Should ranges/gun stores know the law?

Are you a Libtard moonbat? Because that statement is disingenuous at best, or a outright slanderous lie at worst. The Gun Parlor has never worked for the AG. They made a mistake and I agree they were 100% wrong in thinking they could reason with unreasonable people.
You're right, he only sends all his 4473s to her for free.

"Shouldn't [fill in the blank] know the law?". Yes, perhaps, in a perfect world, but you'd be surprised how many people are ignorant about legal implications of things they regularly do. Not limited to gun store employees.

(I live near a school, and there are a couple of teachers who park their cars on an adjacent two-way street every day: with left wheels to the curb. Illegal, at least in this town. Ever see kids playing basketball or street hockey in the street? Ditto.)

The problem isn't that these folks don't know the law, but rather that they are purporting to give legal advice. Ignore it and move on.

1) MA gun laws are so complicated that the number of people who truly understand them is minuscule.

2) Gun store clerks are not highly paid nor are they firearms attorneys. It isn’t surprising that many of them are misinformed about MA gun laws.

Agree totally, but go back to what RKG said: "The problem isn't that these folks don't know the law, but rather that they are purporting to give legal advice. Ignore it and move on"

Way too many people seem afraid to say "I don't know", or "I'm not sure".

I like this range in the city that’s close to me. They are cool with full auto, they keep the place safe and toss idiots out on the regular. I was with my kid shooting my registered M4 and the RO interrupted and asked to see my stamp. I know I can tell him to f-off, I only have to show my stamp to the ATF. It’s private property though so it’s their rules, I relent and go for my copy of my stamp. I look at the stamp and it’s for a suppressor that is not attached to the rifle, I don’t have a copy of the M4 stamp or the correct can. I calmly hand him the form and he scratches his chin and hands it back, carry on he says.

Should they know the law? Maybe, but sometimes ignorance has its benefit.

Just keep shooting. Know the law and follow it as your conscience and temperament dictate.

Some gunstore employee's ignorance isn't your problem. He had the same opportunity you do to educate himself, and chose not to. Why you'd lose any sleep or start a thread about it is beyond me.

"But," you'll say, "if I don't debate him, I can't convince him. And if I can't convince him, he'll dispense wrong advice to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes through here!"

No. It's not your job. You're not his teacher, you're not there to save Tom, Dick, or Harry, and those three yahoos have the same resources you do to get educated. Not your problem.

Just keep shooting.
^^^Best advice!

A similar story on a different subject. I provided free online user support for Microsoft Windows products for 10 years and MS awarded us "MVP" status (which got us resources and development contacts that mere mortals can't get without paying $$K/year). I was in CompUSA one day (Framingham) and a clerk was trying to convince a woman to buy a Windows 95 machine, telling her that it was bulletproof and that the OS never crashes! I just minded my own business. Some MVPs used to challange the clerks and try to correct them and were litterally kicked out of the stores for doing so. It just doesn't pay to get involved like that and the same could happen in a gun shop if you persist even if 100% correct.

If you do talk to someone in charge at the mystery shop you should suggest that the employee joins NES and gets a free education on the highly regulated industry he’s working and dishing out legal advice in.
Sadly there is plenty of bad info here as well. One needs to know WHO the knowledgable posters are here and ignore the resto

"Shouldn't [fill in the blank] know the law?". Yes, perhaps, in a perfect world, but you'd be surprised how many people are ignorant about legal implications of things they regularly do. Not limited to gun store employees.

(I live near a school, and there are a couple of teachers who park their cars on an adjacent two-way street every day: with left wheels to the curb. Illegal, at least in this town. Ever see kids playing basketball or street hockey in the street? Ditto.)

The problem isn't that these folks don't know the law, but rather that they are purporting to give legal advice. Ignore it and move on.
Actually parking facing the wrong way is illegal per MGL C. 90 everywhere in MA (unless on a 1-way street). This is based on two factors: the law requires that one park with their right side wheels no more than 3' from the curb, and the law prohibits driving on the wrong side of the road (which you have to do to park there as well as when you exit the parking space). I thoroughly vetted this info with one of our PD C. 90 gurus as this was a real issue at some houses in my neighborhood and one day the driver actually cut me off exiting his wrong way parking space as I was driving down his street (he always parked like that every evening).

