Shotgun Deer season

Spent 2.5 hours in stand this morning. Temp. was nice and woods very quiet.
Lots of geese, tree rats and wood peckers. No hooved creatures spotted.
Only heard 2 shots off in the distance.

I love hunting . But i live in a state were it takes about 6 plus months to get a FID card . May 1st i called to make an appointment to drop of my application . Aug 7 dropped of application . called Today for update , application still being processed . Hopefully i will get it by next hunting season . Good luck hunting , Post some pics

I didn't win a doe tag for zone 9. If anyone has one they can't use, please let me know and what you'd like for it.

Doe tags are not transferrable....

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work. The three man push is effective.
I note that in MA "driving deer" is prohibited. Is a small 2-3 walk through of woods toward a couple of watchers considered "driving deer"?
Any one know how that's defined?

Deer drives are perfectly legal....

was in the tree a few min before 7 stayed till 1045 nothing but squirls. gonna do the second half of the day today prob climb up at 130-2

Nice work. The three man push is effective.
I note that in MA "driving deer" is prohibited. Is a small 2-3 walk through of woods toward a couple of watchers considered "driving deer"?
Any one know how that's defined?

Where in the hell did you hear that?

guys i think we can give him a break now; he's been corrected (twice) and admitted he was wrong...no need to [horse]

Yeah I went back to edit the post after I saw he corrected it..........oh well. Shit happens. [grin]

was out in the stand about half an hour before shooting time until around 11am. Again I saw nothing. I did have two hunters walk right by my stand about 10 yards away. One dude acted like he didn't even see me, the second guy started talking to me. The dude that started talking at least had the courtesy to find a different way out to the main path, but the other guy came back the same way and since he was done for the day and the only person on the planet he was spitting and coughing the entire way past me. To top it all off I catch up to him in the parking area outside the forest and he throws all his trash from his lunch right in the woods... dick!

Will be out bright and early tomorrow (Thurs & Fri as well.) Gonna hit up Douglas State Forest and hope for the best. Anyone hunt near Webster? I've seen a bunch of trucks parked across the street from Barlett HS (Kleibart St. I think it is.) Any idea if that is private or public land? I've been back in those woods in the summer time and have never come across any no hunting/trespass postings. I've also seen quite a few deer back there on my hikes. Just curious.

Honestly, I cant seem to get interested in using the shotgun this year. I think bow season is going to keep on going for me. At least until the temp drops a bit more.

My 10 year old boy sat with me for the 1st time ever tonight. He was awesome for the 1st 20 minutes and then got restless. I figured no way will anything come out and was ok with that because my boy was with me. 5 minutes before calling it quits, a small racked 7 pointer came out about a 100 yds from our ground blind. I told the boy to grab the binos and confirm that it was a buck and not a doe. He yells, "It has antlers, shoot it". The boy has a knack for running a blood trail! The buck ran about 30 rds in a semi circle and was down about 20 yds from where we shot it. My boy says the whole experience was really cool! This was zone 8 in Shrewsbury. Anyone recommend a good deer butcher in the Worcester area?

Attachments

• JakesDec3 2013.jpg
    JakesDec3 2013.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
That's awesome! Nothing like some quality time spent... and heck, you came away successful! That's just icing on the cake. I'v heard Stearn's Meats in Charlton is good. Was thinking that's where I'd be headed if I'm lucky enough over the next few days.

That's awesome! Nothing like some quality time spent... and heck, you came away successful! That's just icing on the cake. I'v heard Stearn's Meats in Charlton is good. Was thinking that's where I'd be headed if I'm lucky enough over the next few days.

Thanks Biscuit! Stearns butchered a hog for me this past October. Quality was good but I had to wait longer than I was told. I'll give them a call in the am.

Thre is nothing wrong with buckshot, like all loads they have their place, but please pattern it in your gun before you hunt with it. You will likely be surprised how fast it opens up and what the real effective range is.

JMO,

Bob

If I'm in the stand I'm rocking sabot slugs in a rifled barrel. If I'm in the scrub, I'm rocking 00 buckshot. So the answer is - it depends.

Remington premier accutips in my rifled barrel. Don't use buckshot in a rifled barrel. The rifling slings the buckshot out in a large donut pattern.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom