Shotgun Load for Home Defense

Beecher Tool

Banned
I just got the paperwork back on what is about to become my new "home defense go to gun"......replacing a Winchester 2100 Police Special 18" barrel 12 gauge I have had for twenty years...always kept it loaded with 00 buck which is what I used with the prior shotgun which was an Ithaca 37. The new shotgun is a bit fancier...its a Benelli M3 which is a convertible semi-auto or pump that holds 7 rounds. Went through the NFA process to set it up as an SBS with a 14.5" barrel....it ought be a real monster. Based upon a bunch of discussions and research, I am debating switching my primary defense round to 3" magnum #4 steel jacketed shot as it puts out 40+ pellets.....may not have the penetration power of #00 but, the reading I have done suggests it produces a much more devastating wound track.

Any thoughts.

I used to load one salt...2 #00 buck, and then switch to rifled slugs...at this point I am thinking #4 in 3" the whole way out..but I had never really thought of #4 over #00....can't wait to see what the recoil is like out of a shorty.

Matter of what you think is ... Fun , I think.

Because , seriously - are you actually concerned about shooting a bad guy that is going to live through a couple rounds of boring old fashioned 00B ?

I wouldn't call it fun...my own preference would be to nail him with my SCAR 17 but that has penetration issues. [smile]

If you can find #1 Buckshot, it's a great balance between #00 and #4. At one time I had some combination loads that had 3x #00 + 9x #1 + 18x #4 - The combination provided 30 total pellets with a wide range of penetration, but I haven't seen anyone loading them any more, so you'd have to custom load them at a home press these days.

If you're hesitating on the #4 Buckshot because you're concerned about the lose of penetration, check out Hevi-Shot's "Dead Coyote" brand #4 Buckshot in 3" magnum shells. Using a heavier and harder tungsten-bismouth alloy they offer deeper penetration than standard #4 lead with much higher pellet counts than #00 Buck.

Also, keep in mind, that for almost 50 years, #4 Buckshot was the police shotgun load of choice.

I run the federal reduced recoil 00 buck with the flight control wad. Wont make you blind deaf and dumb like a 3inch mag and still keeps all 9 pellets on the paper at 50 yards from a 14 inch mossberg. Then again mine is not just for indoor work. Ymmv.

Federal Flite Control #1 Buckshot. 00 it too much penetration with family around in an urban or suburban environment. The flite control wad gives nice tight patterns for indoor use. 15 pellets at 1,100 FPS.

Last edited:
You could always use bird shot on a extra full choke. If this is for home protection you'll be shooting at a max of what, 20ft? You should be able to do some real damage with that #6 shot without any penetration issues.

You could always use bird shot on a extra full choke. If this is for home protection you'll be shooting at a max of what, 20ft? You should be able to do some real damage with that #6 shot without any penetration issues.

Yeah, but without penetration there is no fun.

Last edited:
run slugs in semiauto mode, unless your lines of fire have over penetration issues. one slug hit will be devastating.

Why do people do the slug buck slug buck thing? That doesnt make any sense. Would you load ball, hp, ball, hp?
As for the birdshot crew, birdshot = pissed off, buckshot = dead.

While on the subject of Shotguns, I have a Remington 870 with a 20" slug barrel that I'd like to use for home defense. I've been trying to find definitive information on the Mass laws regarding extended magazines on shotguns. Am I allowed to add an extended magazine? If so, how many rounds? I bought the gun in 1975, it hold 2 3/4" shells only (no 3" magnums)

Why do people do the slug buck slug buck thing? That doesnt make any sense. Would you load ball, hp, ball, hp?

Let's not forget that Dick Cheney shot a mofo IN THE FACE, and didn't do much more than piss him off.

If you're going to use a shotgun for home defense, you need to use a load that will put down a human being. If you wouldn't use it on a deer, it's no good for humans.

While on the subject of Shotguns, I have a Remington 870 with a 20" slug barrel that I'd like to use for home defense. I've been trying to find definitive information on the Mass laws regarding extended magazines on shotguns. Am I allowed to add an extended magazine? If so, how many rounds? I bought the gun in 1975, it hold 2 3/4" shells only (no 3" magnums)

It's not a semi-auto; do what you like.

Let's not forget that Dick Cheney shot a mofo IN THE FACE, and didn't do much more than piss him off.

If you're going to use a shotgun for home defense, you need to use a load that will put down a human being. If you wouldn't use it on a deer, it's no good for humans.

QFTMFT

While I certainly did what I wanted wrt magazine extensions while living in MA, and encourage people I care about to do the same, trying to comprehend MA law wrt to shotgun feeding devices is like trying to figure out how to divide by 0. There is a thread somewhere that LenS spelled out the opinion of that douche Glidden that states tube magazines on shotguns can be extended, if that puts your mind at ease.

Birdshot through an extra full choke at close range is more than enough to do the job....I've seen it firsthand

Back
Top Bottom