My guess is the one in Bridgewater. Only b/c he doesn't seem real. . . . . in reality all the time.

Shawsheen Firearms in Billerica.

!

Shawsheen - the bane of any kid in a town that was T-Z when you used to have to listen to the radio for the school cancellations. "SHAWSHEEN VALLEY VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL" took about 45 min to say.

I like this range in the city that’s close to me. They are cool with full auto, they keep the place safe and toss idiots out on the regular. I was with my kid shooting my registered M4 and the RO interrupted and asked to see my stamp. I know I can tell him to f-off, I only have to show my stamp to the ATF. It’s private property though so it’s their rules, I relent and go for my copy of my stamp. I look at the stamp and it’s for a suppressor that is not attached to the rifle, I don’t have a copy of the M4 stamp or the correct can. I calmly hand him the form and he scratches his chin and hands it back, carry on he says.

Should they know the law? Maybe, but sometimes ignorance has its benefit.

LOL

I had an experience about 20 years ago. Was practicing my pitching at a local pitch-and-putt. They had a deal where you could play for an hour for $5 on weekday mornings. So it's me and my buddy and a completely empty lame-ass course. We're just working on bump-and-run and pitches and stuff. We aren't even putting. Just getting some practice in.

We are THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE.

So this 19yo "kid" comes over from the maint. vehicle. "You're gonna have to play these holes in order."

"What?"

"You're going to have to play the holes in order. That's the rules."

"Yeah. We're on that $5-for-an-hour thing. We're just practicing."

"Gotta play em in order."

"Ummmm, there is no one here but the two of us. We're just practicing. If someone comes along, we'll certainly play correctly. But it's just us."

"Look, am I going to have to ask you to leave?"

"No."

"OK, then."

He drives away. We go back to doing what we were doing.

All he knew was he had to be in charge. He had no idea of the rules or how they pertained or who was a problem or not. That man has to be 35-40 now. I hope he was able to stuff some more brain matter into his skull and get a job that paid more than minimum.

Not knowing the law is no excuse for breaking the law. Isn't that how it goes? So the question "Should so and so know the law?" seems disingenuous. And as another posed said and I will reiterate: HK USP's are "on the MA list".

Rules to live by: Don't feed trolls. Don't get into internet debates. Don't talk to gun store employees or police about actual laws

I'm a little flustered. I was practicing with my carry gun tonight at my range, which is also a store, and while talking to an employee I mentioned that I owned an HK USP. He promptly stated something along the lines of "watch out, that's not mass compliant, you should be careful". We spent the next 20 minutes or so going over this topic. I tried politely to explain that its all about what the dealer can and can not do, and that there is nothing about simple possession that makes it illegal. The majority of the time my mentality was "I want this fellow gun enthusiast to know they have the right to possess damn near anything they want, because freedom" but as the conversation continued, and they become more dismissive and borderline hostile, it started to be more like "As an employee of this store/range, you are seen by others as an authority on this subject, you shouldn't be giving people legal advice that is flat out incorrect"

Its not as if I can point to a law that expressly allows it. And saying "show me the law that says I can't" isn't really going to help educate the person I am debating. I left pretty flustered as I was borderline asked to leave and "take your argument somewhere else".

Am I missing something? Is it really a grey area? Or is this just par for the course and no one outside of the NES world knows about the reality of MA legislature?

No, you're not, not to mention the employee is retarded, the USP has been "compliant" for a long ass time now, not that it actually matters.

Laws don't "allow" things either, they only expressly prohibit things, for the most part.

-Mike

Actually parking facing the wrong way is illegal per MGL C. 90 everywhere in MA (unless on a 1-way street). This is based on two factors: the law requires that one park with their right side wheels no more than 3' from the curb, and the law prohibits driving on the wrong side of the road (which you have to do to park there as well as when you exit the parking space). I thoroughly vetted this info with one of our PD C. 90 gurus as this was a real issue at some houses in my neighborhood and one day the driver actually cut me off exiting his wrong way parking space as I was driving down his street (he always parked like that every evening).

