know who killed someone how they killed someone and yet the person is not in jail.
Last time I checked murder was banned and thats not being enforced but make guns illegal and Im sure they can enforce that. Garbage.
My girlfriend doesn't love guns but she saw this and said wow people are really stupid. It wasn't an original idea but she did point out how education would have helped.

Ummm. I think I must have missed the section where the ABC "journalists" told us about the people who actually successfully defend themselves with firearms. Can someone tell me which section of the show that was?

What's that you say? No info to that effect was given? And this is journalism?

It seemed like complete propaganda to me![angry]

Good point. John Rosenthal is quietly putting his putting his wallet back into his pocket, because he was thinking of paying for an infomercial like this, but damn, he just got it for free!!!

I think a LOT of gun owners are emailing ABC from their web site. Took forever to sent them an email. Told them how much I enjoyed their hack, one sided reporting. It was nice that they didn't talk about the hundreds of criminals that were stopped by lawful gun owners. That I also hope it convinces some congress people to try and enact stricter laws so we can find out who they are and get them voted out just like back in 94.

Will never hear back from them, but I wonder how many emails they will actually get over this. I'm betting a LOT, not that it will do anything.

I went through page after page after page of comments on their website, and could not find one commending ABC and their report. It's starting to seem to me that anti gunners are the minority yet they have so much pull.... very strange[thinking]

That's for sure.
Glocks for only $450 ?, who do they think they're kidding? [wink]

In free states - that is true, but not here.

As a side question - what were those Glock training guns they were using in the classroom simulation? Those were an interesting training tool.

I kept telling myself not to watch this show, but I didn't listen, and now I'm annoyed at myself for wasting an hour of my time. I kept hoping there might be something positive said about being an armed citizen, but I guess I expected too much from ABC.

I kept telling myself not to watch this show, but I didn't listen, and now I'm annoyed at myself for wasting an hour of my time. I kept hoping there might be something positive said about being an armed citizen, but I guess I expected too much from ABC.

Same here. I kept saying "5 or 10 minutes from Stoessel (sp) will put this shit in it's place. waiting....waiting... waiting ... never came.. ug.

... Garbage.
My girlfriend doesn't love guns but she saw this and said wow people are really stupid. It wasn't an original idea but she did point out how education would have helped.

That's what ABC wants the public to conclude...

That the 'average' gun owner is too stupid, is too poorly trained, and carries too recklessly/cavalierly to be armed.

I suspect they feel pretty good about what they 'accomplished' with this. Remember that their audience wasn't law abiding, thoughtful, well trained legal gun owners.

It was EVERYONE ELSE they'll need to support taking away our rights.

Well I learned that I am completely incompetent and should not own a gun, because I will probably shoot myself, friends, and innocent bystanders. Most likely any future children that I may have will probably find said gun in a drawer and proceed to shoot all their friends and the gun will end up getting sold via a loophole to a bunch of what must be legal gun owners in florida that like to celebrate the setting of the sun by firing into the air and into crowds of people.[wink]

I really wish I hadn't sat through that. But now that I have, I will describe what we all hopefully already know: why the classroom scenario they provided proves absolutely nothing:

1. The majority of these students were introduced to these firearms THAT DAY. Even those who had previous experience obviously had never had non square range practice. These are all skills anyone who is serious about self defense practices.

2. The classroom itself is an atypical setup. Most lecture halls are larger, and therefore provide more hiding places, and more locations for a person to defend themselves to come from. Not all classrooms in colleges are lecture halls, so all mass shooting scenarios can't be generalized to this.

3. If those statistics on how prevalent guns are here in America are true, more than one person would be armed in that classroom. The students shouldn't be saying dodge this, its dodge THESE! That shooter is going down before he can kill everyone.

4. Most of the well known mass shootings took place as a room to room affair. That means that maybe the hero that stops the massacre is not in the room the travesty starts in. Maybe he/she ambushes the shooter in the hall or the next room after being alerted by the gunshots.

5. The 'hero' was always in the same place. So your telling me a new shooter with minimal training cannot defeat the police officer/firearms trainer with years of experience, the element of surprise, and knowledge of the only gun in that rooms position. Ok, that is obviously how it works in the real world.

I hate that these numb nuts can preach this bullshit and none of the sheep will be the wiser. Its always the evil conservative media doing wrong, but the liberal media is just so great.[angry]

The biggest smear of all, that I noticed, thinking about the "shooting back" segment, how much they lied there.

They said "people would be running" etc etc... evidence indicates, however, that at least at VT, people basically sat there while cho shot them, save for the one older guy that tried to do something.

They also didn't bother to disclose the ability level of the BG.

The "let's throw the defender a curveball" trick was also pretty underhanded
as well.. Outside of television, how many spree shooters employ sleeper agents in the crowd? [rolleyes]

What a f**king hose job. [angry].

