• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ShotSpotter being tested in New Bedford

You know what else might muffle the percussion of a firearm? A torso.. LoL. If there is a way to manipulate the system I'm sure people will find it. They have absolutely nothing else better to do. I'm sure of it.

The problem is not the technology, but the persistent need for "authorities" to know more and more and more about everything that goes on. It starts with picking up gunshots, but can move on to more sinister or abusive reasoning. Do we really want to be a society that is always being recorded on video/audio everywhere we go? I'll assume these systems are being put in places you can't go outside to shoot if you wanted to normally.

Did people think decades ago that the authorities would be able to listen to conversations without a warrant, or probe you at the airport, or raid your house with SWAT on flimsy evidence? Well all these things are happening now and every bit that contributes to gives them more power and they will never yield it again.

exactly. I don't care if it works perfectly. I don't like it.

Are our cities that bad that we need to employ military equipment to track the locations of gunshots?

Maybe it would be better to just burn them down and start over.

Yes they are. Compared to European cities. If we compare them to south America or some Asian cities, then they are not that bad.

You really think no one reports gun shots in cities? You can test that theory out by going to springfield and firing off a couple into the ground. Let me know how that works out for you.

In a random neighborhood, everyone calls. In a neighborhood frequented by gang members, where everyone knows each other, not everyone might call.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but...

What happens when someone does a driveby, the police get the location and it just so happens that one of the houses in that location, the owner has a LTC and firearms.

Does that authorize a "no knock" warrant?

Are our cities that bad that we need to employ military equipment to track the locations of gunshots?

Maybe it would be better to just burn them down and start over.

Military technology frequently makes it's way to the civilian market. Helicopters used for both police and medevac missions were inspired by their use in the Vietnam war. Much of the technology used in two way radio in the early days was based on WWII experience. Not to mention advances in trauma care that always come from military experience. The entire commercial airline industry post WWII was based on the vast number of pilots who were trained and the advances in aircraft design.

Just because it's technology developed for the military doesn't mean it's only useful in wartime.

Wasn't the 1911 developed for use by the military? Should we not use it because that would mean our cities are so bad that we need to use military firearms? Sounds like a good reason to ban semi auto pistols to me.

This is all a pile of shit!

What really amazes me is that the people in charge of this are able to hit a pile of sand in the back of a f'n truck.

If they really want to cut down on crime in this city, close the damn borders and stop issuing free housing and welfare cards. You'll see the human garbage wash away into the next free hand out dump. Honestly when I see an old timer and his wife walking in downtown NB, I wanna stop and offer my condolences for what at one time was one of the greatest and richest cities in this country filled with hard working pioneers but has been reduced to a free handout land of scumbag, non English speaking, drug dealing, welfare deadbeat scum****s!

I feel sorry for the people that built New Bedford with blood sweat and tears only to let it be turned into a prison chow line.

Honestly when I see an old timer and his wife walking in downtown NB, I wanna stop and offer my condolences for what at one time was one of the greatest and richest cities in this country.....

My family is from fall river, but i grew up in NB, and i'm torn, part of me wants to leave the Commiewealth, but i can't leave the ocean and i love the history... And if my.wife and i were to leave, that'd be two less good people in the city....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Military technology frequently makes it's way to the civilian market. Helicopters used for both police and medevac missions were inspired by their use in the Vietnam war. Much of the technology used in two way radio in the early days was based on WWII experience. Not to mention advances in trauma care that always come from military experience. The entire commercial airline industry post WWII was based on the vast number of pilots who were trained and the advances in aircraft design.

Just because it's technology developed for the military doesn't mean it's only useful in wartime.

Wasn't the 1911 developed for use by the military? Should we not use it because that would mean our cities are so bad that we need to use military firearms? Sounds like a good reason to ban semi auto pistols to me.

It is not "we" using the advanced equipment these days, it is the police. You can't get the same things they have, and they like it that way.

What really amazes me is that the people in charge of this are able to hit a pile of sand in the back of a f'n truck.

If they really want to cut down on crime in this city, close the damn borders and stop issuing free housing and welfare cards. You'll see the human garbage wash away into the next free hand out dump. Honestly when I see an old timer and his wife walking in downtown NB, I wanna stop and offer my condolences for what at one time was one of the greatest and richest cities in this country filled with hard working pioneers but has been reduced to a free handout land of scumbag, non English speaking, drug dealing, welfare deadbeat scum****s!

I feel sorry for the people that built New Bedford with blood sweat and tears only to let it be turned into a prison chow line.

I don't have a problem with the Shotspotter system other than that they likely could have used the money for more productive things to prevent crime. I don't see this as "well obviously next they are going to start audio recording you all the time". Unless the system was specifically designed for it, its not like you can just flip a switch and it starts recording and logging audio.

I'm old enough to remember when the tenements in New Bedford were filled with hard working people from the mills and the docks. Breaks my heart to see the POS living in them now. Mills ran non stop year round except for the first two weeks of July where every mill shut down for yearly maintenance. The whole city was on vacation. You could walk almost anywhere without issue. Shops and bakeries have given way to pawn shops and check cashing storefronts. When you were standing on a corner and a Cop told you to move along you did. And don't go home and tell you're Dad about it. You got no sympathy there. Likely a lecture how you should have been doing something constructive.
We had immigrants but they came through the front door and not over a fence. And they worked hard. A fair amount left school at 16 when their parents thought that was enough education. All the old mill towns have gone this way.