Len, I'm missing something here. The right wheels should be within 12 inches of the curb or edge of the roadway when parking. Are you referring to something else wrt the 3'?

At least the advice being thrown around here is policed to some extent. Bad advice tends to get shouted down more often than not.
If the thread is really bad, I oftentimes just "move on" and don't even try to correct the misinformation. In the early days I did correct everything that I found to be wrong, but it caused me to burn out, so I don't let it get to me anymore.

Len, I'm missing something here. The right wheels should be within 12 inches of the curb or edge of the roadway when parking. Are you referring to something else wrt the 3'?
I see few cars within 12" of the curb. I may be mis-remembering the exact statutory distance and no I'm not about to search for it. This was a very long time ago that I inquired about it. In any case, parking on the wrong side of the road is illegal regardless of distance to the curb.

I had an experience about 20 years ago. Was practicing my pitching at a local pitch-and-putt. They had a deal where you could play for an hour for $5 on weekday mornings. So it's me and my buddy and a completely empty lame-ass course. We're just working on bump-and-run and pitches and stuff. We aren't even putting. Just getting some practice in.

We are THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE.

So this 19yo "kid" comes over from the maint. vehicle. "You're gonna have to play these holes in order."

"What?"

"You're going to have to play the holes in order. That's the rules."

"Yeah. We're on that $5-for-an-hour thing. We're just practicing."

"Gotta play em in order."

"Ummmm, there is no one here but the two of us. We're just practicing. If someone comes along, we'll certainly play correctly. But it's just us."

"Look, am I going to have to ask you to leave?"

"No."

"OK, then."

He drives away. We go back to doing what we were doing.

All he knew was he had to be in charge. He had no idea of the rules or how they pertained or who was a problem or not. That man has to be 35-40 now. I hope he was able to stuff some more brain matter into his skull and get a job that paid more than minimum.

"Cite, please?"

A store should know the law, that affects them.

If they're telling you the law(s) that affect you, they should be a cop, or your lawyer.

It's YOUR job to know the laws that affect you.

My kid had to verbally destroy a Cabela's Berlin employee that insisted the bolt-action rifle he had, needed a trigger lock for transport. If he had said it once, then dropped it when my son told him, "No, I don't," instead of following him from the gun dept. to the front of the store, he would not have come back in (after properly securing it for storage in his car) with the relevant MGLs on his phone.

When I do hunter ed, and I answer law-related questions that are not addressed in the curriculum, I ALWAYS preface my answers with "IANAL." My state-issued ID gives me the aura of authority.

If the thread is really bad, I oftentimes just "move on" and don't even try to correct the misinformation. In the early days I did correct everything that I found to be wrong, but it caused me to burn out, so I don't let it get to me anymore.

I see few cars within 12" of the curb. I may be mis-remembering the exact statutory distance and no I'm not about to search for it. This was a very long time ago that I inquired about it. In any case, parking on the wrong side of the road is illegal regardless of distance to the curb.

Ok, that was my misunderstanding...parking on the wrong side of the road. For general parking on the correct side of the road, it is within 12" of the curb for the right side wheels, which is what I was referring to. My baaaaad!

He promptly stated something along the lines of "watch out, that's not mass compliant, you should be careful".
1hd5dy.jpg

1) MA gun laws are so complicated that the number of people who truly understand them is minuscule.

Police, State and local, cannot understand MA gun laws. My local Sargent when I was renewing my LTC would ask me about the legislation changes since my last renewal.

2) Gun store clerks are not highly paid nor are they firearms attorneys. It isn’t surprising that many of them are misinformed about MA gun laws.[/QUOTE]

You might as well ask about MA state insurance laws at a car show.

All he knew was he had to be in charge.

The most important person in the world is the dump guard. 3 teeth, drunk with a 6 pack in his rusted out 1973 maverick, and if you cannot dump your trash, he owns you.

Back
Top Bottom