-Mike

I really wish I hadn't sat through that. But now that I have, I will describe what we all hopefully already know: why the classroom scenario they provided proves absolutely nothing:

1. The majority of these students were introduced to these firearms THAT DAY. Even those who had previous experience obviously had never had non square range practice. These are all skills anyone who is serious about self defense practices.

2. The classroom itself is an atypical setup. Most lecture halls are larger, and therefore provide more hiding places, and more locations for a person to defend themselves to come from. Not all classrooms in colleges are lecture halls, so all mass shooting scenarios can't be generalized to this.

3. If those statistics on how prevalent guns are here in America are true, more than one person would be armed in that classroom. The students shouldn't be saying dodge this, its dodge THESE! That shooter is going down before he can kill everyone.

4. Most of the well known mass shootings took place as a room to room affair. That means that maybe the hero that stops the massacre is not in the room the travesty starts in. Maybe he/she ambushes the shooter in the hall or the next room after being alerted by the gunshots.

5. The 'hero' was always in the same place. So your telling me a new shooter with minimal training cannot defeat the police officer/firearms trainer with years of experience, the element of surprise, and knowledge of the only gun in that rooms position. Ok, that is obviously how it works in the real world.

I hate that these numb nuts can preach this bullshit and none of the sheep will be the wiser. Its always the evil conservative media doing wrong, but the liberal media is just so great.[angry]

Plus the "shooter" is a "trained" police officer. How many of the large scale shooters had a high level of training. Like I said to my wife, I would rather have a gun and not be able to get the damn thing out of the holster than have no chance at all.

What a f***ing crock of steaming liberal shit that was.

While the show was airing, I pulled out my P90 , and familiarized both my kids to the proper handling and operation of a semiauto pistol. ( Unloaded, of course) Even my 10 YO thought the moving guys were complete idiots. "Dad, why is he looking down the barrel without clearing the gun?" [rolleyes]

I think ABC uses the same talent pool that Leno uses for "jaywalking".

I was surprised by the program...it was actually much worse then I expected it to be. [angry]

Let me give the condensed version for those of you who missed it:

1) Guns are bad

2) Only bad (or foolish) people own guns

3) A cell phone is much better than a gun

4) Gun shows are bad because people buy and sell guns there

5) If you're threatened with deadly force, you're much better off running/hiding/faking death then fighting back

6) Crazed killers are all calm, cool, highly-trained executioners; all average citizens with guns are irrational, irresponsible and inept

If I'm exaggerating, it's not by much - it was that bad. A real hatchet job. Where do I go to get 60 minutes of my life back?

I didn't waste my time watching it, but I don't suppose they covered the ENORMOUS BENEFIT of being armed in a national (or natural) disaster, the magnitude of say....hurricane Katrina.

Running and hiding, while relying on law enforcement doesn't help much when there's no police response available and in some cases, the cops are part of the problem because they're either also frightened, corrupt, or tending to their own emergency needs.

The points they were trying to make:

1) Having a gun does not make you any safer in a mass shooting incident....and you might shoot someone accidentally.

2) Your gun may be picked up and misused by a child.

3) Anyone can get a gun.

We have youTube and can fight back with some video footage of our own. Maybe a competing news program would be willing to air a counterpoint argument if we make it.

Point #1 could easily be restaged and filmed by a number of us getting together with some camcorders and simunition. it would be interesting to take some folks that shoot IPDA/USPSA and see how well they do in a REAL WORLD scenario. The point could be made that with a small amount of practical shooting experience in a real world scenario a CCW IS useful.

Point #2 is fought with a 30 second video clip of some common easy access firearm safes that we all use.

Point #3 is basically true and any attempt to fight it risks giving TPTB ideas about registration etc.

Comments?

I was just surfing through the comments and I think this one is my favorite:

"Thank you 20/20 for finally helping me to make up my mind. I'm going to renew my NRA membership."

It's about time the media demonstrated the guts to bias their reporting to favor the criminal and the agressors. The profession is dangerous enough without having to be concerned whether intended victims are lawfully armed and able to protect themselves. It may not work but thanks for having the guts to report the kind of drivel that only ABC has been known to in the post. Lunitics and felons can sleep a little better knowing you tried to help to make their lives safer.
ACA11111 8:03 AM

My spin!

I posted this on another forum I frequent.

We need to ZUMBO this. We are our own worst enemy. If we put the pressure on like we did with Zumbo for as long as Zumbo we "might" get the other side shown by someone like John Stossel. Start emailing, mailing, and calling until me get noticed!!

yup

i saw a clip of this, looked like a class room, one student had a fake
semi auto. the BG entered and the young man jumped up and tried to
draw his gun but could not, it got stuck in his shirt. claim is that he
would have been shot.

I can't speak for the student but getting up would not be my first choice.

guess i'll wait to see the whole thing.

JimB

there's an hour of my life I didn't waste.

I was down the street having beers with the boys, as one of them was discussing getting an LTC (this guy was anti gun a year ago) becasue he can see what's going on around us.

Back
Top Bottom