Last edited:
I can see the printout this 4th of july.... shots fired at the Esplanade... it says by the decibel reading there are .50 cal rifles, grenade launchers and small mortar fire... all units respond!

Stop letting Government spend Dollars untill they learn how to make "CENTS"

exactly i live in New Bedford and i hear fireworks almost every night in the summer, how does this system distinguish a firework from a firearm. Im a little skeptical.

My family is from fall river, but i grew up in NB, and i'm torn, part of me wants to leave the Commiewealth, but i can't leave the ocean and i love the history... And if my.wife and i were to leave, that'd be two less good people in the city....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

People who choose to shovel shit against the tide usually get swept away by it.

Leave now while you still have the opportunity, the sanity and the ability to rechart your future, otherwise your future will be chosen for you. There is no nobility in saving a sinking ship of fools....and every major city in Ma**h***chusetts is just such a ship.

exactly i live in New Bedford and i hear fireworks almost every night in the summer, how does this system distinguish a firework from a firearm. Im a little skeptical.

The system analyzes the frequencies which are different between gun shots and fireworks. Humans can differentiate the differences too, once they are trained to do so. I'm not trained, but someone pointed out the differences and I can tell with fair accuracy which I'm hearing when I'm sitting in the hood.

Once again, I apologize for being handicapped by knowing something about the system.

Oh, I've worked on the Esplanade both before and after the shoot spotter system was installed and there have not been reports of shots fired at any time. Also the system is not installed in that part of town because shootings are pretty rare over there.

The system analyzes the frequencies which are different between gun shots and fireworks. Humans can differentiate the differences too, once they are trained to do so. I'm not trained, but someone pointed out the differences and I can tell with fair accuracy which I'm hearing when I'm sitting in the hood.

Once again, I apologize for being handicapped by knowing something about the system.

Oh, I've worked on the Esplanade both before and after the shoot spotter system was installed and there have not been reports of shots fired at any time. Also the system is not installed in that part of town because shootings are pretty rare over there.

i know humans can tell the difference, i can most of the time, but i didnt know the system analyzed the frequencies, thats pretty neat. Like someone posted earlier how effective is the system gonna be if there is a drive by though. But i guess something is better than nothing as long as its not abused.

I think the system is likely effective at detecting gunfire but I don't really think it will dramatically increase the number of arrests. Yeah, when a gangbanger is showing off his new "gat" to his buddies and pops a shot in the air and they hang around afterwards, maybe... but if there is a shooting anywhere I doubt anyone involved in it is going to hang around until the cops show up anyways. Even with this system in place, LE response time will still be very long in a typically underfunded big dump city anyways.

-Mike

Most electronic systems that do stuff like this will use some form of Fourier transform to decompose the signal into its constituent frequencies. You can then compare the unknown signal to a set of known signals (various gunshots) and see if anything matches closely enough.

WARNING: Math ahead!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform

The systems uses DSP (digital signal processing) and waveform analysis to detect the different sounds. More advanced version of a glass break detector, it analyzes sounds for the distinct sound breaking glass makes. If you saw the waveform of a gunshot vs fireworks on the screen you could easily see the difference even with an untrained eye.

We have all here heard gunshots, and best way to describe it is a sharp snap sound, and breaking the sound barrier also has a very distinct signature. With the technology available today it is fairly trivial to make the detection rate reach near 100% (in terms of detecting a gunshot vs other loud noises).

And getting to the scene, or even knowing there is a scene, is very important, the quicker the better. The real 'problem' comes if your city has a high instance of "random gunfire", ie: firing guns into the air/at the ground not during the commission of any crime. If this happens a lot in your city, it starts to eat up resources if police are dispatched to every one of these.

Last edited:
When there was a thread about this being put in in Springfield, wasn't it mentioned what the up-keep was for the system. It was in the 10's to 100's of thousands a year or something wasn't it?

Fireworks and firearms don't have the same sound signature. It would be trivial for DSP to discern a gunshot from a car backfiring or fireworks.

-Mike

There was something on the vehicle mounted ones on history channel. They use the sound of the gunshot & the sonic crack of the round to trace it back to the source. I would suspect these work much the same way.

If you subscribe to the theory that random gang gun violence makes politicians go crazy writing new (and in effective) gun laws to try to curb it.....the shot spotter is a great idea. Some homie lets loose...and a cop car shows up 1 minute later...homie gets caught and thrown in prision for illegal discharge in city limits, or worse.

Legal gun holders benefit.

The technical concept is pretty simple. Sound travels slowly, so the processing hardware can be real slow (probably less than 1 msps). They have a microphone, some amplification, and a dsp processor that detects the exact time the gunshot is received. If they pick up the same shot with at least two microphones, they have two guesses at where the gun shot came from (where those time of flight circles intersect). If they have 3 microphones pick it up, they know exactly where it came from. More microphones yield even more precision. Since the gunshot is an impulse waveform, echos really do not cause a problem, as the dsp processor simply picks the earlies gunshot to arrive at the microphone and ignores later echos. They can time stamp the impulse response, and wirelessly transmit it to a central processing center for higher powered algorithms to be used.

Last edited:
"ShotSpotter will cost the Police Department about $150,000 a year to operate" That $950,000 grant pays for 6 years and then what?

Works in Brockton. When I say works, I mean most of the last few shootings the news story mention that the police responded due to an alert on the Shotspotter alerting them. The most recent tragic shooting of a women leaving church was reported via Shotspotter and the shooter was caught.

Back
Top Bottom