Shotgun Deer season

Good luck and be safe everybody. I only have 1 day of vacation left before the end of the year so its Saturdays only for me.

Hey this is my first year deer hunting. The law says that you can hunt 1/2 hour before dawn for deer. Does that mean I have to wait until then to walk into the woods or I just can't call/shoot before that time?

Hey this is my first year deer hunting. The law says that you can hunt 1/2 hour before dawn for deer. Does that mean I have to wait until then to walk into the woods or I just can't call/shoot before that time?

I was taught to not load my gun until 30 mins before but YMMV. I've always walked in well before then just with unloaded gun. And no matter what the law, seems like a smart strategy. I don't want to be temped to shoot at a "deer" when I don't have enough light to see its a golden retriever. Or a 60 year old woman.

You can go into the woods at 1am if you really want to but no shooting can occur until 30 mins before sunrise...I've found when bow hunting you cant see well enough to see your pins until 30 mins before sunrise anyways...

Good Luck all; stay safe. Unfortunately I can't get out until the end of the week. [sad]

- - - Updated - - -

I was taught to not load my gun until 30 mins before but YMMV. I've always walked in well before then just with unloaded gun. And no matter what the law, seems like a smart strategy. I don't want to be temped to shoot at a "deer" when I don't have enough light to see its a golden retriever. Or a 60 year old woman.

+1 I heard a former EPO say one time that he waited at the trailheads after the end of legal light for people clearing their tubes and he would bust them for hunting after hours.

I'm heading out too.....only one vacation day available so this is about the only shot I got

5 of us went into a spot we know holds deer. 3 of us push to 2 guys and one of them took his first deer at about 8:30. Nice clean shot right through the ticker.
20131202_081446.jpg

5 of us went into a spot we know holds deer. 3 of us push to 2 guys and one of them took his first deer at about 8:30. Nice clean shot right through the ticker.
View attachment 86818

Nice work. The three man push is effective.
I note that in MA "driving deer" is prohibited. Is a small 2-3 walk through of woods toward a couple of watchers considered "driving deer"?
Any one know how that's defined?

holy crap, never saw so many hunters in the woods in my life! Just hunkered down in one spot for a couple hours, then walked out....did not want to look like a buck to anyone this morning!

holy crap, never saw so many hunters in the woods in my life! Just hunkered down in one spot for a couple hours, then walked out....did not want to look like a buck to anyone this morning!

+1, probably the most dangerous day to be in the woods is opener for shotgun. I stay as far away as possible. I'll be out Saturday for a couple hours in the am and the last 2-3 hours of sunset. I have a buck down already from archery so anything I get from now is a bonus. I have one more buck tag and a doe permit, the wife still has all her tags as well.

I was pleasantly surprised NOT to see any other hunters. I was up & in my stand by 5:15. Stayed until almost 11, then did a slow still hunt out. Bumped two does. Still hunted back in about 2:15, and stayed in the tree until 4:35 or so.

I'm in a great spot. It's where I shot my 2010 buck, and my trail camera has got a four- and six-point buck, as well as plenty of resident does. I may hunt midday tomorrow instead of the split.

Bummed I didn't pull a doe tag this year.

I was 10 feet away from being ran over by 4 does. They put the brakes on abput 10' from me and paused a few seconds and then scattered. The buck was able to run out of my range as. No doe tag for me either.

I was out in boxford state forest from shooting time until 1pm. Didnt see or hear a thing, neither did anyone I ran into either.

Hunted Shrewsbury today. The woods were dead quiet except for the 3 other hunters I saw while hanging in my tree stand. I had two hunters see me and still walked within 20yds of my stand.

I didn't win a doe tag for zone 9. If anyone has one they can't use, please let me know and what you'd like for it.

Heading back out for sunrise. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Had a fun day!

Yeah I know....second shot in leg.......but he's still hanging in my garage !

Attachments

• 20131202_201601.jpg
    20131202_201601.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom